Sign in
Google - YouTube

Help forum Feed Feed

Questions about the YouTube Video Page's new look? Find out more about the re-designed page, current location of YouTube features, and what's new, by visiting this Help Center article.

Help forum > YouTube > How do I...? > Compromised Account? Report it here

Compromised Account? Report it here Report abuse

Liz YouTube support
Google Employee
2/23/10
Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to let you know that there is a new contact form for hijacked accounts. If you believe that your account may have been compromised and would like to report the situation for our Team to investigate, just visit the following article:

The information you provide in the form will go directly to the Team here and we will investigate the matter. Once we've looked into the case, you will receive an email update letting you know your options and whether we were able to help you retrieve the account.

Hope that this resource is helpful! 

All the best,

~ Liz & the YouTube Team

Replies 1 - 40 of 74

faberoptime
Level 4
2/23/10
Absolutely excellent!
Thanks so much for this valuable development.

7 of 12 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
mightylions1
Level 11
2/23/10
Thank you!  This is what YouTube really needed.  I'm glad that users with hacked accounts now have hope they can regain their account.

mightylions1

3 of 6 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
mightylions1
Level 11
2/24/10
Oh, one more thing.  A lot of people have been hacked or are worried that they will be hacked and I was wondering if I could have permission from YouTube to make a video about this new form.  Most people probally don't even know this form exsists, and I'm sure they would like to know about it.  I would make a "What to do" video if you get hacked.  I've heard that YouTube sometimes accepts user-created videos to put in their help section and it would be ok with me if they put my video in their help articles.  Please tell me if that would be ok.

mightylions1
3 of 3 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
Blaziken257
Level 4
2/25/10
Wow... it only took about two and a half years for this form to appear. I guess better late than never, but I've noticed people's accounts getting hacked left and right since the middle of 2007. It hasn't happened to me, but it's happened to so many other people it's not even funny...
1 of 1 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
anmoose
Top Contributor
2/25/10
That's primarily due to the concept of online personal security going completely down the toilet over the past couple of years. Virtually none of these "hackers" actually "hacked" anything. As more and more people lose the consciousness of maintaining tight security, the numbers will continue increasing. If people would think to tighten up, it would all but stop.
1 of 3 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
kingcutie1972
Level 1
2/25/10
Thank you, Google.  I filled out the form and at least have a little more hope now.  I've been frustrated and heartbroken since my account was hijacked last week.

Please help me regain control of my account so I can get rid of the nasty spam overlays a squatter has implemented ... and so that more videos can be posted.  I love my account and just want it back.

This gesture is a step in the right direction.  Please help.

Patrick Tillmann
kingcutie@aol.com
http://www.youtube.com/kingcutie
2 of 2 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
Stefanie Damm
Level 12
2/25/10
Thank the lady upstairs for small mercies!  Much needed, very much appreciated!  :)
kingcutie1972
Level 1
2/25/10
That form worked.  Once Google / YouTube see that your account has been compromised and actually correspond with you, they really are helpful.

I'm back in!  Thanks, everyone!!!

My faith in humanity has been restored.

Patrick
Did you find this answer helpful? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
HassanAlHajry..
Level 2
2/25/10
Well lets see if they will actually help us, youtube team say a lot of stuff but do so little......

My Youtube account name is "Hassanalhajry" and i have no access to the account (The account is online) and resetting password doesn't help too it says password is wrong even if i reset it 10 times.

I have access to the registered email address AND the Google account for this youtube account but still i cant access the youtube account which is online since it says your password is wrong all the time

It seems that there is someone else that have linked their youtube account to my Google account which resulted in all this drama and made me lose access to my own account
1 of 2 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
ebbixx
Top Contributor
2/26/10
@mightylions1  -- I don't think you need to ask anyone for permission, so long as you aren't misrepresenting yourself by claiming the video is "official" or endorsed by YouTube. 

You're perfectly free to make a video on any topic you choose, and can expect to keep it live as long as you take care to keep it legal.
2 of 3 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
ebbixx
Top Contributor
2/26/10
@ HassanAlHajry..  Did you use the form?
2 of 4 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
mightylions1
Level 11
2/26/10
@ebbixx yeah, I am just worried that if I include a screenshot of the form, YouTube will remove the video for copyright infringment because their logo is in the video.

Btw, is the "Call for submissions" to submit your video to the YouTube Help Center ad legit?  I saw that on the side of a bunch of help articles.
ebbixx
Top Contributor
2/26/10
I can't speak for YouTube, but I find it hard to imagine they would object to such a use, given that it's a clear a case of fair use as I can imagine.  If they objected to that, they'd have issued DMCAs months ago for all the screencaps I've posted to Flickr illustrating various things related to functions, bugs, etc.  But, stranger things have happened... proceed at your own risk, as the saying goes.

I'm fairly sure the "Call for submissions" is legit.
mightylions1
Level 11
2/26/10
@ebbixx thanks.  Oh, and btw YouTube, you need to put an option on the hacked account form to check off if your hacked account is suspended (if the user that hacks your account loads questionable content on your account and then flags it to get you suspended).  That has happended to many users recently.
yiNXs
Level 1
3/4/10
Glad I found this form (thanks ebbixx). It wasn't easy to find though, I was going in circles in the help pages for a while, till after a search on the forums I decided to just post it there.

Anyway, hope I can get my account back. No idea what the hijacker wants with it anyway, if I had the slightest idea youtube accounts were interesting to hackers I'd have been more careful with it.
XanaduWolf
Level 1
3/4/10
When is the password going to be sent, how long did it take each of you? Heh, I'm a little impatient sorry. But I really want my account back. LOOK. Here is my hacker:

http://www.youtube.com/user/fatfroom1195

My account is XanaduNintendo156. Look under "About Me" in this guy's page, and look how many accounts he has hacked. He deserves a suspension from YouTube for luring people into his fake URL hacks. Please HELP!
2 of 3 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
kingcutie1972
Level 1
3/5/10
You have to use the support@youtube.com email.  Respond to the e-mail sent to you.  If your account was hijacked, you have to have Google / YouTube reset it from the inside, as the hacker changed the e-mail address your account is associated with.
anmoose
Top Contributor
3/5/10
@kingcutie1972, perhaps you could benefit from reading the original announcement by Liz at the very beginning of this thread. You appear to have missed the point of it completely.
XanaduWolf
Level 1
3/5/10
Alrighty, I sent the Email. Thanks.

thebawss69
Level 1
3/9/10
My YouTube account "urapony" has been hacked. I sent in a recover form for my compromised account a few days ago and am still waiting. I need it back before they do anymore damage. Please, hurry. Thanks
vilathapuram
Level 1
3/9/10
vilathapuram
ebbixx
Top Contributor
3/9/10
Please use the form, aside from possibly reporting identified phishing accounts, nothing will happen to reports made here.  You need to use the form that Liz referred to in the original post. 

If you run into problems with that form not working, be sure to report those, but all personal abuse issues should be reported in private through the forms provided, if at all possible.  You'll find most of those forms somewhere in http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/request.py?contact_type=abuse

For compromised accounts, the link to the form appears near the bottom of this page:

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=175276

Reporting personal abuse and safety issues here usually results in at best, nothing, and at worst a troll fest. 

YouTube assumes everyone posting here is at least 13 and able to take responsibility for their actions, whether or not that's actually true.
butlincat
Level 3
3/9/10
TO LIZ = youtube support - hi=i cannot put into words my disappointment at the conspiracy off collusion and underhandedness rife within youtube/google - it borders on, if not actually is, criminal, as spoken of by my solicitors when trying to resolve certain matters. My a/c was deleted on 7 Jan this year - no reason given at all even tho i asked various depts many times. Now, one of my main issues amongst others, is my viewing figures. For example, this video of mine here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwE_TJn0rNU shows 9 views {or thereabouts} as of 9-3-10, yet i know of at least 19 people who have viewed it, as i am in a group and all watched it seperatly as part of a project. ALL my viewing figures are extremly low and completly incorrect and inaccurate, and which completly differ from my previous a/cs figures of the same videos, and i put this down to interference by google employees with abhorrent behaviour directed personally at me. One figure i can name is a character by the name of landtat. a level 4 youtube personnel, who along with others has made sure my a/c is kept as unpopular as can be. He even initiated as much in a conversation in the youtube help forums, details on request. I just wish this discrimination would stop, or i could take legal action, which i can assure you i have tried as far back as 2 years ago, when i got nowhere after reporting death threats to my person, to which google/youtube showed acute indifference.Such is the way things are = particularly sad and completly unacceptable....butlincat
0 of 5 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
butlincat
Level 3
3/9/10
i am loathe to give my present a/c name as recriminations arent worth it, even tho landtat knows what my name now is, and even told me that he now knew my name, which opened the door for the abuse against me i spoke of in my previous message here, after i foolishly revealed it.....b.
0 of 4 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
ebbixx
Top Contributor
3/9/10
Landtat is not an employee.  The only employee who posts here, with a few well-marked, rare exceptions, is Liz.

You're right to be extremely cautious about revealing personal information though, since anyone in the world with access to a computer and a connection can read this forum and/or comment on or stalk any user they choose to, often at low risk of being exposed or prosecuted.  Because it's based in the US, YouTube and Google have very limited interest in or ability to censor users without also escalating their own legal risks.

There are many risks you expose yourself to by sharing videos with the general public.  It would be wise to keep that in mind.
ebbixx
Top Contributor
3/9/10
@ butlincat -- on the viewcounts you might want to rethink how you're using tags and also the lack of detail in your descriptions.  I doubt, given the tags you're using, that you're getting many search matches at all when your most common tag for the video you mentioned is "NIGHTWATCH"
expotemkin
Level 2
3/10/10
I filled out that form a few weeks ago and haven't gotten any feed back even notifying me that they're working on the situation..
anmoose
Top Contributor
3/10/10
This form only went live two weeks ago, at the time Liz announced the link for it above. If you filled out something before then, it wasn't the same form. Also, YouTube is not known for providing feedback. If you're lucky, you get an automated acknowledgement that they received it.
butlincat
Level 3
3/10/10
it not youtube/googles business policy to notify somebody whos a/c is deleted? i wrote 12 times to youtube etc when my a/c was deleted on 7 jan this year,yet received no reply. I notice ive received no reply from "liz" either, tho i do not expect one from anybody connected to youtube. I report on the illuminatis crimes, and i also report on the actions of paedophiles within the governments, etc. I know my life is at risk as are many of my friends who have been attacked not only physically, but by being given cancer, as in the case with somebody called the "anonymous physicist", who they want to shut up very much. Many others have already been killed because of what they have exposed/revealed, so i am very well aware of these maniacs.For example since i found out about the Hollie Greig sexual abuse case on a Downs Syndrome girl i have sent hundreds of emails asking for help to over 60 lords in our house of lords, tv cos, major newspapers and hundreds of other "notables" and recerived but 2 replies, such is the scale of the cover-up.Needless to say the paedophile ring contains top policemen, a High Sheriff in Scotland, social workers, nurses, top lawyers etc. Pls google HOLLIE GREIG if you think im fantasising or mad. And see David I ckes vids on the gross paedophiles within Scottish parliament, and the UK parliament too.Of course i realise by writing to lords in the parliament im writing to certain paedophiles in some cases, but with this case growing daily the media blackout will soon be overcome by the sheer weight of numbers of concerned citizens who are sick of the people we put in power committing these crimes on children.,and i fully expect any a/c i have anywhere to be closed at anytime,as has already happened,or i expect to be attacked either verbally,physically,spiritually or any other method they choose......b.
1 of 6 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
ebbixx
Top Contributor
3/10/10
I also noticed in a few of your videos I looked at that you seem to be using copyrighted music.  If you're not paying attention to copyright claims for your channel (and it must be quite a task with so many videos in one channel) that could also be the cause.  Not that anyone can tell you for sure.  However, with so much material, it must attract a lot of negative attention that could include privacy complaints and many other forms of complaint, which could range from well-intentioned to deceptive to plain malicious.

YouTube is unlikely to comment, the same as they are unlikely to comment on any other policy or admin decisions they make.  And the rest of us will only  be speculating.  I know I don't have the time to watch all of your videos unless you're willing to pay me a good wage rate in advance.
butlincat
Level 3
3/12/10
the only reason i started doing music videos when i started in dec 2008  is because i saw literally hundreds of vids with music in, so now im told they must all be wrongfully made under copyright laws....and for example. my vids of skid row, the 60s group, i have full permission from the singer whom i know personally and is a friend, yet youtube have restricted its spread even tho ive informed them of the situation that i have full permission - most other music is from bootlegs therefore nothing to do with any record company, and ive not received 1 complaint from any of the performers, except WMG when i did the travelling wilburys    vids when youtube removed 1 out of 8 because of copyright.
 How come theres thousands of other vids elsewhere by others that are allowed to stay if theyre breaking copyright? And what is a level 4 youtube personnel as landtat is who more or less told me he was going to attack me and make life difficult for me?
As for the tags u mention, you cite perhaps the only one that fits ur criteria of being inadequate, according to you. 99% of other tags are totally descriptive of whats needed. And what of my figures that are constantly low even when i know 19 people have watched a vid and ive been with them whence that occurred and only 8 views were and still are registered on the vid in question? But tks for ur time anyway...b.
0 of 1 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
ebbixx
Top Contributor
3/12/10
Copyright is complicated, and it's only become moreso since YouTube came along. 

Bootlegs themselves, for instance, are technically illegal in many cases, but on the other hand, they're probably some of the least likely recordings to get nailed for infringement unless someone who objects comes across them manually, since those who made them have no legal grounds to complain about infringement on an infringing recording, and those who do have grounds have a lot of hurdles to clear to confirm beyond a doubt that the recordings are infringing too. 

