Peer Advisor Program
Easing first-years' transition to the College
Do you remember your first-year orientation? Going through registration for the first time? Feeling lost and confused when you first arrived on campus?
Making the transition from high school to college can be overwhelming. The Georgetown College Dean's Office believes that current students can be extremely helpful to new students during this transition period by sharing experiences, lending some insight, and responding to an array of questions and concerns. Therefore, we invite first-years, sophomores, and juniors to apply for the Georgetown College Peer Advisor Program.
To be eligible for the program, Peer Advisors must be in good academic and social standing, be studying on campus in the fall semester, be accessible over the summer by email and phone, and be able to attend mandatory peer advisor events beginning the Thursday before New Student Orientation up until the first day of classes.
Peer Advisor responsibilities include:
- Contacting advisees over the summer to introduce themselves and answer questions
- Assisting advisees with the preregistration process over the summer
- Working closely with the Dean's Office and faculty advisors during New Student Orientation
- Assisting advisees with preregistration results, schedule completion, and the add-drop period
- Maintaining good contact with advisees throughout the year
- Attending Peer Advisor events
First years, sophomores, and juniors are now invited to apply to the 2011-2012 Peer Advisor Program! Applications are available here
and are due by Friday, April 1, 2011 at 5:00 pm. If you have any questions about the Peer Advisor Program, please contact Mrs. Erin Force