27 captures
4 Mar 2001 - 21 Jun 2010
About this capture
Table of Contents
How to Prepare for a Safe Trip 2 Visa and Other Entry Requirements 4 Special Entry Requirements for Countries 5 That Permit No Tourists U.S. Citizens Married to Foreign Nationals 6 Dual Nationality 6 Currency and Customs Regulations 8 Health 9 Drug Offenses 10 Dress and Local Customs 11
Country Information 12 Algeria 12 Bahrain 13 Egypt 14 Iran 15 Iraq 16 Israel 17 Jordan 21 Kuwait 22 Lebanon 23 Libya 24 Morocco 25 Oman 25 Qatar 25 Saudi Arabia 26 Syria 33 Tunisia 35 United Arab Emirates 35 Yemen 36
Foreign Embassies in the United States 38 U.S. Embassies and Consulates Abroad 39
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Revised October 1994
The information in this publication is in the public domain and may be reproduced without permission. When this material is reproduced, the Department of State would appreciate receiving a copy at: CA/P/PA, Department of State, Washington, DC 20520-4818.
Tips for Travelers to the Middle East and North Africa
The information in this pamphlet has been gathered for you by consular officers--both here in the Department of State and in the Middle East and North Africa--to assist you with your trip. We hope this brochure will be of help to you in making your trip both safe and enjoyable.
Always keep in mind, though, that wherever you are abroad, if you come into serious difficulties, contact the U.S. consul at the nearest United States embassy or consulate for information or assistance.
How to Prepare for a Safe Trip
The policies of the countries in the Middle East and North Africa toward foreign visitors vary greatly from country to country. Some countries encourage tourism and put very few restrictions on visitors. Other countries do not allow tourism and carefully regulate business travel. Some areas in the region have experienced military conflict over an extended period of time.
A little planning and knowledge will go a long way toward making your trip to the Middle East and North Africa go smoothly. If you learn about the countries you will visit and obey the laws and respect the customs of those places, you can make your stay as pleasant and incident-free as possible.
Consular Information Sheets
For travel information on any country, see the Department of State's Consular Information Sheet for the country. Consular Information Sheets cover such matters as health conditions, unusual currency and entry regulations, crime and security conditions, drug penalties, and areas of instability. In addition, there are a number of Travel Warnings which advise Americans to defer travel because of unsafe conditions. Regulations may also prohibit the use of U.S. passports to visit certain countries. This prohibition will be included in the Travel Warnings issued for affected countries. Travel Warnings are under continuous review by the Department of State. Before you depart for a country that has a Travel Warning, make certain that you have the most recent revision of the Warning. The Department of State also issues Public Announcements. Public Announcements are issued as a means to disseminate information quickly about terrorist threats and other relatively short-term and /or trans-national condition which would pose significant risks to the security of American travelers.
There are several ways to access Consular Information Sheets, Travel Warnings and Public Announcements. You can listen to them 24-hours a day by calling 202-647-5225 from a touchtone phone. You can receive copies of them by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the Overseas Citizens Services, Room 4800, Department of State, Washington, DC 20520-4818. (Write the name of the requested country or countries on the outside of the envelope.) You can also find Consular Information Sheets and Travel Warnings at the 13 regional passport agencies and at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad. They can also be accessed through an airline or travel agent's computer reservation system, the Bureau of Consular Affairs' 24- hour automated fax system at 202/647-3000, or through many computer bulletin boards, including the Consular Affairs Bulletin Board (CABB). You may call the CABB on modem number 202-647- 9225. Set your communications software to: no parity, 8 bits, one stop bit (N-8-1).
As you travel, keep abreast of local news coverage. If you plan more than a short stay in one place, or if you are in an area experiencing civil unrest or a natural disaster, you are encouraged to register with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. Remember to leave a detailed itinerary with a friend or relative in the United States in case of an emergency.
Your U.S. Passport
Make a record or photocopy of the data from your passport's identification page and from your visas. Also make a copy of the addresses and telephone numbers of the U.S. embassy and consulates in the countries you will visit (see pages 39-40). Put this information along with two passport photos in a place separate from your passport to be available in case of loss or theft of your passport.
Visa and Other Entry Requirements
A U.S. passport is required for travel to all countries in the region. U.S. citizens are not required to have visas for tourist or business travel to Israel, Morocco, or Tunisia, but may need to supply proof of sufficient funds for the trip and proof of onward or round trip travel arrangements. All other countries in the Middle East and North Africa require U.S. citizens to have visas.
If you plan to travel extensively in the region, entry and exit stamps could quickly fill the pages of your passport. Before you go, you may wish to ask the nearest passport agency to add extra pages to your passport. Or, if applying for a new passport, you can request one with 48 pages instead of the usual 24.
Each country has its own set of entry requirements. For authoritative visa information, contact the embassy or consulate of the country you plan to visit. See page 38 for a list of foreign embassies in the United States.
When you make inquiries, ask about the following:
-- Visa price, length of validity, number of entries.
-- Financial requirements--proof of sufficient funds and proof of onward/return ticket.
-- Immunization requirements. Yellow fever immunization is often required if arriving from a yellow-fever- infected area.
-- Currency regulations.
-- Import/export restrictions and limitations. Several countries prohibit the import and consumption of alcoholic beverages.
-- Departure tax. Be sure to keep enough local currency to be able to depart as planned.
Some Arab countries will not allow travelers to enter if their passports show any evidence of previous or expected travel to Israel. Other Arab countries apply the ban inconsistently, sometimes refusing and at other times allowing entry when a passport shows evidence of travel to Israel. The U.S. government has informed the members of the Arab League that it objects to restrictive policies regarding U.S. passports containing Israeli markings. If passport restrictions imposed by other countries may be a problem for you, contact the nearest U.S. passport agency, embassy, or consulate for guidance.
Several Arab countries ask visa applicants to state their religious affiliation. The U.S. government is opposed to the use of this information to discriminate against visa applicants, and has made its views known to the governments concerned. In turn, the United States has received assurances that visa applications are not denied on the basis of religious affiliation.
Special Entry Requirements for Countries That Permit No Tourists
Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia do not permit tourism. All business visitors must be sponsored by a company in the country to be visited. Private visitors must be sponsored by a relative or friend native to the country. To visit a foreigner working in a country where tourism is not permitted, you must be sponsored by the same local company that sponsors the person you are visiting. Entry is by visa or the non-objection certificate (NOC) system. An NOC is obtained by a visitor's sponsor and filed with the appropriate foreign government authorities before the planned visit. For more information, see the individual country sections beginning on page 12.
Exit Permits
Countries that require visitors to be sponsored usually also require them to obtain exit permits from their sponsors. U.S. citizens can have difficulty obtaining exit permits if they are involved in business disputes. A U.S. citizen who is the wife or child of the local sponsor needs the sponsor's permission to leave the country. Do not accept sponsorship to visit a country unless you are certain you will also be able to obtain an exit permit.
