"Local chapter/s" redirects here. To see other possible uses, see Chapters, a disambiguation page. Wikimedia
chapters are independent organizations founded to support and promote the Wikimedia projects in a specified geographical region (in most cases, a country). Like the Wikimedia Foundation
, they aim to "empower and engage people around the world to collect and develop educational content under a free license or in the public domain, and to disseminate it effectively and globally". There are currently 39
chapters, with at least one on every inhabited continent.
Existing chapters, both founded (dark blue
) and approved (dark turquoise
), planned chapters (green
), and chapters in discussion (light blue
) as of 28 August 2019.
There are currently 39 recognised Wikimedia chapters.
The following were recognized Wikimedia chapters during the periods indicated.
Chapters in discussion phase
Chapters in active preparation to become a chapter. You should add here any chapter that is under discussion to be started up. Please provide link to a page (in meta) with more detailed information (at best with a short summary in English) and provide a contact for questions about the present state.
A yellowish background means organizations are currently in active contact (as of the "last update" date) with the Affiliations Committee;
A light grey background means awaiting an update (from the proposed organization? from AffCom?)
A light blue background means the AffCom has asked the Board to approve the organization's formation.
Former chapters in discussion
Chapters formerly in preparation to become a chapter, which have either stalled or been absorbed into other chapters.
Ideas for chapters
In North America
- Wikimedia Mainland China – The discussion of establishing a chapter started in 2009 on Chinese Wikipedia. The discussion was ended due to the political problems and no possibility of being legally incorporated. While the discussion restarted in 2013 when WMF start to recognize User Group, and the Wikimedia User Group China has been recognized since August 2014. There is no further plan for forming a chapter before the NPO can be freely incorporated in mainland China.
- Wikimedia Japan – 設立の是非について投票中です。 The page reads "There are currently no active arguments to establish a local Japanese chapter, mainly because very few Japanese language community members are interested in it. Lack of legal knowledge and accounting skills among the community is also a large contributing factor."
- Wikimedia Nepal विकिमिडिया नेपाल is recognized as a user group Wikimedians of Nepal on 29th May, 2013. Now it is in the way of becoming national chapter. Wikipedia was begun in Nepal on June 3, 2002 with Nepali Wikipedia. Now Wikipedias are avaible in five languages spoken in Nepal. Wikimedia Nepal begun regular meetups and discussions from 17 July 2010. It has been organizing outreach and various programs to promote Wikipedia in Nepal.
- Wikimedia Pakistan is recognized as a user group.
In South America
– Recognized on September 18th as Wikimedians of Ecuador
user group. Still calling for supporters.
In Central America
Composition of chapters
- Ivana Lysholm, president
- Galileo Vidoni, vice-president
- Mariano Pérez, secretary
- Ivana Molena, vice-secretary
- Nicolás Giorgetti, treasurer
- Patricio Molina, vice-treasurer
- Andrea P. Kleiman, member
- Esteban Zárate, member
- Jorge Abreu, member
- Leandro Kibisz, alternate member
- Beatrice Murch, alternate member
- Malena Lorente, audit committee
- Nahuel Kahles, audit committee
- Lucas A. Reynoso, audit committee
Elected 2018-06-02 until 2020.
for an overview of the board positions within Wikimedia Belgium.
Board members (2020)
- President: Geert Van Pamel - User:Geertivp - geert.van.pamel [at] wikimedia.be in Dutch, English or French.
- AnneJea - User:AnneJea - annejea [at] wikimedia.be in French and English.
- Mike - User:Taketa - mike [at] wikimedia.be in Dutch, or English.
In 2021, the Board of Directors is:
Board and Audit committee elected by the general assembly.
Board elected in 2020:
- Board Members
- Thyge Larsen, revisor (auditor)
- Simon Van Studinski, revisor (auditor)
- Board Members:
- Eva Lepik
- Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
- Ursula Erik
- Teele Vaalma
- Audit committee:
for a current list and biographies of board members.
