Utilizing Video Editor in MiVideo and Mediaspace
The Video Editor provides media trim, chop, splice, and copy capabilities within Canvas and MiVideo MediaSpace. In addition, Interactive Video Quizzes (IVQs) and hotspots can be embedded into videos. See related Video Editing Tools
articles for more information about this editor.
Utilizing the Video Editor in Canvas and MiVideo MediaSpace.
Video Editor allows you to edit a media file by trimming, chopping, splicing video segments and creating a copy.
- Trimming allows you to permanently remove frames from the beginning and/or the end of a video
- Chopping allows the video to be broken into segments
- Splicing merges together video segments
- You can create a full or partial copy of your video using the Save a Copy button
See the Edit Media
articles to edit the details about the media.
- To preserve the source video, consider saving a copy first
- For help with audio trimming, please contact the ITS Service Center or your KMC administrator
- If you have deleted all the slides and chapters from a Timeline presentation but are still getting a message that trimming cannot be performed, just reload the page
- Your session will time out after a period of inactivity and you will not be able to save any of your changes. Save often and especially save your changes before walking away from your computer or leaving the Video Editor open and inactive.
Navigate to the Video Editor:
- From the Edit Media page > Launch Editor.
- From the Media page > Actions > Launch Editor.
- (optional but highly recommended) Click Save a Copy so you have a copy of the source video in case there are any problems
Enter a title and click Create. You will find the copy in your My Media. If you are not making any other edits to the video click the exit icon
- Click the editor icon in the left navigation
- Move the marker on the timeline to the position in the video to begin chopping
- Click the scissors icon to split the recording into two segments
- Repeat to create multiple segments as needed
- To delete unnecessary segments, click on the segment and then the trash icon
- Once you have the segments created adjust the timeline handlebars to set the beginning and end of a clip
- Click, hold and slide the handlebars to the beginning and end of a segment
- Or move the timeline marker to the start of the clip, click the Set in icon to automatically adjust the timeline handlebar to that point in the recording, move the marker to the end of the clip, click the Set Out icon to automatically adjust the timeline handlebar to that point in the recording
- Apply a fade in or fade out effect.
- Use the marker to indicate the point on the timeline for the effect to fade out
- Click the Fade In/Out icon
- Set how long in seconds for the fade Out effect to run
- Select the clip that will follow in sequence and move the marker to the fade in point on timeline
- Click the Fade In/Out icon
- Set the fade In time
- Click Save or Save a Copy to create the clip.
Note: The Save option will overwrite the video with the edited clip. Save a Copy will not overwrite the video.
- When finished, click the exit icon to quit the Video Editor
Article ID: 4827