U.S. Citizens Married to Foreign Nationals
In many Islamic countries, even those that give tourist visas and do not require sponsorship, a woman needs the permission of her husband, and children need the permission of their father, to leave the country. If you travel or allow your children to travel, be aware of the laws of the country you plan to visit. The Department of State is aware of many American citizen children who have been abducted to, or wrongfully retained in countries of the Middle East and North Africa notwithstanding a U.S. custody order. Although some of these children were taken abroad illegally by one of their parents, many originally traveled abroad with the consent of both parents. Do not visit or allow your children to visit unless you are completely confident that you and they will be allowed to leave. Once overseas, you are subject to the laws of the country where you are; U.S. law cannot protect you.
Dual Nationality
Some countries in the Middle East and North Africa do not recognize acquisition of U.S. citizenship by their nationals. Unless the naturalized U.S. citizen renounces his or her original nationality at an embassy or consulate of the country of origin, he or she may still be considered a citizen of that country. A person born in the United States with a parent who was a citizen of another country may also be considered a citizen of that country. The laws of some countries provide for automatic acquisition of citizenship when a person marries a national of that country.
If arrested, a dual national may be denied the right to communicate with the U.S. embassy or consulate. Another consequence could be having to serve in the military of one's former country. If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen, a dual national, or have any reason to believe another country may claim you as their national, check with the embassy of that country as to your citizenship status and any obligations you may have while visiting. Dual nationals who have not researched their citizenship status before traveling have sometimes, to their surprise, encountered difficulties, such as not being allowed to depart.
Even countries that recognize acquired U.S. citizenship may consider their former citizens as having resumed original citizenship if they take up residence in their country of origin. This can happen even if the embassy of the country of origin stamps a visa in the U.S. passport of its former citizen.
Dual nationals may find that they are required to use a passport from their country of origin in order to enter or leave that country. The U.S. government does not object to the use of a foreign passport by a dual national to enter or depart a foreign country in compliance with the requirements of that country. U.S. regulations require, however, that U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, use a U.S. passport to depart from and enter the United States.
If you have any questions about dual nationality or the use of foreign passports, contact Overseas Citizens Services, Room 48l7, Department of State, Washington, D.C. 20520-4818, (202-647-3926) before you travel. Recorded information on dual nationality and other citizenship matters is available 24-hours a day by calling 202-647-3444.
Currency and Customs Regulations
Some countries in the region have no restrictions on currency imports or exports. Some prohibit Israeli currency. Most countries in the Middle East and North Africa, however, have detailed currency regulations, including a requirement to declare all currency, including travelers checks, upon entry. In those countries, the export of foreign currency is limited to the amount that was imported and declared. Be sure to make the required currency declaration, have it validated, and retain it for use at departure. Buy local currency only at banks or other authorized exchange places and retain your receipts for use at departure. Currency not accounted for may be confiscated.
Several countries prohibit the import and consumption of alcoholic beverages. Most countries restrict the entry of products containing pork, as well as any literature, videotapes, and cassette tapes deemed pornographic. Also, some countries will not permit the import of books or other goods from Israel.
Shopping--Be Wary of Antiques
Americans have been arrested in some countries in the region for the unauthorized purchase of antiques or other important cultural artifacts. If you purchase such items, always insist that the seller provide a receipt and the official museum export certificate required by law. Travelers have also been detained at customs for possessing reproductions of antiques. The safest policy is to purchase copies of antiques from reputable stores and have them documented as such. Obtain receipts for all such purchases.
Information on immunizations and health precautions for travelers can be obtained in the United States from local health departments, private doctors, or travel clinics. Information is also available from the Centers for Disease Control's 24-hour hotline on 404-332-4559 and from the U.S. Public Health Service book, Health Information for International Travel, available for $7.00 from the Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402. Depending on your destination, immunization may be recommended against diphtheria, tetanus, polio, typhoid, and hepatitis A. Chloroquine prophylaxis against malaria is recommended for travel to some areas of the region.
An increasing number of countries have established regulations regarding AIDS testing, particularly for long-term residents and students. Check with the embassy or consulate of the country you plan to visit for the latest information.
Review Your Health Insurance Policy
If your health insurance does not provide coverage overseas, consider buying temporary insurance that does. In addition, consider obtaining insurance to cover the exorbitant cost of medical evacuation in the event of an illness or for the return of remains in case of death. Insurance companies and some credit card and travelers check companies offer short-term health and emergency assistance policies designed for travelers. Medical facilities vary in the region; in some countries they are similar to U.S. standards. U.S. embassies or consulates can furnish you with a list of local hospitals and English-speaking physicians.
In the hot and dry climates that prevail in the Middle East and North Africa, it is important to avoid water depletion and heat stroke. Safe tap water is available in many areas. In some places, however, it is highly saline and should be avoided by persons on sodium-restricted diets. In many rural and some urban areas, tap water is not potable, and travelers should drink only boiled or chemically treated water or bottled carbonated drinks. In these areas, avoid fresh vegetables and fruits unless they are washed in a purifying solution and peeled. Diarrhea is potentially serious. If it persists, seek medical attention.
Schistosomiasis (or bilharzia) is present in the area of the Nile and in several other areas in North Africa and the Middle East. These parasites are best avoided by not swimming or wading in fresh water in endemic areas.
Drug Offenses
Drug enforcement policies in the region are strict. Possession of even small amounts of narcotics, including substances such as marijuana, LSD, or amphetamines, can lead to arrest. If found guilty, drug offenders are subject to lengthy prison sentences. Because what is considered to be 'narcotics' varies from country to country, learn and obey the laws in the places you will visit. Keep all prescription drugs in their original containers clearly labeled with the doctor's name, pharmacy and contents. In addition, if you take an unusual prescription drug, carry a letter from your doctor explaining your need for the drug and a copy of the prescription.
Dress and Local Customs
Islam is the pre-eminent influence on local laws and customs in much of the Middle East and North Africa. The extent of this influence varies. Some Arab countries have secular governments, but in certain other countries, particularly those in the Arabian peninsula, Islam dictates a total way of life. It prescribes the behavior for individuals and society, codifying law, family relations, business etiquette, dress, food, personal hygiene, and much more. Among the important values is a family-centered way of life, including a protected role for women and clear limits on their participation in public life. In traditional societies, Muslims believe open social relations between the sexes result in the breakdown of family life. Contact between men and women, therefore, is rigidly controlled in traditional societies.
Travel during Ramadan, the holiest time in the Islamic year, can prove to be very difficult. Business is rarely conducted during this time and non-observance of the Ramadan tradition of fasting during daylight hours can carry penalities in some countries.
In the traditional societies of the region, it is considered rude to face the soles of one's feet toward other people. At traditional meals, the left hand is not used for eating.
Conservative Western street clothing (except for shorts) is appropriate in most areas. In more traditional societies, however, attire for women should be more conservative, garments should have sleeves, and dress length should be below the knee. On the other hand, in some areas of the region visited by many tourists -- for example, the beaches of Israel and Morocco -- attire similar to that worn in the United States is acceptable.
The Workweek
In many countries in the Middle East and North Africa, the weekend is either Thursday/Friday or Friday/Saturday. Workweek information is included in the list of U.S. embassies on pages 39-40.
Country Information
Travelers to Algeria are warned that due to political, social, and economic problems a climate of violent unrest has occurred. A number of terrorist attacks have been carried out against foreigners. Terrorists have also threatened to kill all foreigners who are in Algeria. A state of emergency has been in effect since early 1992.
Crime is also a major problem in Algeria. Crimes include car break-ins, theft of auto parts from parked cars, theft of items (even those of moderate value) left in hotel rooms, home burglary, and pickpocketing and purse snatching near hotels and on trains and buses. Some tactics that residents of Algeria use to avoid being victimized include carrying only a minimum amount of cash and concealing it well and parking only in guarded locations. The police can be reached in Algerian cities by dialing 17. In rural areas, contact the gendarmerie nationale.
Algeria does not give visas to persons whose passports indicate travel to Israel. Some hotels accept some credit cards. Before traveling, ask your credit card company if your card will be accepted in Algeria, and if not, bring travelers checks to cover your expenses.
Algerian currency and customs regulations are strictly enforced. All currency must be declared upon entering the country, and completely accounted for when departing. Non-residents are required to change the equivalent of approximately $200 into Algerian dinars at the official exchange rate while in Algeria. You will need to present evidence of this currency exchange before you are allowed to depart the country. All hotel bills must be paid in hard currency such as U.S. dollars. Paid hotel receipts may be used as evidence of currency exchange.
Business representatives, conference and exhibition delegates, and holders of diplomatic and official passports may obtain a visitors visa, valid for up to three months, from the Bahrain Embassy in Washington, DC, or the UN Mission for Bahrain in New York. Persons in the above categories may also be able to obtain either a 7-day visa or a 72-hour transit visa at the Bahrain airport upon arrival if they present a confirmed return or onward air ticket. Single women who have no sponsor or family ties in Bahrain may have difficulty in obtaining an airport visa. In addition to an onward ticket, they may wish to secure in advance a sponsorship from a hotel that will arrange to have an airport visa waiting for them. The 72-hour airport visa can be extended, on a case by case basis, for up to one week if a Bahraini sponsor applies to the Immigration Director stating the purpose for the extension.
A 7-day visa is possible for members of tourist groups, provided arrangements are made with the Directorate of Tourism and Archaeology in the Ministry of Information or through a private agency in Bahrain, such as a hotel, travel agent, or tour group organizer.
Journalists planning travel to Bahrain should contact the Ministry of Information providing travel details at least one week in advance of arrival. The Ministry will then authorize airport officials to issue a 72-hour or a 7-day visa upon arrival. Failure to notify the Ministry may result in delay at the airport or denial of permission to enter the country. The Ministry's address is: P.O. Box 253, State of Bahrain; telephone: (973) 689-099; FAX (973) 780-345; telex: 8399 inform BN. Office hours: 0700-1400 Saturday through Wednesday.
Water is drinkable though often highly saline. Conservative dress is recommended. Bahrain prohibits the import of pornography, firearms, ammunition, or of items such as knives, swords, or daggers that are capable of being used as weapons. Videotapes may be screened by customs in Bahrain and either confiscated or held until the traveler departs the country.
Consumption of alcohol is allowed in most bars and restaurants, except during the month of Ramadan. If there is any indication that a driver has consumed alcohol, authorities will regard that as evidence of driving under the influence of alcohol. The penalty for drunken driving may be incarceration or a fine of 500 Bahraini dinars, the equivalent of $1,300. This fine can be increased to up to double that amount, depending on the circumstances of the case and the judge's decision. Under Bahraini law, convicted drug traffickers may receive the death penalty.
There are no currency declaration requirements for travelers. Travelers may carry a maximum of 100 Egyptian pounds into or out of Egypt. Excess Egyptian currency found on a traveler entering Egypt will be confiscated.
There are strict duties on the importation of expensive photographic and video equipment. This includes most types of equipment typically carried by tourists to Egypt, including all video and autofocus cameras. Travelers who wish to take such equipment with them on a temporary visit have the following options with customs authorities: (A) They may have it by model and serial number in their passports, so that the equipment can be cross-checked upon the traveler's departure from Egypt. In this instance no duty will be collected. (B) They have the equipment placed in storage for the duration of stay, in which case a storage fee may be collected. (C) Long term visitors or residents will pay a standard duty fee for importing the items and be issued a receipt (at the time of departure, the fee will be refunded upon presentation of the receipt).
All persons entering Egypt from cholera or yellow fever areas must produce evidence of up-to-date immunizations. Immunization must have been administered before arrival--cholera at least 6 days before arrival and yellow fever at least 10 days. Travelers without evidence of required immunizations may not enter unless they are vaccinated and detained in quarantine for 6 or 10 days, respectively.
Foreigners are required to register with the police within 7 days of arrival. Hotels usually take care of this. All hotel bills must be paid in foreign currency or in Egyptian pounds exchanged at the official bank rate, as evidenced by a bank receipt.
All travelers to Egypt should be aware that Egyptian authorities strictly enforce drug laws. The death penalty may be imposed on anyone convicted of smuggling or selling marijuana, hashish, opium, or other narcotics.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid all travel to Iran. Travel to Iran continues to be dangerous because of the generally anti-American atmosphere and Iranian government hostility to the U.S. government. U.S. citizens traveling to Iran have been detained without charge, arrested, and harassed by Iranian authorities. Persons who violate Iranian laws, such as those concerning proper dress, may face penalties that are, at times, severe.
U.S./Iranian dual nationals often have their U.S. passports confiscated, have been denied permission to leave Iran, have been compelled to serve in the Iranian armed forces, or have encountered other problems while in Iran. U.S. citizens who are the spouse or child of an Iranian citizen are also considered Iranian citizens and may be required to enter Iran using an Iranian passport. The wife and minor children of an Iranian citizen will not be allowed to leave Iran without the written permission of the husband or father. Before planning a trip to Iran, Americans who also possess Iranian nationality are advised to contact Overseas Citizens Services at 202-647-3926.
The United States does not have diplomatic relations with Iran. U.S. interests in Iran are currently served by the Embassy of Switzerland. Iranian officials have often prevented Swiss officials from providing even minimal protective services to U.S. citizens.
U.S. citizens are warned to avoid all travel to Iraq. Conditions in Iraq remain unsettled and dangerous and travel is extremely hazardous, particularly for U.S. citizens.
