Sign in
Google

Google News Help Feed Feed

Google Help > Google News > Discussions > Google News Publishers - Troubleshooting > HELP - Drastic fall in indexing rate of a global news portal

Question: HELP - Drastic fall in indexing rate of a global news portal Report abuse

VickyS
Level 1
7/8/09

I'm representing a three year old news portal. We are an accepted google news source and not experiencing any indexing issue till two week back.
Now from two week we experience a drastic fall in index rate. Before the problem all the articles published at portal was indexed by google news in real time. We also implementd news sitemap but nothing is change so far. Please help us to sort out this problem

Sitemap: http://tinyurl.com/l8xvgl

Answers: 1 of 13 All answers

methode
Top Contributor
7/8/09
Can you login into the webmaster tools, click on sitemaps from the left hand navigation, click on the news_sitemap.xml link in the next window and on the detailed sitemap report page check whether the sitemap type and format are both listed as "News", please?
Also, if it's not a hassle, please take a screenshot as well.

Do you think this answers the question? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
VickyS
Level 1
7/8/09
snapshot - http://tinyurl.com/m5yngu

I checked it both "sitemap type" and "format" showing "News". Some times I noticed its showed sitemap type - web. Is it problem? How to fix it?
methode
Top Contributor
7/8/09
Yes, when it's "web" that's a problem. You can fix it by removing the news sitemap from the console altogether then you submit it again.
Anyway, when you once submitted a news sitemap, you can forget it. No need to ping or resubmitting it, just update it constantly on your end.

Anyway, how many articles do you post in average on daily basis? I see you have 16 articles in Google News from the past 24 hours. Does that match the amount you have posted?
VickyS
Level 1
7/8/09
After 3 hour of resubmitting news sitemap its still show in pending status. Sitemap format and type are "news". What to do?

We upload almost 60 news articles in 24 hour.
methode
Top Contributor
7/8/09
Nothing. Wait a bit more. Most likely it's already processed but it's not yet reported in the console.

Anyway, there are some issues with the news sitemap as well. First of all, the keywords not necessarily has to be placed in a cdata tag as it won't be processed by a browser but Google and that won't expect a cdata tag.
Secondly, the news sitemap shall contain URLs to articles which has been posted in the past 72 hours (3 days). At the moment you have in the sitemap URls to articles which were posted back at 30th of June.

Please fix these issues.
davidfree
Level 2
7/8/09
I also work for a large news portals.
For the last month we have been experiencing strong fluctuations in the rate of indexation in Google News.
Some of our sites now are indexed, but suddenly don´t appear on the main pages anymore (where the traffic is).

It almost feels like there is a process in place where an google algorithm or a google person switches on or off different sites (and for one of our sites: switches off complete site sections suddenly).

We do not understand what is going on, but I have not found anything we can do about it.

Not that this helps you, but it is not only you that is having problems with the stories in google news right now...
VickyS
Level 1
7/9/09
After 22 hour sitemap console still showing in pending status. Please guide
methode
Top Contributor
7/9/09
I asked a Google employee to look into this thread. Please have patience. 
VickyS
Level 1
7/9/09
After going through different forum posting suggestions - I delete my sitemap and submit it again. But nothing to change showing in pending status after 3 hour.
methode
Top Contributor
7/9/09
Yes, as I said, please have a bit of patience. An engineer will look into the problem as soon as possible.
GlobalVoice
Level 1
7/10/09
Is there anyone who actually solve this issue
davidfree
Level 2
7/10/09
1 person says this answers the question:
hi Global Voice,
to be honest: no, I do not think there is a solution you can actively work for.
(for my news site, we have given up on google news as source of traffic...)

It´s a black box, and if methode cannot reach anybody (or the google news team is not able or willing to reconsider your case and change the algorithm accordingly), then NO, there is no solution.

So you can only be patient and hope that there is change in the future. 
Abe
Google Employee
7/14/09
methode (Top Contributor) says this answers the question:
Hi Vicky,

Not sure why the status still reads "pending", but we've successfully gotten a number of articles from your sitemap in the last few days, so it appears to be working properly. I understand how frustrating it can be to not be able to see any updates in the Webmaster Tools interface, and I'll look into why that's the case.

Thanks,
Abe

Sign in to answer this question.

Subscribe

Tell us how we're doing: Please answer a few questions about your experience to help us improve our Help Center.