Sign in
Google

Google News Help Feed Feed

Google Help > Google News > Discussions > Google News Suggestions > Limit Personal News Site to certain news sources

Question: Limit Personal News Site to certain news sources Report abuse

yeela
Level 1
1/20/09
Hi,

this is more a feature request than a question.
I use many google services on a daily bases but i hardly ever use google news and this is due to the fact that i cannot limit google news to certain high quality news sources. I know I can limit the search with site:newsite.com and that i can create custom news gadgets that use this search feature but this is quite cumbersome.
I think there should be a preference and a advanced search mode in which i could include and exclude sources from a (long) list with effect for all of my google news experience. I just don't want to see some newspapers' news.

This would make me and many of my friends use google news instead of checking all of our favorite news sites manually.
But at the moment google news will not deliver quality news because there is a lot of yellow and local press present that sort of block the news I want to read.

Thanks

All answers

blink
Level 1
1/21/09
I sign in on this one too: I am Portuguese, and enjoy reading news.google.pt, but unfortunately, 1/3 of the news source are actually Brazilian (even though there is a Brazilian google news too), which I have absolutely no interest in reading. I mean, it's not so hard to check the domain to see if it's a .br and filter it out of the Portuguese version (which Google news unfortunately doesn't do), but there are also some .com Brazilian news sites I would like to keep from showing up on my google news... Nothing against them, but I reckon the American google news users would also not be interested to hear about small incidents that happened in London or so...
Do you think this answers the question? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
EWAdams
Level 1
2/8/09
1 person says this answers the question:
I agree wholeheartedly with the above. Please create a mechanism whereby I can permanently exclude Fox "News" from my results (or any other publisher of my choosing).
ffr9r
Level 1
2/8/09
2 people say this answers the question:
To keep the duplication down on how to elevate high quality news sites et al remove ones you don't like, please see topic:
How come there are so many Fox News leads?
joshuapurcell
Level 1
2/19/09
1 person says this answers the question:
I'm signing this one as well. Not being able to limit the news sources on news.google.com severely limits the quality of news I see when I go to this site, and I still use it every day despite this problem. This great tool would become that much better if I would be able to decide for myself which news sources measured up to my standards, and then I could easily keep lesser quality sources from displaying their sensational articles disguised as news reports from my favorite site.
hnoble
Level 1
3/15/09
i want to do this too. maybe something like in facebook where there's an option next to a news source that says "less of" or "more of".

this would be great as i could get the Daily Mail and other trash off my screen.

what i like about google news is that i frequently discover new interesting sources so by excluding some sources other would get more space.

it would also good to see statistics that show how others are managing their information although i expect this might be too commercially sensitive...
Chris Beaman
Level 1
3/15/09
I, too, would like to be able to filter out certain news sources (just adding to the vote here). Thanks

Sign in to answer this question.

Subscribe

© 2009 Google - Privacy Policy - Terms of Service