On February 8, 1991, U.S. passports ceased to be valid for travel to, in, or through Iraq unless a special validation has been obtained. An automatic exemption to the restriction is granted to Americans residing in Iraq as of February 8, 1991, and to professional journalists on assignment. The categories of individuals eligible for consideration for special passport validation are representatives of the American or International Red Cross, persons with compelling humanitarian considerations, or applicants whose travel is determined to be in the national interest. Exceptions will be scrutinized carefully on a case- by-case basis. Requests for exceptions should be forwarded in writing to:
Office of Citizenship Appeals and
Legal Assistance
U.S. Department of State
1111 19th Street, N.W., Suite 260
Washington, DC 20522-1705.
Telephone: 202-955-0232 or 955-0231
The request must be accompanied by substantiating documentation according to the category under which an exception is sought. It must also include the prospective traveler's name, date and place of birth, and passport number.
In addition, the Department of the Treasury prohibits all travel-related transactions by U.S. persons intending to visit Iraq, unless specifically licensed by the Office of Foreign Assets Control. The only exceptions are for persons engaged in journalism or in official U.S. government or U.N. business. Questions on U.S. Treasury restrictions should be directed to:
Licensing Section
Office of Foreign Assets Control
U.S. Department of the Treasury
Washington, DC 20220
Telephone: 202-622-2480.
Travelers granted exceptions to travel to Iraq should be aware that normal protection by U.S. diplomatic and consular representatives cannot be provided. U.S. interests in Iraq are represented by the government of Poland which can provide only limited emergency services to U.S. citizens. All travelers to Iraq are required to submit certification or be tested upon arrival for AIDS.
Israel, the Gaza Strip, Jericho Area, and the Territories Occupied and Administered by Israel
U.S. citizens do not need a visa to visit Israel, the West Bank, the Golan Heights, or the Gaza Strip and Jericho area In the Gaza Strip and Jericho area, a transfer of certain powers and responsibilities to the Palestinian Authority has taken place pursuant to the September 13, 1993 Israel-PLO Declaration of Principles on Interim Self-Governing Arrangements and the May 4, 1994 Cairo Agreement. Upon arrival in Israel, a U.S. citizen is issued a tourist visa that is valid for 3 months and is renewable. Anyone, however, who has been refused entry to Israel or experienced difficulties with their visa status during a previous visit should contact the nearest Israeli embassy or consulate before attempting to return to Israel. At ports of entry, Israeli officials determine a U.S. citizen's eligibility to enter Israel. Applicants may be questioned in detail and/or required to post a departure bond.
Entering Israel
American citizens have, on occasion, had their U.S. passports taken as a guarantee of their departure. If this should happen to you, contact a U.S. consular officer and report the seizure of your passport. Any U.S. citizen experiencing difficulties at points of entry, to Israel or the Gaza Strip, should ask to telephone the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv on 03- 517-4338 (weekends: 03-517-4347). Those experiencing difficulties attempting to enter from Jordan or who encounter difficulties in the Jericho area should ask to contact the U.S. Consulate General in Jerusalem on 02-253-288 (weekends 02-253-201). Although they will be pleased to assist you, neither the U.S. Embassy nor the Consulate General can guarantee the admission into Israel, the West Bank, Gaza Strip and Jericho area, or the Golan Heights of any traveler.
Visitors to Israel will experience strict security screening. They may be subject to prolonged questioning, detailed searches of their personal effects and, in some cases, body searches. Anything that cannot be readily examined, such as tubes of toothpaste, cans of shaving cream, computers, cameras, and other electronic or video equipment may be refused entry and may be confiscated and destroyed. If you plan to bring electronic, video, or other high-tech equipment to Israel, check with an Israeli embassy or consulate as to whether it could pass through security. Cameras should be empty when going through security so they can be opened for inspection. American citizens with Arab surnames, and in particular those seeking to enter Israel at the Allenby Bridge from Jordan, may encounter extra delays, including greater difficulty in bringing cameras and electronic equipment into the country.
Western dress is appropriate in Israel. At religious sites, attire should be modest. Religious holidays in Israel and Jerusalem are determined according to the Hebrew calendar and fall on different dates each year. It is likely that religious holidays in the Gaza Strip and Jericho area will be determined by the Moslem calendar, and also will fall on different dates each year. Because hotels are usually heavily booked before and during religious holidays, tourists should check holiday schedules with their travel agent or with the Embassy of Israel in Washington, D.C. Travelers should make reservations for holiday periods well in advance.
Dangerous Areas
On June 22, 1994, the Department of State issued a public announcement advising U.S. citizens to avoid travel to the Gaza Strip and West Bank, except for daylight visits to Bethlehem, Jericho, Highway 1 from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea , Route 90 through the Jordan Valley, and tourist sites along these routes, because of continuing disturbances in those areas. Should you decide to travel to the West Bank despite the public announcement, register with the U.S. Consulate General in Jerusalem. In the case of travel to Gaza or the Golan Heights, register with the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv. The situation in East Jerusalem, including the old city, is unpredictable and Americans should check with the U.S. Consulate General in Jerusalem for an update on conditions. Avoid demonstrations and other situations that have the potential to lead to violence and remember to carry your U.S. passport with you at all times.
Persons who need to cross into Jordan via the West Bank can use the Allenby Bridge crossing near the city of Jericho or the Arava crossing located near Eilat in the southern part of the country. A new land crossing in the north, near the former location of the Sheik Hussein Bridge, is expected to open before the end of 1994.
Travelers wishing to cross via the Allenby Bridge need a bridge crossing permit and a visa. Neither of these is obtainable in Israel. Some travelers arrange the papers through contacts in Jordan or use travel agents in East Jerusalem who specialize in this service. It takes several weeks to get the crossing permits and visas in order. Visas are not available at the bridge. They must be obtained ahead of time. The Allenby Bridge is open from 0800 to 1200 Sunday through Thursday and from 0800 to 1000 on Friday. It is closed on Saturday and on many Israeli holidays.
Persons travelling on a U.S. passport who wish to travel via the Arava crossing do not need to have a previously obtained crossing permit or visa. Jordanian visas can be obtained at this crossing point for a fee of approximately $20 (U.S.). Israeli dual nationals with third country passports may use their other (e.g., U.S.) passport to obtain Israeli permission to exit Israel and apply for a Jordanian entry visa. Normally, all Israelis, including dual nationals, must use their Israeli passports to enter and exit Israel. Travelers are not allowed to bring their personal vehicles across the border unless the vehicles are registered in another country. The Arava crossing is open Sunday- Thursday from 0800 to 1600. Procedures for the Sheik Hussein Bridge crossing when it becomes operable are expected to be similar to those for the Arava crossing.
A few areas in Israel are off-limits to unauthorized persons for military reasons. American visitors are expected to observe those off- limits restrictions. Conditions along Israel's cease-fire lines, including the Lebanese border, change frequently. U.S. travelers planning a visit close to the lines should first consult the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv.
