Plaza Activities Associate
Job Category: Hospitality
Requisition Number: PLAZA01117
Posted: March 15, 2021
Showing 1 location
MA - Boston TFCCS
Boston, MA 02115, USA
Department: Plaza Activities
The Christian Science Plaza is a treasured destination for Church members, neighbors, local college students, and visiting tourists. The aim is to offer each guest a thought-changing experience that inspires hope through the “How do you see the world?” exhibits, tours, programs, research and reference services, signage, marketing activities, and web content.
The Associate position provides an opportunity to share Christian Science widely with the public in a number of ways. Reporting to the Assistant Manager, Plaza Activities: Hospitality, this employee serves alternately as a Church Host, Plaza Host, and Mapparium Host. The responsibilities go well beyond the roles traditionally found in hospitality and tourism. This individual ensures that every visitor to the Christian Science Plaza is warmly welcomed, has an educational and inspiring experience, as well as an opportunity to ask questions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Church Host duties (33%)
- Warmly welcomes visitors from all over the world to The Mother Church.
- Must be comfortable sharing Christian Science concepts with the public, and answering visitors’ questions about Christian Science, Mary Baker Eddy, and the Church.
- Able to connect with people of different belief systems, nationalities, and cultures.
- Learns and delivers tours of both the Church Extension and the Original Edifice. Tours vary in length, but typically last about 20 minutes.
- Communicates with colleagues by walkie-talkie to maintain smooth tour flow.
- Graciously corrects misconceptions in a wise and Christian manner.
- Contributes to the daily fruitage report when serving.
- Masters the complex daily procedures of opening and closing two Church buildings, preparing for visitors, and handling literature. Keeps areas welcoming and neat.
- Monitors doors, makes sure no visitor gets lost, and may shepherd large groups.
- Alerts management of issues needing attention.
- Keeps abreast of current developments in Christian Science Publishing SocietyS publications and other Mother Church programs to provide current information for visitors.
- Is committed to learning continually about the history and significance of Mary Baker Eddy’s life, the Church, and the Christian Science movement.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Mapparium Host duties (33%)
- Sells tickets, provides visitor orientation, answers questions about exhibits, gives directions, administers lost & found, receives visitor feedback.
- Assists in opening and closing for the day’s activities, including balancing the cash drawer and making trips to the bank. Masters POS (point of sale system) and handles all transactions.
- Welcomes visitors to the Mapparium and runs sound & light shows.
- Graciously enforces policies, such as no photography inside the Mapparium.
- Constantly monitors the visitor experience, quickly resolving visitor issues.
- Engages with children on tours to provide them a positive learning experience.
- Takes particular care of visitors with special needs (handicapped access, etc.).
- Helps maintain clean and organized public spaces and alerts others to equipment malfunctions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Plaza Host duties (33%)
1. Acts as the public face of The Mother Church on the Plaza
- Demonstrates prayerful alertness and readiness to heal at all times.
- Speaks articulately about Christian Science, Mary Baker Eddy, and topics related to wayfinding in and around the Plaza, such as directions to nearby attractions.
- Understands the unique nature and needs of the property as a Church home and also a business site that is shared with tenants not affiliated with the Church.
- Is aware of activities and events taking place in the Church and on the Plaza each day.
- Shares fruitage in the fruitage log.
- Monitors radio transmissions and masters Church Security’s radio protocol.
- Knows Plaza sectors and landmark Plaza sites.
- Provides valuable feedback about signage on the Plaza.
- Spots issues on the Plaza that need attention and alerts management or Security.
- Acts as back-up for extra support, such as escorting a large group between buildings.
2. Performs Host duties in the Welcome Hall
- Greets all who enter with a warm welcome. If assistance is needed, ascertains visitors’ purpose for visiting, and directs them where to go.
- Shares knowledge of exhibits, tours, and architectural details of the building with visitors.
- May assist, in a support capacity, in emergency response scenarios in the Publishing House and the Church.
- Preserves strict confidentiality of sensitive information necessary to, or learned in the course of, the performance of duties.
- Informs Manager of any situation that may impact the security and safety of the Plaza.
- Remains gracious and poised in response to any situation or question posed.
- Records data on visitor engagement and interactions with the exhibits.
- Assists the Mapparium Hosts as needed.
3. Acts as a Greeter for Church Tours inside the Portico
- Greets visitors to the Church, provides basic information about tours, tracks the number of visitors and where they are from.
- Knows the structure, timing, path, and content of church tours.
- Communicates with the Church Hosts via walkie-talkies.
- Assists Church Hosts as needed.
- Assists with unscheduled group visits.
- Provides support for Church services, being accessible to Usher staff.
- Offers brochures on Christian Science, the CS Plaza, and events taking place on the Plaza.
- Stays constantly alert to visitors in need of assistance, both inside and outside the portico doors.
- Stays constantly alert to individuals engaged in suspicious activity, such as trying to enter the church without identifying themselves.
- Contacts security as needed.
STAFF MANAGEMENT AND JOB CONTACTS
Supervisor: Assistant Manager, Plaza Activities: Hospitality
Church Administrator, Welcome Hall Activities and Exhibit Coordinator, and other employees, church members, and visitors from all over the world.
- Good face-to-face communication skills.
- Committed to providing the best possible visitor experience.
- Has a background or strong interest in history and public education.
- Has customer service, retail, or similar experience dealing in person with the public, preferably tourists.
- Handles monetary transactions with ease and accuracy, including handling and counting cash.
- Has basic math skills, computer knowledge, and the ability to learn quickly.
- Flexible with strong attention to details.
- Takes initiative and works well with the public.
College degree or equivalent work experience is required. Previous experience in public speaking, teaching, or conducting tours preferred. Strong interpersonal communication skills needed. Clarity in speech is requisite. Ability to be understood clearly by groups in a large space is important.
- Strong communication skills are essential. Ability to speak clearly and be understood by groups in a large space is highly important, as is the ability to be easily understood by people for whom English is a second language.
- Able to extend a warm welcome to all visitors. Must be comfortable answering questions about Christian Science and Mary Baker Eddy from the public.
- A keen sense of history and regard for historical accuracy.
- Basic computer proficiency. POS system proficiency a plus.
- Resilient, composed, and able to adapt to changing circumstances and changes of routine.
- Team-oriented with initiative, follow-through, and skill at supporting team activities.
- Detail-oriented, self-starting, accurate, flexible, well-organized, impartial, fair, and honest.
- Able to communicate comfortably, tactfully, and respectfully with people of many different belief systems, nationalities, and cultures. Familiarity with the values and core beliefs of other faiths and Christian denominations is highly beneficial.
- Fluency in more than one language is useful.
Activities include walking up and down stairs and being on your feet for extended periods of time, as well as being seated for shorter periods of time.
Christian Science Information
Christian Science practice is at the heart of this position’s interaction with the public. Must be a dedicated, practicing Christian Scientist who is familiar with the Bible and Mary Baker Eddy’s writings and life. Must have a strong interest in continuing to learn about Eddy and the history of Christian Science. Must be comfortable and knowledgeable talking about Christian Science with people from widely differing backgrounds and belief systems. Mother Church Membership is required. Primary Class Instruction is preferred.
Background check required given potential for direct contact with children.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Powered by UKG