NOVFEBAUG
05
201020112012
24 captures
30 Apr 2010 - 04 Feb 2019
About this capture
Africa News
afrol News
5 February 2011
 
  
 


See also:
» 03.12.2010 - Little US trust in Moroccan army
» 13.05.2010 - Western Sahara "not part of EFTA-Morocco free trade"
» 11.03.2010 - Niger ex-leader heading for Morocco?
» 11.02.2010 - Morocco-Polisario revive talks
» 29.01.2010 - Ease restrictions on Sahrawi - HRW
» 18.12.2009 - Sahara activist allowed back home
» 11.12.2009 - UN chief intevening in Saharawi activist cause
» 16.11.2009 - Lower levies on trade – federation official calls








Morocco | Western Sahara | World
Politics | Human rights | Society

Unblock foreign visits to Sahrawi activists, HRW
afrol News, 17 November - The international human rights body has accused Moroccan authorities of blocking "unauthorised" visits by foreigners to the homes of Sahrawi activists in Western Sahara.
Human Rights Watch said since 19 October, police have interrupted five visits by Spanish journalists and human rights lawyers, telling them that visits require prior clearance from the authorities.

The body said the recent practice, which has no apparent basis in Moroccan law, represents a new restriction on the rights of Sahrawis and of visitors to the region.

“Previously, plainclothed police generally did not interfere when foreigners entered the homes of known Sahrawi activists, although they often openly monitored such visits from a distance,” the rights organisation said.

Deputy Middle East and North Africa director at Human Rights Watch, Joe Stork said the restrictions by the Moroccan authorities are unacceptable, saying they infringe on the right of association and the right to privacy.

Restrictions on visits to the homes of Sahrawi activists coincide with a visibly tougher posture by the Moroccan authorities toward those who advocate self-determination for the contested Western Sahara.

Morocco has exercised de facto rule over the former Spanish colony since 1975 and considers it an integral part of Morocco. Other states have not formally recognised this claim.

The rights body said seven Sahrawis have been in detention since returning 8 October from a visit to the Sahrawi refugee camps in Algeria that are administered by the Polisario Front.

The Polisario is a pro-independence movement that contests Moroccan sovereignty and demands a referendum on self-determination for the people of Western Sahara.

Moroccan authorities accused the detainees of harming "external state security" and referred their cases to a military court, a rare and ominous development for civilian defendants.
By staff writer
© afrol News

- Create an e-mail alert for Morocco news
- Create an e-mail alert for Western Sahara news
- Create an e-mail alert for World news
- Create an e-mail alert for Politics news
- Create an e-mail alert for Human rights news
- Create an e-mail alert for Society news
   
E-mail this to a friend
   
Printable version
Related pages and feature
Current afrol News Top Stories

» Change of momentum in Egypt
» Tunisia govt improves rights situation
» Run-off vote to be held in Niger
» Bozizé re-election in CAR contested
» Live studio: Friday protest in Egypt
» "Algeria soon to lift state of emergency"
» Algeria prepares protests despite govt threats
» Mubarak regime strikes back
» Egyptians in rage after Mubarak speech
» Morocco next? Protesters start organising

about afrol News | news | countries | archive | services | feed back | español 
© afrol News. Reproducing or buying afrol News' articles.
   You can contact us at mail@afrol.com
FrontpageLatest NewsGet news alertsLoginCountriesCentral AfricaEast AfricaHorn of AfricaIndian OceanNorth AfricaSouthern AfricaWest AfricaAfrica / WorldTopicsAgriculture - NutritionCulture - ArtsEconomy - DevelopmentEnvironment - NatureGay - LesbianGender - WomenHealthHuman rightsLabourMediaPoliticsScience - EducationSocietyTechnologyTravel - LeisureSatireFrom BehindArchivesBy CountryBy TopicChronologicalCurrenciesThe CompanyPress ReleasesPartner MediaContact Us