The URI Libraries in Summer 2021Guide to available services in at the URI Libraries during Coronavirus precautions
Library Services in Summer 2021 Here is a basic primer to library services on all three campuses, focusing on alterations in services in reaction to COVID-19. We are folowing State and University guidelines in moving back toward "full opening and services." As always, we will do our best to support URI students, faculty, and staff during this challenging time. Please contact us if you experience any difficulties as you work or research.
All branches are now open to RI residents!
Are the University Libraries Open? We are restoring as many services as we can during June 2021 (see below for details). Should you have additional questions regarding the use of the library, please visit the libraries' website for contact information, changes to hours of operation, and resources available. The current hours of operation of the three branches and specific services can be found on the Library Hours Page.
Individual offices and resources may not be open all hours.
Library COVID-related Behavior Expectations As we move back towards full opening, we must insist that all visitors to the Library branches follow the expectations laid out in the Student Handbook. Most restrictions apply to people who have not been fully vaccinated.
While we strive to be welcoming spaces, for the safety at all, violations will not be tolerated. The expectations include:
- If you are not fully vaccinated, you must wear a mask covering your mouth and nose at all times
- Do not move the tables and chairs. They are set up for maximum occupancy within social distancing guidelines
- You must maintain 3' distance, even from people you habitually interact with, except for brief conversations
- Food is not allowed in the library spaces
- Drinks in closable containers are allowed, and masks may be removed briefly to drink
- Follow the signs for traffic flow within the spaces
- Immediately comply with any directives from University staff, faculty, and Library-employed students
Normal services have resumed, except:
- Seating will be increased, but not to 100% immediately. Please use the chairs available.
- Group Study rooms are closed.
- The 24 hour room will be available only during library hours.
- Reference Services are online only (see Box 1 below)
- Instructional Services are online only (see Box 4 below)
Monday - Thursday -- 11am-3pm.
2. Finding Articles, Journals, and Magazines
Almost all of the Libraries’ holdings of journals and magazines published since 2000 - and many before that date - can be accessed online using the search tools in the Articles & Databases
link on the Libraries' website, and using the URI Libraries Search
to look for specific periodicals or articles.
3. Access from Off-Campus 4. Information Literacy Instruction for Online Classes If your class could benefit from a librarian-led information
literacy session, we can deliver sessions remotely. Contact Prof. Mary MacDonald, Information Literacy Librarian, at firstname.lastname@example.org
for more information.
Group Study Room -- replacement options We know that students value the group study rooms as a place to interact with fellow students. Out of concern for student safety, we obviously cannot allow you to use the rooms at this time. However, there are online alternatives. Your campus Gmail accounts have Meet as an option -- video conferencing software for small groups. Additionally, the University offers access to Microsoft 365
which includes Zoom, Webex, and Microsoft Teams, both of which help with distance collaboration for small and larger groups.
The Library does not directly support these tools, so, if you have questions about their use, please contact the IT Service Desk at (401) 874-HELP, email@example.com
, or meet with them online during their regular business hours via their website, linked below.
Click on the black arrow to open the chat in a new window.If we're not online, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow 1 business day for a response. We will be adding to this page frequently as the situation changes, and as we develop better systems for providing you access to the materials you need for your research and studies. If you have suggestions, feel free to email us directly at email@example.com
Last Updated: May 24, 2021 11:24 AM
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
URI is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of affirmative action. Work at URI