Job Category: Editor
Requisition Number: ASIAE001249
Posted: September 17, 2021
Closed: December 20, 2021
Showing 1 location
MA - Boston TFCCS
Boston, MA 02115, USA
Department: The Christian Science Monitor
The Asia Editor is interested in innovative reporting and committed to covering international news in a way that is highly distinctive, constructive, and solution-oriented.
The Monitor wants to be a tool for readers who want more than news – they want to be a part of the solution. Our Asia coverage is a vital part of this promise, and our team will interact frequently with our audience, through articles, social media, events, and partnerships.
The Asia Editor will work as part of a news desk shaping coverage for our daily output as well as our weekly magazine. In this role, the incumbent will also work to support the international team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Shape, plan and edit Asia stories for the Monitor’s daily output on the web and in its weekly magazine.
- Edit stories of varying styles and lengths, stay abreast of news of Asia.
- Work closely with the International Editor and the paper’s correspondents – staff, contract, and freelance – to choose story subject matter, decide on angles, edit copy to appropriate length, and give general guidance. This person will have strong organizational skills, be able to work in a team, and meet the highest standards for accuracy and excellence.
- Manage freelancer paperwork and payments.
- Work with writers to ensure smooth travel, proper security arrangements, and compliance with CSM codes of ethics as relevant to travel in the region. As part of this, the Editor keeps paper records of relevant travel documents (e.g., passport) of reports.
Editorial capabilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Has demonstrated skills in targeting the stories that matter and giving readers a clear sense of why they matter, based on the Monitor’s distinctive approach that reaches beyond traditional “coverage.” This approach helps readers understand why a story truly matters, based on prioritizing the understanding of others, the outlooks that drive actions, and awareness of paths toward progress.
- Has told or guided stories that approach topics in a variety of styles and lengths, and is keen to explore new ways to tell stories using multimedia and graphics.
- Excels at bringing out the best reporting and writing in correspondents through encouragement and lively editing.
- Has strong organizational skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written and verbal format and build and maintain relationships.
- Team player, with the confidence to take the lead and guide others when necessary.
STAFF MANAGEMENT AND JOB CONTACTS
Supervisor: International News Editor
Regular Contacts: Has regular contacts with other writers/newsroom staff and general public.
A bachelor’s degree plus some newspaper experience or a master’s degree is required.
Experience with Adobe or Google Analytics, Facebook, Twitter, Photoshop, and EZ Publish.
Preference for onsite work in Boston, but may possibly work remotely with periodic visits to the Boston office as needed. Please note: This position cannot be performed remotely from Colorado [at this time] due to local job posting requirements.
Engagement with Christian Science
The First Church of Christ, Scientist, welcomes all applicants, including Christian Scientists.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Powered by UKG