Wikimedia Technical Engagement The Technical Engagement
team in the Technology
department of the Wikimedia Foundation
supports the growth and productivity of technical users who engage with Wikimedia's open knowledge as code creators and API consumers. We plan and execute programs that provide computing resources and support to technical audiences who are building software for Wikimedia. We collaborate with teams in the Wikimedia Foundation, the larger Wikimedia movement, and external organizations to promote the use of the Wikimedia platforms via documentation, sample code, libraries, articles, and reference applications. We actively recruit and mentor new technical contributors who will become the next generation of Foundation staff and FLOSS project maintainers.
The team participates in cross-team and cross-departmental programs focused on technical communities directly and indirectly associated with the Wikimedia movement. The outcomes of these programs include:
- Reducing barriers to technical contribution for new and existing contributors with a primary focus on technical contributors creating bots and tools which fill in workflow gaps for the Wikimedia movement
- Attracting and retaining new contributors to Wikimedia FLOSS projects
- Promoting the use of software resources that extend content contributors and consumers capabilities and insights beyond those provided by the core wiki experience
- Supporting the use of Wikimedia services by Foundation staff, Wikimedia community members, and third-party consumers
- Accelerating the onboarding process for new technical contributors in both volunteer and staff roles
- Supporting technical engagement with Open Knowledge producers and consumers by Advancement, Partnerships, Research, and other Foundation teams
The Cloud Services team (WMCS
) is responsible for maintaining and extending the existing Wikimedia Cloud Services
computing infrastructure, the Toolforge
hosting environment, and many additional supporting technologies used in the Cloud Services environment. The team works in partnership with the larger Wikimedia volunteer community to manage the physical and virtual resources that power the environment and provide technical support to volunteer developers and other Wikimedia Cloud Services users.
The Developer Advocacy team is tasked with supporting the technical communities who use Wikimedia web APIs and software projects to spread and improve free knowledge. They collaborate with teams in the Wikimedia Foundation, the larger Wikimedia movement, and external organizations to promote the use of the Wikimedia platforms via documentation, sample code, libraries, articles, and reference applications. The team also supports programs to actively recruit and mentor new technical contributors who will become the next generation of Foundation staff and FLOSS project maintainers.
A collaboratively written set of guidelines
that we want to follow as a team.
Communication and support
We communicate and provide support through several primary channels. Please reach out with questions and to join the conversation.
Communicate with us
Last edited on 7 October 2021, at 21:36
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.