Q. How do I renew my checked out items? Why can't I renew?
I'm not finished with an item I borrowed
You may borrow an item for 21 days. Most items are eligible for up to 3 renewals of an additional 21 days each. See exceptions below, including LINK+ and InterLibrary Loan items.
Eligible items renew automatically 2 days before the due date. If you select email as your notice preference
, the Library will notify you of the new due date.
You can renew materials online by logging in to your library card account:
Why Can’t I Renew?
There are several reasons why an item can't be renewed:
- Outstanding holds (requests) on the item by other patrons
- An item checked out to you is 30 days or more overdue
- Your Library card account has a balance due of $10 or more
- Your Library card account is expired
- The item was already renewed as many times as is allowed
- It’s too soon to renew the item (no renewals sooner than 2 weeks prior to the due date)
- eBooks, LINK+ or ILL (see below for details).
books may be eligible for one renewal. LINK+ materials cannot be renewed via the SFPL automated telephone renewal service. LINK+ materials cannot be renewed any sooner than 72 hours prior to the due date. Overdue items might not be eligible for a renewal.
InterLibrary Loan RenewalsInterLibrary Loan (ILL)
items may be eligible for one renewal. Only ILL staff can renew items; contact the department directly at 415-557-4406
. Items that are non-renewable are identified on the information band. Overdue ILL items are not eligible for renewal.
Links & Files
phone / email / text hours: