Associate Registrar/Collections Manager
Job Category: Library
Requisition Number: ASSOC01213
Posted: March 2, 2021
Showing 1 location
MA - Boston TFCCS
Boston, MA 02115, USA
Department: Mary Baker Eddy Library
Under the direction of the Manager of Records Management and Special Collections, you will be responsible for supporting the Library’s mission through all aspects of registration and record keeping, as well as for the organization, maintenance and management of records pertaining to the Christian Science field and of special collections for the organizational archive of The First Church of Christ, Scientist. These records include or pertain to printed material, objects, artwork, books, branch church and Christian Science students’ association materials, ephemera, and digital collections.
The Mary Baker Eddy Library is a trusted and authoritative resource on Eddy and the history of the Christian Science movement, providing public access to original materials and educational experiences about Eddy, the ideas she advanced, her writings, and the institutions she founded and their healing mission. Membership in The Mother Church is preferred. The ideal candidate values Mary Baker Eddy’s life and work, and recognizes the Library’s role in furthering the mission of her Church.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Registration Duties (50%)
- Maintains donor logs, accession records, numbering, history and accuracy of records, loan records, and deaccession records.
- Communicates MBEL policies and procedures and assists with questions from branch churches, associations, donors, and interested parties.
- Manages all aspects of incoming donations to the church’s organizational archives and special collections.
- Signs deeds of gift and donor correspondence as an official representative of the church.
- Tracks and develops finding aids as needed.
- Manages legacy donations, including retrospective processing, analyses, including researching “found in collections” items, and donor relations.
- Handles all aspects of interdepartmental and external loans of collections items.
- Regularly reviews inventories and controls of the artifact collection in the special collections, ensuring that items are properly maintained, stored, catalogued and exhibited.
- Serves on the Exhibits team.
Collections Management (40%)
- Manages, documents, and stores donations accepted into the church’s collections.
- Oversees housekeeping for the collections, including arranging for routine cleaning of the stacks, monitoring of environmental conditions, overseeing pest management, and annual maintenance.
- Working with the archivists, oversees all aspects of collections storage and handling.
- Manages projects related to the Field Collection and donations.
- Identifies potential conservation issues within the collection.
Leadership Duties (5%)
- Chairs the Acquisitions Team.
- Supports the MBEL/Real Estate Projects and Operations (REPO) Team.
- Supports the Disaster Planning and Preparedness Committee; supervises disaster planning and preparedness for the collections and the department.
- Serves on MBEL’s Policy Committee to help develop and regularly review policies and procedures related to the church’s collections.
- Attends conferences and workshops as a representative of The Mary Baker Eddy Library.
Researches the Art & Artifact Collection for writing research-based articles and answering queries about the Art & Artifact Collection
Performs other duties as assigned.
STAFF MANAGEMENT AND JOB CONTACTS
Supervisor: Manager of Records Management and Special Collections
Supervises: Interns and staff as needed
Works directly with organizational departments and personnel at all levels throughout church organization, members in the Christian Science field, and donors.
- Master’s degree in Museum Studies or Library Science, or similar subject required
- One to two years of experience in records management, artifact registration, cataloging and classification procedures, and use of metadata required
- Project management experience preferred
- Policy and procedure experience for special collections preferred
- Work experience across a broad range of records management, collections management, registration, or archival projects preferred
- Experience researching within archival collections or business records preferred
- Strong working knowledge of archival and records management theory, practice, and policies required
- Solid analytical and project management skills required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills required
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion required
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and Google Suite
- Familiarity with content management systems and databases
- Ability to learn unfamiliar computer systems quickly including database software.
This position regularly works in an office setting.
Must be able to safely lift and move heavy materials (of up to 30-40 pounds), shelve and reshelve materials within repository areas, and maneuver heavily loaded carts.
Christian Science Information
Membership in The Mother Church is preferred. The ideal candidate values Mary Baker Eddy’s life and work, and recognizes the Library’s role in furthering the mission of her Church.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Powered by UKG