There are more than 130 public libraries across South Australia - all FREE to join.
Thanks to One Card, SA library customers can now use any of these libraries with a single card and have access to over 4 million items. This provides convenient access for the whole community to the entire public library collection.
to complete the online registration form where you can nominate the public library you expect to use most often to pick up the items you place on hold (for most people, this library would be the one that’s nearest to home or work).
By registering online you will be able to immediately place items on hold using the online catalogue
. To collect these items from the library you nominate, we will need to confirm your identity when you visit - check with this library as to the identification you will require.
Want to join at your local public library in-person?
To join you must register with identification - check with your local library as to the identification you will require.
To find your local library, click here.
Once you are a member, you can borrow or access:
South Australia’s libraries also offer access to:
- free Internet and WiFi
- study areas
- laminating, photocopying, printing, scanning and faxing services (note: only available at some libraries)
- community information – notice boards for pamphlets and information about local services and events
- local history – a collection of material related to the history of your area
Many libraries offer great activities and events such as:
- children’s story time and activities
- school holiday programs
- book discussion groups
- Internet training
- computing classes and many other classes
Library staff are happy to help you.
More information about what’s available at South Australia’s public libraries can be found here
Public Library Services is a state government agency which offers support services to the state's public libraries.
If you wish to contact a library please use locate a library here
to get their contact details.
If you’d like your library to acquire a particular book or other lending item, please contact your library directly here - unfortunately Public Library Services cannot process your request.
- Public Library Services
- Department of the Premier and Cabinet
- State Library of South Australia
- Corner North Terrace and Kintore Avenue, Adelaide SA 5000
- Postal address: GPO Box 1971, Adelaide SA 5001
- Tel. (08) 8348 2311 Fax (08) 8223 0964
- Email: ContactPLS@sa.gov.au
- If you wish to contact a library, please use locate a library to get its contact details.