01 Jul 2007 - 25 Oct 2022
We are interested in the nonlinear and nonequilibrum behavior of living and nonliving matter in all its forms. We use a combination of techniques to pursue this, ranging from simple observations of phenomena to quantitative experiments and theory. Many of the topics that we work on start with our everyday experiences of the mundane, which by its very nature is robust. The challenge is to abstract out some principle from a phenomenon that is of relevance far beyond the particular manifestation of it. We also have a small laboratory for tinkering around.
- Nonequilibrium scale selection mechanism for columnar jointing
L. Goehring L. Mahadevan, and S. Morris, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA), 106, 387, 2009.
- Self-organization of a mesoscale bristle into ordered hierarchical helical assemblies
B. Pokroy, S. Kang, L. Mahadevan, and J. Aizenberg, Science, 323, 237, 2009.
- Tissue Tectonics: morphogenetic strain rates, cell shape change and intercalation
G. Blanchard, A. Kabla, L. Butler, B. Sanson, N. Gorfinkiel, L. Mahadevan and R. Adams, Nature Methods, 6(6), 458-64, 2009.
- A generalized theory of viscous and inviscid flutter
S. Mandre and L. Mahadevan, Proceedings of the Royal Society of London (A), doi:10.1098/rspa.2009.0328, 2009.
- The shape of a long leaf
H. Liang and L. Mahadevan, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA), early edition, 2009.
- Elasticity of floppy and stiff random networks
M. Wyart, H. Liang, A. Kabla,and L. Mahadevan, Physical Review Letters, 101, 215501, 2008.
- Limbless undulatory propulsion on land
Z. Guo and L. Mahadevan, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA), 105, 3179, 2008.
- Polymer science and biology: structure and dynamics at multiple scales
L. Mahadevan, Faraday Discussions, 139, 9, 2008.
- Sickle cell vaso-occlusion and rescue in a microfluidic device
J. Higgins, D. Eddington, S. Bhatia and L. Mahadevan, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA), 104, 20496, 2007.
- The universal dynamics of cell spreading
D. Cuvelier, M. Thery, Y.-S. Chu, S. Dufour, J-P. Thiery, M. Bornens, P. Nassoy, and L. Mahadevan, Current Biology , 17, 694, 2007.
- Sensorimotor control during isothermal tracking in Caenorhabditis elegans
L. Luo, D.A. Clark, D. Biron, L. Mahadevan, and A.D.T.Samuel, The Journal of Experimental Biology 209, 4652-4662, 2006.
- Dynamics of surfactant-driven fracture of particle rafts
D. Vella, H-Y Kim, P. Aussillous and L. Mahadevan, Physical Review Letters, 96, 178301, 2006.
- Fluid-flow induced flutter of a flag
M. Argentina and L. Mahadevan, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA), 102, 1829-34, 2005.
- Self-organized origami
L. Mahadevan and S. Rica, Science, 307, 1740, 2005.
- Physical limits and design principles for plant and fungal movements
J. Skotheim and L. Mahadevan, Science, 308, 1308-10, 2005.
Last Updated: January 12, 2010
Lola England de Valpine Professor of Applied Mathematics
Affiliate Professor, Systems Biology (Harvard Medical School)
Pierce Hall 324
29 Oxford Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Our work has inspired some recent articles, interviews, editorials and even a series of paintings. See below:
© Copyright 2008 President and Fellows of Harvard University.