Sign in
Google - Google News

Help forum Feed Feed

Help forum > Google News > How to use Google News > Homepage Redesign experiment

Homepage Redesign experiment Report abuse

Inbal
Google Employee
2/5/10

At Google, we run anywhere from 50 to 200 experiments at any given time on our websites all over the world. Right now, we are running a small test of a new Google News homepage design. More information about how Google runs experiments can be found at:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/search-experiments-large-and-small.html

We'd love to hear your feedback. Please let us know what you think at:

http://www.google.com/support/news/bin/request.py?contact_type=report_news&source=redesign

Regards,

The Google News Team

Best answers

zamorarm
Level 1
2/5/10
Popular answer Go to this answer
I don't like the test version of the Google News homepage design. The main thing I dislike is the loss of the global page of "hot" stories for all categories (World, US, etc.). Under the old design, I could quickly review all of the "hot" stories. Under the test design, I have to tediously navigate to each category. There is no global overview capability.
45 of 45 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse

Replies 1 - 28 of 28

Chris Cox
Level 3
2/5/10
Please test ideas BEFORE you inflict them on the public at large.
Right now, news.google.com is useless to me -- someone changed the layout and I can only find useful information about one category at a time.
I just assumed it was a bug.
27 of 27 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
zamorarm
Level 1
2/5/10
Popular answer
I don't like the test version of the Google News homepage design. The main thing I dislike is the loss of the global page of "hot" stories for all categories (World, US, etc.). Under the old design, I could quickly review all of the "hot" stories. Under the test design, I have to tediously navigate to each category. There is no global overview capability.
45 of 45 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
rustybrick
Level 9
2/5/10
Anyone have a screen shot of the new layout?
1 of 5 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
Tiger Dave
Level 1
2/7/10
I have to agree with those who have expressed disapproval of the new format for Google News.  The old format which had the top headlines by category (U.S., World, Sports, Entertainment, etc.) was more useful.  I also liked the fact that in the old format you could customize the layout with the "Edit this Page" button.  Also, the new format does not include the new Fast Flip feature which I really enjoyed.
23 of 23 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
Chris Cox
Level 3
2/11/10
This "redesign" makes news.google.com useless: get rid of it ASAP.
I'd really like to be able to use the site again.
26 of 26 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
DLDragon
Level 1
2/11/10
Argggh!  This new layout is killing me.  Please ... someone at Google respond or give us a way to opt out of this experiment, because it is only affecting *some* of my computers, there has to be a way to opt out.

21 of 21 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
leec89
Level 1
2/13/10
What happened to the old format?  I do not like the new design.  It takes me twice as long to scroll through the news highlights and that's just for one category.  With the old design, I was quickly able to view the top news events per section - world, us, business, sports, etc..., quickly and efficiently.  And I liked the fast flip feature at the bottom - pretty cool.  Are you guys/gals running this experiment to see how long it takes to drive us nuts?  Well, it's working.  Or maybe you're trying to drive us away to bing or yahoo.  Please return to the old format.  Don't mess with a good thing.
21 of 21 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
omusicjak
Level 1
2/14/10
I can't stand the new Google News format. It is unorganized and amateur blog-like. I loved the old format. I relied on the old style to grab the news I wanted fast. This change will actually have a major impact on how I get my information and more importantly on how long it takes me to get that information. Why is there no option to stick with the old format?
20 of 20 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
thebrocklee
Level 1
2/16/10
I ABSOLUTELY HATE the new format! When I view the news I want a condensed view of stories on several different topics. I love how the OLD google news accomplished that. The new format seem like an attempt to copy facebook's news feed. Understand that people only care about what they're interested in, not necessarily what's most current.
18 of 18 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
Rumbledor
Level 1
2/16/10
/hate 

Loved the old layout, had begun to enjoy the Fast Flip. Please give us the original version as an option or just put it all back!
13 of 13 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
kakaufman
Level 1
2/17/10
I can stand the new layout and am pissed that it took so much digging to figure out that I was the subject of an "experiment." No surprises, please! Now how do I fix this???
17 of 17 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
BustHalf
Level 1
2/18/10
Google flunked this test. I cannot find the news I am looking for with this version. The page is dominated by "More News" that has little to no relevance to my preferences.

End this test and bring back the old (and superior) version soon.
19 of 19 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
Leeds
Level 1
2/20/10
This "redesign" is absolutely terrible.  Why the hell would I want to give up the ability to scan all categories at once?  I

Bring Back the "Edit This Page" tab and allow us to go back to what we each set up.  Why force us to HATE news.google.com?

Google People- 

FIX THIS.  NOW.

-Leeds

15 of 15 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
BudinOK
Level 1
2/21/10
Bring back the old format!!!! Please!!!!!
15 of 15 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
KylerK
Level 1
2/25/10
One more vote for the old format - the old 2-column layout was easy to use and quick to skim - the new format is tedious and difficult to use
Mr.TylerDurden
Level 2
3/3/10
Please restore the old google news format (along with the new fast flip feature) as this new format is useless to me.  In my opinion, the old format was far superior.
Please don't make such a drastic change without some notification in the future.
I am going to scour the web for a decent news site that I can use until the google news site is restored.

12 of 12 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
Fatist Bastard
Level 1
3/13/10
Google News.  Allow an opt-out feature to this experiment.  Any of us still using the news are merely awaiting the end of the "experiment", hoping for a return to the old google news format.

The experiment now seems to be a test of how long it takes a user to eventually conclude that google-news, as they once new it, is dead-for-good.  I request you forward these responses to Mr. Brin.  He left the East to get away from government oppression and arrogant bureaurocrats and I think he would "can" your group for your indifference to user unhappiness...

...UNLESS we in this test group have been singled out? 

Hey, any of you guys complaining here expressed any negative social views or political views in your posts...even on posts other than those associated directly with google (or even under different usernames??)?
9 of 9 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
trntlo
Level 1
3/14/10
Ah!!! This new site is atrocious, with the previous version one could easily and quickly view many sections of news at once and personalized sections. Now google forces you to view only one section at a time and makes it impossible to find the news that's relevant to you. For once in my life i am so disappointed with google, im going to try bing :(
give us the old news back google - or lose many of your faihful users
10 of 10 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
DCSys
Level 1
3/16/10
More disrespect for Google users that simply burns goodwill.  No opt in, no notification, no opt out (even temporarily), no choice about timing of participation, no explanation about what changed, no opportunity to compare old and new.  Make me figure it all out.  Just treat me like a guinea pig.  And yet you want my feedback.  Trust and loyalty down the drain.  That's the imperial Google.
9 of 9 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
Ipconfig
Level 1
3/18/10
What, are you nuts?? No offense, but the new homepage design is TERRIBLE!!! It's like pulling teeth trying to get my news. I used to have MUCH more control where I wanted my sections, what kind of news I wanted, I could even specify multiple numbers of stories in each section, and each story had its own related thumbnail image, that was great! But NOW, in one fell swoop you've taken all that away! Instead I get lots of news I don't even want, what's up with that? Gone are visual thumbnails of stories in my personalized sections, gone is the ability to put them where I want, gone is the ability to have the number of stories I want. I just don't get it.

Also, it doesn't thrill me to know that you thought so little of my time to throw this radically revised design at me without any advance warning, or without asking if I even WANTED to be part of your little test. Forgive me, but on top of a horrible beta homepage, it seems better forethought could have produced a much more receptive attitude as, frankly, I am annoyed at your lack of common courtesy, if not just common sense. C'mon, guys. Doesn't fit your image. Can you please take me out of your "test" group, so I can have my old personalized homepage back?
5 of 5 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
Skip1110
Level 1
3/18/10
All these posts and Google doesn't see fit to allow an opt-out on this crap? I came here to complain, only to find that I'm hardly the first. Unwanted changes have given Facebook a bad name. Be kind to your users. Don't use them for your experiments unless they WANT to take part in them. I'm amazed that Google has done this, and I'm more amazed that Google allows this to go on with complete disregard to its most loyal users.

WAKE UP, GOOGLE!!!!
3 of 3 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
djao
Level 1
3/20/10
Delete your google.com cookies in your web browser and reload the page. I was able to get the old news page back after I did that.
DL123
Level 1
3/26/10
I don't care for the redesign either.  It would be nice to opt-out of this particular experiment.
2 of 2 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
Sumogirl
Level 1
3/27/10
I use Internet Explorer 8 and was able to rid my computer of the rediculous "experiment" and restore orignal Google News by doing the following:

Open up Explorer and click on the following menus/buttons:

Tools > internet options > Browsing History Settings > view files > (you will be in a folder called "Temp"). go up a folder and delete the Temp folder - it would not let me delete it entirely but it did delete a lot of crap including the google stuff inside of it.  Afterwards, Google News was back to normal.  Or once you are in Temp, delete Google cookies and files by hand if you are afraid of deleting certain files in the Temp folder.

Good luck!

1 of 2 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
jeepea
Level 1
3/29/10
What a poorly thought out 'experiment'.  This new layout seems designed for people with ADD who fly from one shiny thing to another without any sense of continuity.  Bring back logical sections so that a person can concentrate on one subject at a time if they desire, and are able to filter out the 'fluff'.  Really an awful change.  If it stays this way, I'll find another news provider on the web.
2 of 2 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
J8
Level 1
5/8/10
Do NOT like the new format.  Luckily it does not show up on the MotoDroid.  I find that the left menu is distracting as your eye naturally goes to that space first.  I'm looking for clean searches, clean interface.  Don't fix what ain't broken. If you want to clutter up the screen, keep it on the right please.  (I remember when you added adds to the right side of the screen and I still find it distracting).   If this style continues, I'll be forced to look for some other minimalist and uncluttered browser. 
camore
Level 1
6/4/10
the new format sucks!  How do I set it back?    Do I need to switch to BING news?
1 of 1 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
cmedi001
Level 1
6/4/10
I really liked the old layout and started to really get used to the "fast flip" at the bottom because it was different and felt like flipoing through an actual news magazine, maybe you can at least bring that feature back and give the public the ability to use a "fast flip" for each category. Just sayen...
1 of 1 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse

Sign in to answer this question.

Subscribe

Go to:

Tell us how we're doing: Please answer a few questions about your experience to help us improve our Help Center.