Dual Nationality
It is our understanding that Israeli citizens who are naturalized in the United States retain their Israeli citizenship, and their children are considered Israeli citizens as well. In addition, children born in the United States to Israeli parents acquire both U.S. citizenship and Israeli nationality at birth. Israeli citizens, including dual nationals, are subject to Israeli laws requiring service in Israel's armed forces. Dual nationals of military age who do not wish to serve in the Israeli armed forces should contact the Israeli Embassy to obtain proof of exemption or deferment from Israeli military service before traveling to Israel.
Departing Israel
Persons leaving Israel by air are subjected to lengthy and detailed security questioning. Travelers should arrive at the airport several hours before flight time.
There is no departure tax when leaving Israel.
Travelers wishing to cross the Allenby-King Hussein Bridge from Jordan into the West Bank territories occupied by Israel must obtain written authorization by submitting their passport and one photo, in person, to the Jordanian Ministry of Interior three working days before the crossing date. The permit allows you to cross the bridge and to make a return crossing within 30 days. The bridge is open from 0800 to 1200 Sunday through Thursday and from 0800 to 1000 on Friday. The bridge is closed Saturdays and on many Israeli holidays. Travelers should arrive at the bridge at least one hour before closing time.
Conservative dress is recommended for Jordan. Travelers with dual U.S. and Jordanian nationality should be aware that the Jordanian government may require them to enter and leave Jordan on a Jordanian passport. Males between the ages of 18 and 40 who possess dual nationality may need to prove that they have met their military service obligation. For further information, see the section on dual nationality on page 6.
Those traveling on a temporary or visitor visa to Kuwait must observe the length of stay permitted in their visas. Currently, most visitor visas are valid for one year, multiple entries, and stays of up to one month. Fines are charged for each day overstayed; the fine is currently 10 Kuwait dinars per day, per person (approximately $34 U.S.).
Visitors to Kuwait should be aware of the danger of unexploded land mines, bombs, and shells throughout the country. Stay on main roads, do not travel on unpaved roads, and avoid open areas and beaches.
The crime rate in Kuwait has increased from prewar levels and women have been objects of increased harassment. Woman should take precautions as they would in any large city, remaining alert to the possibility of being followed, whether they are walking or driving. They should not respond to any approach from strangers and should avoid travel alone in unfamiliar or isolated parts of the city, especially at night. Conservative dress is recommended for both men and women. Garments should fit loosely and cover elbows and knees.
No alcohol, pork products, or pornographic materials may be imported into or used in Kuwait. If customs official discover prohibited items in a traveler's effects, he or she may be arrested and prosecuted.
U.S. citizens should not go near the border with Iraq, and should be very careful when traveling north or west of Kuwait City. In recent years, a number of foreigners traveling near the border have been taken into custody by Iraqi officials and some have received lengthy prison sentences. Anyone who must travel or work near the demilitarized zone is strongly advised to contact the U.S. Embassy for further advice before their travel begins.
As of January 31, 1987, U.S. passports became invalid for travel to, in, or through Lebanon. U.S. citizens are advised to avoid all travel to Lebanon. The situation in the country is so dangerous that no U.S. citizen can be considered safe from terrorist acts. To avoid the possibility of transiting Lebanon, U.S. citizens should make certain that any international flight they book in the region does not make an intermediate stop in Beirut. Such stops are not always announced.
Individuals in the following categories are eligible for consideration for special passport validation: professional journalists, representatives of the American or International Red Cross, persons with compelling humanitarian considerations, or persons whose travel is determined to be in the national interest. Applications for exceptions to the U.S. passport restriction may be made following the procedures outlined on page 17 in the section on Iraq.
U.S. dual nationals do not violate U.S. law if they use a foreign passport for travel to Lebanon, but they are required to use their U.S. passport when they depart from and return to the United States. There are no U.S. Treasury restrictions on travel to Lebanon.
Travelers who are granted passport exceptions to travel to Lebanon should be aware that normal protection of U.S. diplomatic and consular representatives cannot be provided. The U.S. Embassy in Beirut is not fully staffed and its personnel operate under exceptionally tight security conditions. Local telephone service is unreliable, and it is extremely difficult to contact the U.S. Embassy or place a local call from most of the country.
On December 10, 1981, U.S. passports ceased to be valid for travel to, in, or through Libya unless a special validation has been obtained, and on January 8, 1986, U.S. economic sanctions were imposed on Libya. In addition, on March 31, 1992, United Nations sanctions were imposed. These sanctions include an air embargo which took effect April 15, 1992. The categories of individuals eligible for consideration for special passport validation are professional journalists, representatives of the American or International Red Cross, persons with compelling humanitarian considerations, or persons whose travel is determined to be in the national interest.
All financial and commercial transactions with Libya are prohibited, unless licensed by the Office of Foreign Assets Control, U.S. Treasury Department. For the addresses to which applications can be made to overcome both the U.S. passport and the U.S. Treasury restrictions, see the section on Iraq, page 17.
Those persons granted exceptions to travel to Libya should be aware that there is no U.S. mission in Libya and U.S. interests are represented by the government of Belgium which can provide only limited protection for U.S. citizens.
U.S. citizens do not require a visa for a tourist or business visit of up to 3 months.
There are no tourist visas to Oman, and visa requirements for business travelers are stringent. Anyone arriving in Oman without a visa is subject to arrest. A business visitor must contact an Omani sponsor, either a businessman or firm, for assistance in procuring a non- objection certificate (NOC). The sponsor should begin application procedures several weeks ahead of expected travel. American firms new to Oman may receive guidance on Omani sponsorship from the commercial office of the U.S. Embassy in Muscat. They should send a telex (TLX 3785 AMEMBMUS ON) describing their company's activities and what they expect to accomplish in Oman.
Relatives of Omanis may be sponsored for a short visit using the NOC procedure. Although Oman imposes stringent entry requirements for all visitors, it does not require exit permits. Conservative dress is recommended for Oman. No alcohol, firearms, pornography or fresh food may be imported.
U.S. citizens must have a visa to enter Qatar. To receive a visa, an applicant must be sponsored by a resident of Qatar, a local business, or by the hotel at which he or she will be staying. After obtaining a sponsor, travelers may apply for visas at a Qatari embassy or consulate.
A sponsor can arrange to have a visa waiting for the U.S. traveler upon his or her arrival at Doha's International Airport. However, a traveler should ask his or her sponsor for written confirmation that an airport visa has been approved prior to departing for Qatar.
Passengers may transit Qatar without a visa if they continue their journey within 24 hours and have confirmed reservations on the same or the next available flight. Transit passengers may not leave the transit lounge of Doha Airport.
Qatar is a traditional Muslim country. Conservative dress and behavior are strongly recommended for all visitors. Travelers to Qatar may not bring in narcotics, weapons, items deemed pornographic, or pork products. Luggage is subject to careful inspection by customs officials.
Qatar's population is approximately 400,000, of whom an estimated 100,000 are Qataris. Serious crime is virtually unknown and medical facilities are adequate. Although Arabic is the official language, English is widely spoken.