Think about how many videos there are on YouTube, and add to that the fact that the Content ID system was added at least a year or two after YouTube started accepting uploads...  Where would anyone find the time to go looking and checking for audio that may or may not have been used with the proper permissions?  Since most of the policing is largely automated, there's lots of room for missing things and also for identify things wrongly.

It's inevitably a big mess, and I wasn't mentioning that to find fault with you.  Just as one example of the risks you (and practically everyone else) faces.

There's a lot of honest confusion among creative, well-meaning people about what is and is not legal, and following the herd may have seemed like a reasonable approach, but unfortunately the law does not provide exceptions for those who don't understand the law, even when the law itself is tangled, complicated and often very confusing.

As for Landtat... he's not YouTube personnel, if by that you mean an employee of YouTube.  Any conflicts you may have with him are and probably should remain private and between the two of you.  If you think he or anyone else is taking some illegal action against you, you should probably consult a lawyer, or the proper legal authorities.  In most cases though, the simpler and cheaper choice is to block and ignore anyone you think is harassing or threatening to harass you.

I'm not sure I can get through to you on the tags issue.  Like you said, I only looked at one video and you may be using tags effectively elsewhere.  What I saw though, were two "compound" tags that I find it hard to imagine will ever be searched for by anyone.  But if you look at your insight statistic you may discover I was mistaken.

I would suggest looking at and using Insight statistics to see how people are finding your videos, and to think about ways to improve their visibility, if visibility is your main concern.

butlincat
Level 3
3/12/10
i can imagine its complicated, and as for this landtat character, if u look at my other discussions youll see his anti-social comments regarding me, and his veiled threats...i ceased communicating with him after as i couldnt bring myself to....and theres a particular vid made on him and his boyfriend gay chums from someone else hes obviously taken nasty liberties with too...simply put landtat in the search box and itwill arrive...b.
0 of 3 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
anmoose
Top Contributor
3/13/10
@butlincat, do you think you could take your off topic posts elsewhere?

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
2 of 4 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
butlincat
Level 3
3/13/10
Level 2
6:10 PM
Edit

anmoose, i find yoiu most offensive and downright rude. I am allowed to detail my case and just because you have the title "top contributor" that doesnt give you any right whatsoever to lay down any laws you think you can cos you feel the need to express some kind of authority. I wasnt taking to you anyway and i think youve taken a damn liberty. Seeing as i cannot contact anyvbody connected to youtube, which i find downright cowardly, i will have to give up on trying to gest some kind of justice out of this appalling sewt-up where noone will stand up and be counted fron youtube, which doesnt really surprise me.Excuse typos.I will not be returningm to see more derogoratory rubbish from you.
0 of 3 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
anmoose
Top Contributor
3/13/10
@butlincat, please do us all a favor. Read the title of this thread, and then read the original post by Liz, and the posts that followed. After doing so, please tell us all exactly what relationship, if any, your posts have with the topic. Many of us are failing to see that relationship.

>>I am allowed to detail my case...

The fact that you *can* does not mean that it's right, or that it's even "allowed." When you're interfering with a threaded discussion on a specific topic in an open public forum, you are A) "talking to" anyone and everyone who happens to read the discussion, including myself, and B) being both offensive and downright rude yourself. If you can't grasp that, then you need to back up and refresh yourself on the basics of netiquette, as well as the guidelines for this forum. They seem to have slipped your mind...
BLOOMIXANA
Level 1
3/13/10
I'm an aspiring musician and I have a channel on youtube. I forgot the password to said channel and clicked "forgot my password". So I followed the instructions and reset my google password, because according to the email "I signed in with a google account". But now I can't login to my youtube account because it's actually different from my google account. And yes, before anyone asks, I did try my google account. It doesn't work. So, here's my question, how do i get my password for my youtube account which is not the same apparently as my google account?
Stefanie Damm
Level 12
3/13/10
@BLOOMIXANA- looks like you have a password problem due to YouTube and Google account linkage, not a problem with someone hacking your account (which is what this thread is meant to be about).  Can I suggest that I answer you "on topic" over on this thread of yours:  http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=40e8972a7afd460d&hl=en ?
LaharlD2
Level 6
3/14/10
Well that sounds alright except "hacked" is more appropriate. "Hi-jacked" lol That's so noobish to call it that. I admire the noobish qualities though sometimes. 
1 of 3 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
thebawss69
Level 1
3/15/10
My account "urapony" was Hijacked about 2 weeks ago. It wasn't closed until 2 days ago, and I sent in a recovery form long before. This service is horrible and is really frustrating. Since YouTube hasn't been replying, my YouTube account has been closed.

I would really appreciate it getting back to me and re-opened.
1 2 | Next > Last

Sign in to answer this question.

Subscribe

Go to: