The Library Publishing Coalition Blog is used to share news and updates about the LPC and the Library Publishing Forum, to draw attention to items of interest to the community, and to publish informal commentaries by LPC members and friends.
June 15, 2021
Call for applications for 2021-2023 LPC Fellowship Program
We’re excited to announce a call for applications for the third round of the LPC Fellowship Program
. The fellowship program is intended to broaden access to library publishing to underrepresented groups, to develop research capacity in the field, and to bring new voices into the LPC community. This round of the fellowship program is centered around research, and it is aimed at library publishers who are interested in learning to do research that advances the field of library publishing. Fellowship benefits and responsibilities are scoped accordingly. Fellowships span 2 years, beginning in October 2021 and ending in September 2023. Up to two fellows will be selected. Applications are due by Monday, August 9, 2021.
LPC Fellows receive numerous benefits, including access to LPC member resources, travel support to attend the Library Publishing Forum each year of the fellowship, mentorship, and regular meetings with LPC staff and leadership. To support their research activities, this round of fellows will be provided with targeted mentorship relationships and professional development and peer support around research through LPC’s Research Committee.
Fellows are expected to undertake a research project in the field of library publishing, which they will work on throughout their fellowship. Applicants are not expected to have a research project in mind or experience doing research prior to starting the program. Fellows will serve as members of the LPC Research Committee, where they will both contribute to and benefit from that committee’s work. Fellows will write 2 to 3 blog posts per year for the LPC blog (previous posts can be found in the Fellows Journal category
on the blog) and present at the 2022 and 2023 Library Publishing Forums
. For more details about the fellowship, visit the program webpage
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates should be:
- Currently employed in a library that is not a member of the Library Publishing Coalition
- Able to dedicate 1 to 2 hours per week to the fellowship throughout the 2 years
- Interested in developing research skills
- Able to attend meetings during North American business hours
Fellows will be selected by the Board based on the following criteria:
- Strong candidates will have professional responsibilities related to library publishing in their current position, which could include running a publishing program or developing a new program.
- Strong candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to professional development in library publishing or scholarly communication. Candidates who are interested in sharing the knowledge and experience they gain during their fellowship with other professional communities will be prioritized.
- Strong candidates will bring new perspectives to the LPC community. Candidates from underrepresented groups or regions that do not yet have professional communities related to library publishing will be especially competitive.
- Fellows will be expected to communicate with the LPC community through writing and presenting. Strong communication skills are required.
Applications are due Monday, August 9, 2021, and all applicants will be notified by September 30th. Applications will include:
- An application form (demographic info, etc.)
- A C.V.
- A writing sample
- A letter of support from library dean or supervisor (as appropriate)