Saudi Arabia
Nearly 36% of the inhabitants of Saudi Arabia are resident foreigners. This includes approximately 30,000 American citizens. English is acknowledged as a second language and is taught in the secondary schools.
Islam dominates all aspects of life in Saudi Arabia-- government policy, cultural norms, and social behavior. Islam is the only official religion of the country, and public observance of any other religion is forbidden. The Saudi government considers it a sacred duty to safeguard two of the greatest shrines of Islam, the holy mosques located in the cities of Mecca and Medina. Travel to Mecca and Medina is forbidden to non-Muslims. Muslims throughout the world turn to Mecca five times a day for prayer. Restaurants, stores, and other public places close for approximately a half-hour upon hearing the call to prayer, and Muslims stop their activities to pray during that time. Government and business activities are noticeably curtailed during the month of Ramadan, during the celebrations at the end of Ramadan, and during the time of the annual pilgrimage to Mecca, the Hajj. Travel facilities into, out of, and within Saudi Arabia are crowded during these periods.
Saudi Arabian Social Norms. U.S. citizens are advised that Saudi Arabia is a conservative country with a rigorous code of public behavior that everyone, including foreigners, is fully expected to observe. In particular, Westerners need to be aware of the standards of appropriate attire and the prohibition of mingling of the sexes in public places.
Dress. Although Westerners have some leeway in dress and social contacts within company residential compounds, both men and women should dress conservatively in public. Women's clothing should be loose fitting and concealing, with high necks, skirts worn well below the knee, and sleeves below the elbow. It is recommended that women not wear pants.
Social Behavior in Public. Females are prohibited from driving vehicles or riding bicycles on public roads, or in places where they might be observed. Males and females beyond childhood are not free to congregate together in most public places, and a man may be arrested for being seen with, walking with, traveling with, or driving a woman other than his wife or immediate relative. In Saudi Arabia, playing of music or dancing in public, mixed bathing, public showing of movies, and consumption of alcoholic beverages are forbidden.
Saudi religious police, known as Mutawwa, have been empowered to enforce the conservative interpretation of Islamic codes of dress and behavior for women, and may rebuke or harass women who do not cover their heads or whose clothing is insufficiently concealing. In addition, in more conservative areas, there have been incidents of private Saudi citizens stoning, accosting, or pursuing foreigners, including U.S. citizens, for perceived dress code or other infractions. While most such incidents have resulted in little more than inconvenience or embarrassment for the individual targeted, there have been incidents where Westerners were physically harmed.
U.S. citizens in Saudi Arabia should be aware of Saudi social practices, and that any infractions may be dealt with aggressively. If you are accosted by Saudi authorities, cooperate fully in accordance with local customs and regulations. U.S. citizens who are harassed by private Saudi citizens or Saudi authorities should report the incidents immediately to the U.S. Embassy in Riyadh or the U.S. Consulate General either in Dhahran or in Jeddah.
Entry Visas and Requirements. The Saudi government does not issue tourist visas. It issues two types of entry visas: one for temporary business visits or to visit relatives, the other for individuals entering Saudi Arabia on an employment contract.
Temporary Visits. All applicants for temporary visitor visas for the purpose of business consultations must have a Saudi company or individual sponsor their applications. Individuals who wish to visit non-Saudi relatives must have their relatives' Saudi sponsor request authorization of their applications through the Saudi Foreign Ministry. Persons present in Saudi Arabia on temporary visitor visas should not surrender their passports to the Saudi sponsor. The passport and visa are the only evidence of the bearer's legal right to be present in the country.
If an individual is present in the Kingdom on a temporary visitor visa and has obtained Saudi sponsorship for employment, he or she must exit Saudi Arabia to obtain an entry visa for employment. This visa need not be issued in the individual's country of origin, but the applicant must be physically present to apply for the visa.
Employment and Residence. Visas for employment and residence are obtained the same way as visas for temporary visits. Documentation, such as a letter from the sponsoring company, a copy of your signed contract, or a notarized copy of the your university degree may also be required. Before you sign a contract with a Saudi company, it is extremely important you obtain an independent English translation of the contract. The official and binding version of the contract that you sign is the Arabic text. Some Americans have signed contracts that in fact did not include all of the benefits they believed they were acquiring.
The employee's dependents (spouse and children under the age of 18) may be brought into Saudi Arabia only with the concurrence of the Saudi sponsor and authorization of the Foreign Ministry. Ordinarily, only managers and professionals (holders of college degrees) may bring their families. Children over age 18 are likely to be refused residence.
Exit Visas. Persons entering Saudi Arabia for the purpose of employment are issued residence permits (iqamas). These permits are evidence of legal residence in Saudi Arabia and must be retained at all times. Foreign residents are not permitted to travel between different major regions of Saudi Arabia unless permission is noted in their permits. A resident in Saudi Arabia may not depart the country under any circumstances, however exigent, without obtaining an exit visa. Exit visas are issued only upon request of the Saudi sponsor. U.S. consular officials are not able to 'sponsor' exit visas for Americans resident in Saudi Arabia under any circumstances. In a genuine emergency, however, consular officials will attempt to facilitate the Saudi sponsor's request for the exit visa.
Residents in Saudi Arabia are almost always required to surrender their passports, and those of their dependents, to the Saudi sponsor. This practice is specifically authorized in the Saudi employment law. If an urgent need for travel exists and if the Saudi sponsor will not release the first passport, the U.S. Embassy or Consulate can issue a replacement passport. The issuance of a replacement passport does not guarantee, however, that a person will be able to depart, since the replacement passport would not contain a Saudi residence permit or exit visa.
Mixed Marriages. A married woman residing with her Saudi husband should be aware that she must have her husband's permission to depart or have their children depart from Saudi Arabia. This is true even if the woman or children are U.S. citizens. The husband is the sponsor of his foreign wife and of his children, and is, as such, the only individual who can request an exit visa for the wife or children.
Commercial and Business Disputes. Disputes between parties who do not have a signed formal contract must be settled through mutual agreement or through an appeal to the local governor (amir) for judgment. Such disputes usually involve business representatives on temporary visitor visas. Some Saudi business sponsors have gained possession of the passports of their visitors to use as leverage in disputes, but this is not authorized under Saudi law.
Commercial disputes between parties who have a formal contract can be brought to the Commercial Arbitration Board of the Saudi Chamber of Commerce or to the Committee for the Settlement of Commercial Disputes in the Ministry of Commerce. Disputes involving a government agency may be brought before the Grievance Board, an autonomous court body under the Office of the King. Employer/employee disputes may be brought before the Committee for the Settlement of Labor Disputes in the Ministry of Labor. An amicable out-of-court settlement is always the best and least expensive way to resolve a dispute, since referring matters to commercial or labor tribunals can be costly and time consuming.
