Assistant Manager, Human Resources
Job Category: Human Resources
Requisition Number: ASSIS01198
Posted: February 1, 2021
Showing 1 location
MA - Boston TFCCS
Boston, MA 02115, USA
Department Human Resources
You will report directly to the Manager, Human Resources in supporting the oversight and management of the centralized human resources functions of the Church. You will serve in a consultative and advisory role to managers regarding human resources and provide employees with a safe place to come for support and advice. You help to ensure that these functions and services are considered prayerfully, implemented professionally, and in such a way that characterizes the Church that this department serves. You will actively support the activities metaphysically and seek prayerful solutions to challenges that arise in conducting day-to-day Church business. You have direct responsibility for employee relations, compliance, and policy/guidelines management. Membership in The Mother Church and class instruction in Christian Science are required. A high degree of metaphysical maturity is required.
SPECIFIC ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- In the absence of the Manager, HR, provides leadership to and management of the HR team, which delivers the services needed to recruit, train, develop, motivate, and retain the full complement of personnel required to achieve the organization’s goals on a year-by-year basis. May need to be ready to respond quickly and as supportively as possible to requests from the CSBD and the Trustees of the CSPS.
- In addition to their direct responsibilities, will learn and understand all the HR functions represented at the Church – recruiting/staffing, training and development, organization strategy and design, and compensation.
- May be asked to serve on cross department teams as the HR representative.
- May be asked to take on projects or additional responsibilities on an as needed basis.
- Maintains good communication and positive relationships with employees to promote a fair, equitable, and supportive environment.
- May need to investigate employee relations concerns and/or policy violations, including concerns regarding discrimination, harassment, etc. Will recommend appropriate resolution of concerns and will monitor results, as appropriate, keeping the Manager, HR, aware as the resolution progresses. Guides managers/supervisors in resolving issues.
- Provides expertise, metaphysical support, consultation, guidance, and coaching to managers/supervisors to address employee performance issues; may provide guidance and assist with the development and delivery of appropriate feedback or corrective actions.
- Interprets and applies understanding of Church’s policies and practices, employment law, and other regulations to provide advice, guidance, or clarification for employee relations inquiries. Will include the Office of General Counsel (OGC) as appropriate.
- Provides leadership, support, and coordination to managers, especially those new to their management roles or new to the environment of the Church organization.
Compliance and Policy/Guideline Management
- In partnership with OGC maintain legal compliance with regard to employee positions as they relate to FLSA.
- Partner with Risk, Audit, and Compliance Manager on annual insurance reporting needs and additional needs, as appropriate.
- Track employment law changes and trends in order to assist the organization in remaining compliant.
- Track EEO information on an annual basis and prepare reports as appropriate.
- Participates, as the HR representative, on the InfoSec (Information Security) committee with senior managers.
- Serves on the immigration team.
- Reviews severance and Teacher/Practitioner packages with exiting employees.
- Manages the organization’s employee policies and guidelines, ensuring their accuracy, compliance with state and federal regulations, and that they remain current. Partners with OGC and senior managers of other departments as needed.
- Routinely evaluates HR Guidelines including their impact and effectiveness.
- Maintain Employee Guidelines site, ensuring accurate content. Determines how to best communicate new/revised policies to the organization.
STAFF MANAGEMENT AND JOB CONTACTS
Supervisor: Manager, Human Resources
Supervises: In Manager’s absence - HR Partner, Development & Training; HR Partner, Recruiter; HR Partner, Compensation; HR Administrators, and others, as needed.
Office of General Counsel (OGC), Treasurer’s Office, staff and management throughout all departments within The Mother Church, The Christian Science Publishing Society and the Christian Science Field.
Education/Experience: 10+ years of progressive human resource experience is required. Experience within the legal field would also apply. A college degree or JD degree would be helpful. Expertise in the responsible management of employee relations, department activities, finances, and other resources appropriate to this level of management are required. Demonstrated ability to manage in a team environment is critical. Senior HR certifications by either SHRM or HRCI would be helpful.
Knowledge/Skills: Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated patience, tact, care, respect and with a deep appreciation of each as an individual is critical. Must have a good sense of humor and the ability to impersonalize situations and interactions with employees and managers/supervisors. Exceptional detail and follow-up skills. The ability to quickly evaluate alternatives and decide on a plan of action. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. An orientation toward multi-tasking. The ability to interact with all levels of the organization, including the Christian Science Board of Directors and the Board of Trustees. An ability to determine and then deliver appropriate feedback or corrective actions that align with the organization. Comfortable applying relevant laws, policies and past practices to reach conclusions and then make recommendations to managers. Should be comfortable presenting to groups of any size.
Technology Skills: Experience with Microsoft word applications required. Exposure to digital recruiting systems would be helpful. Experience with Google products would also be helpful.
Work Environment: The nature of HR work is in-person, however there is an ability to work remotely at times.
Christian Science Information: Membership in The Mother Church and class instruction in Christian Science are required. A high degree of metaphysical maturity is required.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Powered by UKG