Re: A possible GFDL compromise

The goal of invariant sections, ever since the 80s when we first made
the GNU Manifesto an invariant section in the Emacs Manual, was to
make sure they could not be removed.  Specifically, to make sure that
distributors of Emacs that also distribute non-free software could not
remove the statements of our philosophy, which they might think of
doing because those statements criticize their actions.

Changing the GFDL to permit removal of these sections
would defeat the purpose.

Nowadays we have to struggle constantly against the tendency to bury
the free software movement and pretend that we advocate "open source".
So I don't think we can conclude that such precautions are no longer
necessary.