Develop English Skills for Careers in the Federal Government Scholarship program
for U.S. citizens who are native speakers of Arabic, Mandarin, Pashto, Farsi, Dari, or Urdu.
Walk through our application process by clicking on the steps below.
Is EHLS the program for you?
Do all the following requirements apply to you?
- Native speaker with professional-level proficiency in Arabic, Mandarin, Pashto, Farsi, Dari, or Urdu
- Advanced proficiency in English
- U.S. citizenship
- College degree
- Ability to commit to full-time daytime study for 6 months
- Willingness to work for the federal government for 1 year
News and Announcements
- Application period for 2009 program now closed. Please try again next year.
- 2009 Program Dates: January 5 – August 21
- Sign up for our e-newsletter here.
- Read about us in the DIA Communique.
Mai Ly Chi
"The training in the EHLS program prepared me well for my job and I have received compliments from my supervisor."
After graduation, Mai Ly was offered a position as an accountant at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement section of the Department of Homeland Security.
The EHLS Program | Center for Language Education and Development
3607 O Street NW | Washington, DC 20007
ph: 202.687.4455 | fax 202.337.1559 | email@example.com