This page documents a community policy for Wikimedia technical spaces.
In the interest of fostering an open and welcoming community, we are committed to making participation in Wikimedia technical projects a respectful and harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sex, sexual orientation, disability, neuroatypicality, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, political affiliation, or religion.
Technical skills and community status make no difference to the right to be respected and the obligation to respect others. Newcomers and other contributors with limited experience in our community deserve a welcoming attitude and constructive feedback. Prolific contributions and technical expertise are not a justification for lower standards of behavior.
Harassment and other types of inappropriate behavior are unacceptable in all public and private Wikimedia technical spaces. Examples include but are not limited to:
- Personal attacks, violence, threats of violence, threats of legal action, or deliberate intimidation.
- Offensive, derogatory, or discriminatory comments.
- Gratuitous or off-topic use of sexual language or imagery.
- Inappropriate or unwanted attention, touching, or physical contact (sexual or otherwise).
- Inappropriate or unwanted public or private communication, following, or any form of stalking.
- Unwanted photography or recording.
- Disclosure of a person's identity or other private information without their consent. Disclosure of some identifying information is not consent to disclose other identifying information.
- Inappropriate or unwanted publication of private communication. Publishing or reporting private communication or personally identifying information for the purposes of reporting harassment (as explained here) and/or in the case of whistleblowing, is acceptable.
- Harming the discussion or community with methods such as sustained disruption, interruption, or blocking of community collaboration (i.e. trolling).
- Discrimination, particularly against marginalized and otherwise underrepresented groups. Targeted outreach to such groups is allowed and encouraged.
- Using the code of conduct system for purposes other than reporting genuine violations of the code of conduct (e.g., retaliating against a reporter or victim by filing a report claiming their response was harassment).
- Attempting to circumvent a decision of the Committee, e.g. unblocking someone during a period the Committee banned them.
People who experience or observe unacceptable behavior are encouraged to follow any of these steps:
- Ask the person who is behaving unacceptably to stop. Make them aware of this Code of Conduct.
- If you are at an event, report the problem to the event organizers, or a designated contact.
- Report the problem directly to the Code of Conduct Committee via techconductwikimedia.org. You can also send a report to the Committee if you reported an incident elsewhere but were not satisfied with the response.
Reports can be as short as a notification with a link, but more information will help us understand what is happening. You can include:
- Your contact information (e.g. Wikimedia and Phabricator usernames), if you want to identify yourself.
- Your account of the incident:
- Where and when it happened.
- A description of the unacceptable behavior.
- Who was involved and who saw it happen.
- Whether the incident is ongoing.
- Any additional information that will help us fully understand the problem, such as previous incidents or special circumstances.
- Links to public records of the incident, if any.
- Screenshots showing what exactly happened.
Reports are processed confidentially. For more information, see Confidentiality
We value each other's contributions and each contributor's commitment to making our technical spaces friendly spaces for everyone. We encourage other projects to adopt and adapt this code of conduct regardless of whether they use Wikimedia technical infrastructure.
Last edited on 2 May 2021, at 04:23
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.