Ultimate responsibility for obtaining private legal counsel and resolving a dispute through the Saudi legal system lies with the parties involved. Consular officers will offer lists of local attorneys to help settle such disputes. Business visitors should be aware that if the Saudi party in a commercial dispute files a complaint with the authorities, Saudi law permits barring the exit of the foreign party until the dispute is completely settled, including payment of any damages.
Saudi law is applied exclusively in all commercial and contract dispute cases, even if the contract was drawn up and/or signed outside Saudi Arabia. Remember that the Arabic text of the contract or agreement is the text that is considered binding.
Customs Clearance. Customs clearance procedures in Saudi Arabia are formal, thorough, and lengthy and may involve a full search of every piece of luggage. Transit passengers who wish to leave the transit area of the airport are subject to the same strict searches as arriving passengers.
Vaccinations. Travelers to Saudi Arabia may wish to get a meningococcal vaccine prior to departure, and may be required to have one during the Hajj. Before traveling, consult the Centers for Disease Control (see page 9) for updated recommendations on this and other vaccines.
AIDS Clearance. All persons going to Saudi Arabia for purposes of employment are required to present a certification stating that they are free of the Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome virus. The test should be included as part of the global medical examination which is given to those who enter Saudi Arabia on a work permit. It is not required of travelers entering Saudi Arabia on a temporary visitor visa.
Photography. Visitors should not photograph mosques, people who are praying, military or government installations, and key industrial, communications, or transportation facilities. If you have any doubts about what you may photograph, request permission first.
Alcohol and Drugs. Import, manufacture, possession, and consumption of alcoholic beverages or drugs are strictly forbidden. Saudi officials make no exceptions. Americans have spent up to a year in Saudi prisons for alcohol-related offenses. Americans have also been sentenced to receive 75 or more lashes in lieu of prison for failing a blood test for alcohol. Travelers should also exercise extreme care and discretion when consuming alcohol on flights landing in the Kingdom. Persons obviously inebriated are subject to arrest or deportation.
Many drugs sold with or without prescription in other countries may be illegal in Saudi Arabia. For instance, captagon (fenetylline hydrochloride), a drug used to treat exhaustion which is available without a prescription in some countries in Asia, is considered an illegal substance in Saudi Arabia. Americans in Saudi Arabia have received prison sentences of up to 2 1/2 months and 70 lashes for possession of captagon.
The attempted importation of drugs or controlled substances, even in very small amounts, is a serious offense under Saudi law. The traveler will be arrested and tried for carrying drugs into the country. Americans have served prisons sentences for drug possession or use. The death penalty for drug smugglers and traffickers convicted of a second offense underscores the gravity with which authorities treat drug offenses in the Kingdom. Customs authorities are now using dogs to detect drugs at Saudi airports.
Prescription drugs in small quantities, clearly labeled with the traveler's name, doctor's name, pharmacy, and contents on the original container, should cause no problem. It is wise to carry a copy of the prescription as well. The importation of drugs in large amounts, however, can be done legally only through the Ministry of Health.
Other Forbidden Items. Items considered pornographic by Saudi standards, including magazines and video cassettes, are strictly forbidden. It is also illegal to import firearms of any type, ammunition, related items such as gunsights and gun magazines, food items, and banned books.
Personal religious items such as a Bible or a rosary are usually permitted, but travelers should be aware that on occasion, these items have been seized at entry and not returned to the traveler.
Pets. Most pets, except dogs, may be brought into the country provided they are accompanied by a health certificate authenticated by the Saudi consulate in the country of origin. Dogs are banned with the exception of guard dogs, hunting dogs, and seeing-eye dogs. Dogs in these excepted categories must be accompanied by a health certificate and a certificate authenticated by the Saudi consulate in the country of origin that attests that the dog fits into one of the exempt categories.
All visitors to Syria must have a valid Syrian visa on arrival in the country. Although airport visas are technically available, they are virtually unattainable.
Syrian law does not recognize the U.S. citizenship of a naturalized Syrian unless the Syrian government has given that person permission to renounce Syrian nationality. U.S.-Syrian dual nationals who have not received that permission are considered Syrian when they enter Syria even when they enter on their U.S. passports. A Syrian male cannot leave the country until he has satisfied the requirement for military service. (Syrian-American males who have not completed the obligatory military service, but who wish to visit Syria should contact the Syria Embassy in Washington for more information.) This does not apply to a man who is the only son in a family, but it applies to all other men of normal military service age or older. Any person, male or female, who is considered Syrian may take no more than $2,000 worth of convertible currency out of Syria, no matter how much they may have brought into the country. U.S. citizens of Syrian origin may experience difficulties if they remain in Syria after the expiration of their visas. If you are a dual national, check with the Syrian Embassy on the obligations of Syrian citizenship before you visit Syria.
Travelers may bring any amount of currency into Syria. Syrian law does not require currency to be declared unless the total is more than $5,000. It is wise, however, to declare any currency you have, because you can not take currency out of Syria unless it has been declared upon arrival. There are two rates of exchange in Syria. In addition to the official rate, Syrian pounds may be purchased at the more favorable 'neighboring country rate' at the Syrian Commercial Bank or at a major hotel if you have convertible currency in cash or travelers checks. Hotel bills must be paid in convertible currency or with Syrian pounds obtained at the official rate from the Commercial Bank of Syria (receipt required). Meals and all other purchases can be paid for with Syrian pounds and do not require official rate certification. Credit card charges may be figured at either the official rate or the neighboring country rate. Travelers should check which rate will apply before making any credit card purchase.
Syrian pounds cannot be taken out of Syria. Travelers cannot convert Syrian pounds back into convertible currency, and should therefore not purchase more of the currency than they expect to spend in Syria.
Conservative dress is recommended for Syria. Travelers should exercise caution when photographing historic sites. Photographs may be taken of regular tourist attractions, such as ancient ruins and temples, but warnings are issued against photographing government buildings, government property, and anything other than tourist sites.
U.S. citizens do not need a visa for a tourist or business visit of up to four months, but must possess return or onward tickets. No local currency may be imported or exported.
As of August 1991, naturalized U.S. citizens of Tunisian origin are no longer required to have a Tunisian travel document in order to depart from Tunisia. They may enter and depart Tunisia on their U.S. passport.
United Arab Emirates
The United Arab Emirates (U.A.E.) is a federation of seven independent emirates. Visitors to the U.A.E. must obtain a visa before arrival. Some of the Emirates allow hotels or airlines to sponsor persons entering for short visits. Persons who overstay their visas are subject to fines and/or imprisonment. Both penalties have been imposed on U.S. citizens.
The U.A.E. prohibits the import of pornography, controlled substances, firearms, ammunition, or items capable of being used as weapons. Videotapes will be screened by customs officials, an often lengthy process, and may be confiscated. Non-Muslims may consume alcohol in licensed bars or restaurants.
