Skip to NavigationAl Jazeera LabsHome › Careers
02 Feb 2010 - 20 Aug 2011
Note: This is to hire a person for a permanent post at Al Jazeera Head Quarters. Relocation to Doha, Qatar would be required.
The role involves the implementation of Al Jazeera Network's New Media strategy. In particular, the focus will be on the latest advances in web & mobile 2.0 mobile technologies and social platforms both in the context on getting news in (contribution) from Al Jazeera Reporters and the general public and also redistributing Al Jazeera content into various new social & developed platforms.
This role entails working closely with newsrooms and web teams to understand their requirements in the context of their current workflow and to present to them feasible solutions using the latest in internet and new media technology.
Leading projects from inception stage right through to completion and support. Continually investigating new services for Internet and New Media and assessing their viability in the light of budgets, resources etc. Also working to improving existing services that require evolution.
Working towards making our content available on as many online platforms as possible in a cost effective and strategic manner.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
* Responsible for developing (or assisting in the development of) online applications and widgets.
* Working on the next phases of the Al Jazeera websites and any other future website projects.
* Keeping abreast of latest trends in new media for relevant future projects.
* Maintain strict adherence to expressed expectations with regards to workflow and quality.
* Ability to work independently, as well as under the direction of team leaders within strict time constraints.
* Handles administrative responsibilities associated with projects including monthly reports and statistics gathering.
* Ability to maintain accurate records and consistently perform in a highly detailed environment.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Background knowledge in New Media field.
* Good understanding of Content Management Systems; Drupal implementation knowledge is a plus
* A solid understanding of information architecture and user centered design
* Open Source development background: Mainly PHP, but Ruby on Rails and Django would be an advantage.
* Must be technically competent and also acquire project/services related skills.
* Must have good writing skills for technical documents and be able to review Legal agreements for services.
* Strong communications skills both verbally and written.
* A high level of self-motivation, commitment and dedication.
* Organizational skills and self/time management skills.
* Good presentation and classroom training skills. This is important when educating staff about new services
* Fluency in English both verbal and written is a must. Arabic would be an advantage.
* Ability to work flexible schedule when needed.
* background knowledge on mapping & visualizing content.
* 2+ years experience in PHP on a medium-high load/volume website
* Strong experience in open source
* Experience with social networks APIs (i.e. Twitter, Facebook, Google Gdata, etc)
* Experience with iPhone development
* CSS/HTML experience
* Advantage: 2+ years experience Drupal (drupal.org) module and theme development.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
You may submit your CV to:
As the crisis continues in Gaza, Al Jazeera is doing its bit to put context around the conflict. We are able to bring the "Mapping the War on Gaza" service in collaboration with the folks at Ushahidi who have successfully used their platform to crowdsource information during recent crisis in Kenya and South Africa.