timesofmalta.com
Glitch Festival cancelled again due to COVID-19 restrictions
'Heartbroken' organisers hit out at authorities' lack of 'logical reason'
June 16, 2021|Giulia Magri|39
2 min read
Glitch Festival, the popular music festival, has been cancelled for a successive year due to restrictions relating to the COVID-19 pandemic. Photo: Glitch Festival
The organisers of Glitch Festival say they are "heartbroken" to announce the event will not go ahead this August due to coronavirus restrictions that they said claim are illogical.
Glitch was one of three music festivals that had set dates for the summer, in the hopes that coronavirus measures would be relaxed.
A statement published on the festival's Facebook page on Wednesday morning said they had not been given the "green light from the local authorities".
The organisers told those who had bought a ticket that they had done "everything in our power to find a safe solution to welcome you back" and that  the decision was hard to accept. However, the statement said the event will return in August 2022.
They said "promising statistics" including that Malta has one of the highest vaccination rates in the world, with almost 80 per cent receiving their first vaccine dose, "should have led to a safe re-opening".
“However, the local authorities think otherwise with no logical reasons behind these decisions," it said.
It is the second summer that the festival will not go ahead.
RELATED STORIES
Ticket holders can request a refund, however organisers have urged them to keep them for next year's rescheduled event.
Last week the government announced that seated events will resume on July 5 for those who are fully vaccinated.
Capacity is capped at 100 people at first, going up gradually to 200 over the course of four weeks. Events can be held both indoors and outdoors but in an enclosed area that allow organisers to control people’s entry and exit. 
Earlier in April, Tourism Minister Clayton Bartolo said that no mass events had his or Malta Tourism Authority's 'blessing' to take place. 
The organisers share the same frustration and anger as artists, who will be holding a demonstration themed  Daqshekk Siekta (Silent no more) on June 24 in St George’s Square Valletta at 7pm, in protest against the current COVID-19 restrictions, which they claim are discriminatory.
Independent journalism costs money. Support Times of Malta for the price of a coffee.
Support Us
Giulia Magri
Sponsored Articles
Comments
Comments not loading?
We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
Comments powered by Disqus
Independent journalism costs money.Support Us
Follow us:
Copyright © 2021 Times of Malta. All rights reserved.
Times of MaltaLatestNationalWorldOpinionCommunitySportMotoringBusinessEntertainmentTech & Gaming#TimesTalk