SERVICE INTERRUPTION:August 5, 6 p.m. to August 6, 9 a.m.: The library’s primary catalog system, Bibliocommons, and related products (search functions, book carousels on the homepage, etc.) will not be available due to system maintenance. Patrons can search our collections via our legacy catalog during this outage.
Due to ongoing staffing shortages, the Library will continue to offer limited library services after June 15. We thank you for your patience and support as we work to restore library services systemwide.
VIRTUAL PROGRAMS NOW AVAILABLE:Please join us online for storytimes, book clubs and other virtual events. Visit our event calendar to learn more.
Welcome & Overview
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Library.
The San Francisco Public Library system provides free and equal access to information, knowledge, independent learning and the joys of reading for our diverse community. Library volunteers support, supplement, and enrich the Library’s efforts to serve San Francisco’s diverse community in each of its 28 locations.
The Library accepts volunteers ages 13 and up. Information for volunteers under 18 (or 18 and still in high school) is found at The Mix’s Jobs & Volunteer Opportunities page, including our YELL and Summer Squad summer volunteer programs.
San Francisco Unified School District needs volunteers to help this summer with their food distribution program!
Volunteer with Student Nutrition Services and play a key role in ensuring San Francisco's children have access to free, healthy food🤩🥦🍎
⭐️ Weekly shifts available all around San Francisco
⭐️ Help manage line flow and safe physical distancing
⭐️ Share key messages with the public
⭐️ Join and support a passionate team!
Must be 18 or older.
The Library's core areas of volunteer service include:
- supporting youth learning (Homework Helper; Reading Buddy; Arts & Craft Assistant; Storytime Assistant; those volunteers interested in FOG Readers Tutor positions may fill out the FOG Tutor Interest Form)
- fostering English language fluency and literacy (Project Read Tutor; ELL Tutor; Conversational English Group Leader)
- assisting veterans at the Library’s Veterans Resource Center, and
- bridging the digital divide (Computer Lab Assistant; Multi-Function Device (copy/scan/fax) Helper)
In addition, volunteers may provide event support for open houses, cultural celebrations, or assist with special projects such as Shades of San Francisco.
The first step to volunteering with the Library is to submit a volunteer interest form
. Our Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator will review your interests and availability to find possible matches at a library location convenient to you and then schedule a call or meeting.
Some important details to keep in mind:
- Volunteers cannot perform tasks assigned to Library staff, such as shelving books or leading storytimes.
- For ongoing volunteer positions, a minimum commitment of two hours per week for at least six months is requested.
- Volunteers who will serve with vulnerable populations first must pass a background check. (Fingerprints are taken at the City HR office at no cost to the volunteer).
- There may be a waiting period before an opening is available for a requested role, location, and time. Please check your schedule against location open hours to find a convenient location with compatible hours.
- Our ability to accommodate groups for one-time “day of service” events is very limited, but we're happy to discuss possibilities. Three to six months notice allows optimal time for planning and publicity.
- To apply to teach a class, lead an activity, or provide other programming, please see our Exhibitions & Program page for a presenter proposal form or email email@example.com for more information.
firstname.lastname@example.orgSan Francisco Public LibraryCommunity Programs & Partnerships100 Larkin StreetSan Francisco, CA 94102sfpl.org/volunteer
Interested in volunteering?
See all events
Tuesday, 8/3/2021, 1:00 - 2:30
Tuesday, 8/10/2021, 1:00 - 2:30
Tuesday, 8/17/2021, 1:00 - 2:30
The San Francisco Public Library system is dedicated to free and equal access to information, knowledge, independent learning and the joys of reading for our diverse community.
Copyright © 2002-2021
San Francisco Public Library.