This is a list of 187 noteworthy volcanoes that meet at least one of the following the criteria identified below, in volcano-number order. Similar criteria were used to highlight volcanoes in the listing of Holocene eruptions that appeared as Appendix 2 in the Encyclopedia of Volcanoes (2nd ed).
- Major Eruption: A Holocene eruption with a VEI > 5
- Multiple Large Eruptions: More than one Holocene eruption with VEI >= 5
- High Fatality Eruption: A single eruption that caused >= 100 fatalities
- Frequently Active: Confirmed to have erupted at some point during at least 25 of the past 100 years (since 1920)
- Significant Lava Effusion: Produced a documented total lava volume > 1 km3 in the past 2,000 years