- Board: (elected: 2020-11-21)
- Supervisory committee: ((re-)elected: 2018-05-19)
Board of Trustees (Dewan Pengawas, 24 Jan 2019-31 Dec 2021):
Board of Executives (Dewan Pengurus, 24 Jan 2019-31 Dec 2021):
- Rahul Deshmukh (President)
- Sanket Oswal (Treasurer)
- Yohann Thomas (Secretary)
- Viswanathan Prabhakaran
- Santosh Shingare
A new board was elected on April 13, 2019. On April 18, 2020 two members resigned according to the roster of appointments. The current members of the board:
- Justus de Bruijn, secretary
- Lizzy Jongma, open knowledge and partnerships
- Bart Nieuwenhuis, treasurer
- Jan Bart de Vreede, çhair
- Michel Wesseling, fundraising
Updated 2019-03-31 Elected board as of annual meeting 9 March 2019:
Board is elected by General Assembly for a two-year term. Board elected in 2020:
A new board was elected on September 1, 2018. The current members of the board:
- General Assembly
- Supervisory Board
- Rodrigo Barbano, president
- Mariana Fossatti, secretary
- Jorge Gemetto, treasurer
- Gustavo Ginares, ordinary member
Mailing lists and wikis
Apart from public mailing lists
(most notably Chapters-reports
) and websites listed elsewhere, there are two main private channels for communication and coordination among chapters, which existing chapters must follow and participate in:
- Internal wiki and Internal-l – Local Chapters, board and officers coordination: each chapter can subscribe an unlimited number of board members (as of 13th August 2010), with an e-mail to the list admin by the president; additional members can be subscribed following the usual procedure (endorsement by a subscribed person + consensus on wiki);
- Chapters wiki and chapters mailinglist for discussions and decisions among chapters: each chapter can subscribe unlimited board members (and some staffer) and an email by the president of the chapter to the list admins with the list of email addresses to add/remove is the usual process; there are also other lists for working groups, generally subsets of the previous one, apart some more open lists (e.g. GLAM).
Wikimedia chapters related news and announcements
- ↑ Is the chapter formally recognized as a Nonprofit organization under its nation's laws? "n/a" should be used if the country's laws do not recognize a nonprofit status.
- ↑ corporation information
- ↑ A small no profit association doesn't require the formal approval. It's sufficient to follow the law and to have a bylaws compliant with to the law. The tax exemption has been formally approved .
- ↑ All associations are non-profit by definition in the Czech republic.
- ↑ All associations in Spain have Non profit status.
- ↑ Wikimédia Magyarország is a registered association at the Court and all registered associations are non-profit by definition in Hungary. Wikimédia Magyarország is recognized as "organization for the public benefit" status which means: transparency requirements, tax exemptions, tax deductibility etc.
- ↑ Based on Wikimedia Indonesia Board of Executive Meeting.
- ↑ Officially approved by Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism of South Korea since 2015.
- ↑ At the founding team's request, the provisional approval was extended by the WMF executive director until April 2013.
- ↑ Officialy recognized as Wikimedia México A.C. (civic association) under Mexican laws since February 2013.
- ↑ There is no separate official non-profit status. However, we have been granted charity status (ANBI) by the tax office since January 2010, which, among other demands, requires that the organization is a non-profit by its bylaws and operates as a non-profit in practice. During 2012 we were busy to prepare the chapter for the CBF certificate for 'small charities'.
- ↑ All associations are non-profit by definition in Poland
- ↑ All organizations in Portugal have Non profit status.
- ↑ All associations are non-profit by definition in Serbia.
- ↑ board resolution here
- ↑ Announcement from the Affiliations Committee, Feb 7th, 2017.
- ↑ Announcement from the Affiliations Committee, Sep 9th, 2017.
- ↑ Announcement from the Affiliations Committee, Aug 13th, 2017.
- ↑ Announcement from the Affiliations Committee, April 22nd, 2017.
- ↑ Wikimedia movement affiliates/Formerly Active Affiliates
- ↑ internal.wikimedia.org
- ↑ chapters.wikimedia.ch
- ↑ Chapters mailing list
Last edited on 24 April 2021, at 16:04
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.