Visitors may apply for a temporary U.A.E. driver's licence upon presentation of a valid U.S. license. There are strict penalties for persons involved in traffic accidents while under the influence of alcohol, including lashings for Muslims.
Women residing in the U.A.E. do not require their husband's permission to travel abroad, but a husband may block his wife's departure by submitting her name to immigration authorities. The U.A.E. does not recognize dual nationality, and U.A.E. citizenship is transmitted through the father regardless of the child's place of birth. Dual national children generally must enter and depart the U.A.E. using their U.A.E. passports.
Yemen Conditions in Yemen remain unsettled due to the recent end of Yemen's civil war. Ordnance such as mines, left over from the war, may pose a hazard to travelers. U.S. citizens should exercise caution in Yemen and avoid travel in remote areas. Local tribal disputes have occasionally led to violence. Westerners, including U.S. citizens, have been kidnapped as a result of such local disputes, and vehicles have been hijacked. Urban violence and crime is a growing problem in Yemen, including within the capital, Sanaa.
Visitor visas, which are usually valid for entry for up to one month, are required. Entry to Yemen may be denied to persons with passports showing Israeli visas or entry/exit stamps.
Because of the 7200 feet altitude of Sanaa and the lack of adequate medical facilities, travelers may wish to consult their physicians before visiting Yemen. Independent travel in Yemen is difficult; it is advisable to arrange your trip though a travel agent. Photography of military installations, equipment, or troops is forbidden.
Foreign Embassies in the United States Embassy of ALGERIA 2137 Wyoming Ave., NW Washington, DC 20008 (202) 265-2800
Embassy of BAHRAIN 3502 International Dr., NW Washington, DC 20008 (202) 342-0741
Embassy of EGYPT Consular Section 2310 Decatur Place, NW Washington, DC 20008 (202) 234-3903
IRANIAN Interests Section Embassy of PAKISTAN 2209 Wisconsin Ave., NW Washington, DC 20007 (202) 965-4990
IRAQI Interests Section Embassy of ALGERIA 1801 P Street NW Washington, DC 20036 (202) 387-0171
Embassy of ISRAEL 3514 International Dr., NW Washington, DC 20008 (202) 364-5500
Embassy of JORDAN 3504 International Dr., NW Washington, DC 20008 (202) 966-2664
Embassy of KUWAIT 2940 Tilden Street, NW Washington, DC 20008 (202) 966-0702
Embassy of LEBANON
2560 28th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20008
(202) 939-6300
Embassy of MOROCCO
1601 21st Street, NW
Washington, DC 20009
(202) 462-7979
Embassy of OMAN
2535 Belmont Rd., NW
Washington, DC 20008
(202) 387-1980
Embassy of QATAR
600 New Hampshire Ave., NW
Suite 1180
Washington, DC 20037
(202) 338-0111
601 New Hampshire Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20037
(202) 342-3800
Embassy of SYRIA
2215 Wyoming Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20008
(202) 232-6313
Embassy of TUNISIA
1515 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20005
(202) 862-1850
Embassy of the
600 New Hampshire Ave., NW
Suite 740
Washington, DC 20037
(202) 338-6500
Embassy of YEMEN
600 New Hampshire Ave. NW
Suite 840
Washington, DC 20037
(202) 965-4760
U.S. Embassies and Consulates Abroad
Note: workweek is Monday-Friday except where noted.
Workweek: Sat.-Wed.
American Embassy
4 Chemin Cheich Bachir
16000 Algiers, ALGERIA
Tel. (213-2) 601-425/255/186
Workweek: Sat.-Wed.
American Embassy
Bldg. 979, Road No. 3119
Zinj District
(Next to Al Ahli Sports Club)
Tel. (973) 273-300;
afterhours 275-126
Workweek: Sun.-Thurs.
American Embassy
8 Kamal El-Din Salah Street
Cairo, EGYPT
Tel. (20-2) 355-7371
Workweek: Sun.-Thurs.
U.S. Interests Section
Bucharest Avenue &
17th Street, No. 5
Tehran, IRAN
Tel. (98-21) 625-223/4,
Workweek: Sun.-Thurs.
U.S. Interests Section
Embassy of POLAND
Hay Babil, Section 929
Lane 7, House 17, Alwiyah
Baghdad, IRAQ
Tel. (964-1) 719-613819,
American Embassy
7l Hayarkon Street
Tel Aviv, ISRAEL
Tel. (972-3) 517-4338;
afterhours 517-4347
U.S. Consular Agency
(limited services only)
12 Jerusalem Street
Haifa 33132, ISRAEL
Tel. (972-4) 670-615;
afterhours 246-386
American Consulate General
Consular Section
27 Nablus Road
Jerusalem 94190
Tel. (972-2) 253-288
Workweek: Sun.-Thurs.
American Embassy
Tel. (962-6) 820-101
Workweek: Sat.-Wed.
American Embassy
13001 SAFAT
Kuwait, KUWAIT
Tel. (965) 242-4151 thru 9
American Embassy
Tel. (961-1) 402-200, 403-300
American Embassy
2 Avenue de Marrakech
Tel. (212-7) 762-265
American Consulate General
8 Boulevard Moulay Youssef
Casablanca, MOROCCO
Tel. (212-2) 264-550
Workweek: Sat.-Wed., 0730-1600
American Embassy
PO Box 50202
Madinat Qaboos
Muscat, OMAN
Tel. (968) 698-989
after 4pm 699-049
Workweek: Sat.-Wed.
American Embassy
149 Ahmed Bin Ali Street
Farig Bin Omran
Tel. (974) 864-701/2/3
afterhours 448-8888
Workweek: Sat.-Wed.
American Embassy
Collector Road M
Diplomatic Quarter
Tel. (966-1) 488-3800
American Consulate General
Between Aramco Hqrs. and
Dhahran Int'l. Airport
Tel. (966-3) 891-3200
American Consulate General
Palestine Road, Ruwais
Tel. (966-2) 667-0080
Workweek: Sun.-Thurs.
American Embassy
Abou Roumaneh
Al-Mansur Street No. 2
Damascus, SYRIA
Tel. (963-11) 333-2814,
771-4108, 333-0788;
afterhours 333-3232
American Embassy
144 Ave. de la Liberte
Tel. (216-1) 782-566
Workweek: Sat.-Wed.
American Embassy
Al-Sudan Street
Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.
Tel. (971-2) 436-691;
after hours 434-457
American Consulate
Dubai International
Trade Center
Dubai, U.A.E.
Tel. (971-4) 313-115
Workweek: Sat.-Wed.
American Embassy
Dhar Himyar Zone
Sheraton Hotel District
Sanaa, YEMEN
Tel. (967-1) 238-842/52
[END OF Tips for Travelers to the Middle East and North Africa]
Back to Near East and North Africa Bureau Documents
Return to the Electronic Research Collection Geographic Bureaus Home Page
Visit the Electronic Research Collection Home Page
Go to the U.S. State Department Home Page
To top of page