Confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information/How to sign
The Wikimedia Foundation approved a new Access to nonpublic personal data policy
on 6 November 2018. The former policy remained in force until 15 November 2018 when the processes mandated by the new policy were put into place.
Starting on that date volunteers impacted by this policy were provided with initial notices stating that they were required to sign the policy's confidentiality agreement
by 13 February 2019 in order to maintain their access to nonpublic information.
Volunteers approved for access to nonpublic information after 15 November 2018 are required to sign the confidentiality agreement prior to receiving their access.
Step 1: Create a Phabricator account
How to create your Phabricator account with your Wikimedia account. (English)
How to fill your Phabricator profile. (English)
In order to sign the confidentiality agreement, you must setup a Phabricator account (if you do not already have one):
- Make sure you are logged in to Wikimedia.
- Go to the Phabricator login page.
- Click the sunflower button that says "Login or Register - MediaWiki"
- Approve the connection with MediaWiki.org when prompted to do so.
- Phabricator will ask you for a username (cannot include non-Latin characters such as العَرَبِيةُ or 中华民族). When possible, please use your Wikimedia username. An e-mail address will also be required, but not shown to other users.
- Click on Profile (top right) > Manage (on the left side) > Edit Profile and set your Also Known As (for example, to your full name) to make it easier to search for you and identify yourself on the agreement.
Step 2: Review the confidentiality agreement in your native language (if available)
NOTE: The document intentionally states "X years of age" as the documents actually being signed may say either 16 years of age or 18 years of age depending on the role of the person signing it. The documents on Legalpad which volunteers are signing reflect the correct age for that specific document.
Step 3: Sign the confidentiality agreement on Phabricator
To sign the confidentiality agreement using Legalpad on Phabricator:
- Make sure that you are logged into Phabricator.
- Go to the appropriate agreement on Phabricator's Legalpad:
- Review the agreement again to verify your understanding.
- Verify that your name appears in the "Name" input box under the "Agree and Sign Document" section at the bottom of the agreement.
- Check the "I agree to the terms laid forth above" box.
- Click the "Sign Document" button.
The general confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information is being processed by the Wikimedia Foundation
. Once your agreement has been processed by the Foundation, the noticeboard tracking agreements
on Meta-Wiki will be updated by the Wikimedia Foundation to indicate that your username has agreed (your real name will not be listed, unless it is also your username).
The VRT users confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information is being processed by the VRTS admins
. Once your agreement has been processed by the VRTS admins, the noticeboard tracking agreements on the private VRT wiki
will be updated by the VRTS admins to indicate that your username has agreed (your real name will not be listed, unless it is also your username).
Thank you for completing these steps. You are now legally bound to the confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information and able to access nonpublic information.
Last edited on 26 May 2021, at 16:21
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.