Operations & Communications Assistant
Job Category: Hospitality
Requisition Number: OPERA001271
Posted: November 18, 2021
Showing 1 location
MA - Boston TFCCS
Boston, MA 02115, USA
Department: Plaza Activities
The Christian Science Plaza is a treasured destination for Church members, neighbors, local college students, and visiting tourists. The aim of the Plaza Activities Department (PA) is to offer each guest a thought-changing experience that inspires hope through the “How do you see the world?” exhibits, tours, programs, research and reference services, signage, marketing activities, web content, and events.
The Operations Assistant provides support to the entire department through being a full time team member of the Operations and Communications (OpsCom) Scrum Team. The work is divided into three equal parts:
- Routine administrative support.
- Assistance with event planning and coordination for public events held on the Plaza.
- Projects that improve the efficiency and operation of PA.
Requires strong administrative, problem-solving, technical and communication skills, initiative, flexibility, and confidentiality. Must be detail oriented, and have experience providing outstanding customer service. The incumbent must have a solid grasp of the mission of the Church and must be actively engaged in furthering the cause of Christian Science.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position’s primary responsibilities are to handle administrative duties in a timely manner, support other departments in creating and implementing public event, and track and support department projects from start to finish.
Administrative duties (33%)
- Works to strengthen PA culture through discerning needs and responding.
- Has a detailed knowledge of PA operations, procedures, and personnel.
- Oversees day-to-day office administration including Tallie and time card processing, processing of purchase orders, input of work orders, ordering office supplies, tracking and ordering store inventory items, tracking and ordering uniforms, compiling a monthly fruitage report, compiling regular data reports, maintaining and/or requesting service for computers and printers.
- Coordinates personnel changes, performance reviews, and approvals relating to status changes, salary issues, etc.
- Coordinates responses to incoming correspondence, partnering with other departments as needed.
- Cross trains on Groups, Marketing, and other tasks to help support other OpsCom Scrum Team members when they are out of the office.
- If Scrum Master support is not available from PMO, acts as the backup Scrum Master for all 3 PA Scrum Teams as needed.
- Takes on research and other special projects and duties for PA as needed.
Event Planning (33%)
- Works primarily behind the scenes supporting the Assistant Manager, Plaza Activities: Operations & Communications in arranging for and coordinating the logistics of public events held on the Plaza.
- Understands the unique nature and needs of the property as a Church home and also a business site. Is aware of activities taking place on the Plaza, and how they might impact visitors and events.
- Is able to correct misconceptions about Christian Science in a wise and Christian manner.
- Serves as a liaison with Real Estate Planning & Operations (REPO), Technology Services Group (TSG), and Broadcast & Multimedia Production Services (BMPS).
- Serves as back up to the Assistant Manager, Plaza Activities: Operations & Communications as needed.
- Manages the Operations Trello Board, and tracks and shepherds multiple projects from start to completion, while also completing smaller projects on own with little to no supervision.
- Supports the Church, Plaza and Mapparium Hosts by researching and recommending needed department changes in policies and procedure when they arise.
- Masters the Point of Sales (POS) system, and supports with updates, changes, and training.
- Helps maintain clean and organized PA office and break spaces, as well as public spaces in the churches and Publishing House. This includes arranging for equipment repairs as needed.
- Learns the basics of the Church, Plaza and Mapparium Host positions so is able to help with staffing as needed.
- Learns continually about the history and significance of Mary Baker Eddy’s life and the Christian Science movement.
STAFF MANAGEMENT AND JOB CONTACTS
Manager: Assistant Manager, Plaza Activities: Operations & Communications
REPO, TSG, BMPS, department managers, Church Administrator, Activities & Exhibit Coordinator, staff throughout the organization, church members, visitors, tour operators, and vendors.
Bachelor’s degree preferred or 3-5 years previous experience in tourism/hospitality or event planning.
- Understand and deeply value TMC; the life and writings of Mary Baker Eddy; and the history of the Christian Science movement.
- Resilient, composed, and able to adapt to changing circumstances and changes of routine.
- Detail-oriented, team-oriented, self starting, and like a challenge.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and be a multi-tasker while meeting deadlines with little to no supervision.
- Effective communicator, verbally and written.
- Committed to providing high-performance, world class customer service.
- Experienced in collecting and analysing data preferred.
- Able to handle monetary transactions with ease and accuracy
- Familiarity and experience working with Trello preferred.
- Provides technical assistance and troubleshooting as needed.
- Proficient using the latest versions of Google Suite.
- Should stay current with technology trends.
- Trello, Point of Sale Systems, Databasing software, website platforms, and Adobe products are a plus.
- Primarily works Monday-Friday in an office environment, but as with all PA positions, must also be available to work some evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Warm and energetic work environment consisting of motivated staff members who are dedicated to their work and the mission of the Church.
- Opportunities for professional growth through reverse mentorship and other professional development.
- Works on multiple projects simultaneously while assisting with last minute questions, issues, or projects that arise.
Must be a dedicated, practicing Christian Scientist who has a familiarity with and a strong interest in continuing to learn about the Bible, Mary Baker Eddy’s writings, and the history of Christian Science. Mother Church Membership required.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Powered by UKG