John Carroll Weekend 2011
With more than 5,000 graduates and historical connections with Georgetown that date back to the 1850s (when the first student from California arrived on the Hilltop), San Francisco is far from a Hoya outpost on the West Coast. It’s a hub of an ever-expanding, global alumni community.
For four days in spring 2011, Georgetown will celebrate and explore the many ties and rich cultural and intellectual heritage that unite The City by the Bay with the campus by the river.
Sponsored by the Georgetown University Alumni Association, John Carroll Weekend will also showcase how Georgetown alumni have contributed to the many innovations for which the Bay Area is known, from information technology and social media to green architecture and the organic food movement.
Highlights of this weekend of social, cultural and intellectual enrichment include:
- Faculty-led walking tours of North Beach, home of the Beat Poets and the murals of Diego Rivera.
- Insider access to some of the hottest Silicon Valley start-ups.
- Hiking on the ecologically pristine Marin Headlands with expert guides on the region’s plants and wildlife.
- A visit to the San Francisco Farmers’ Market in the fabled Ferry Building with tips on the best organic food stalls.
- Private tours of the renowned Napa and Sonoma Valley wine country, including stops at vineyards owned and operated by Georgetown alumni.
- An awards ceremony recognizing the 2011 winners of the John Carroll and Patrick Healy awards.
Alumni from all schools and programs, parents, family members, friends, students and faculty are welcome to enjoy the weekend’s festivities, an experience of San Francisco that only Georgetown can provide. Special programs for young alumni and families with younger children make this John Carroll Weekend an event that’s fun for all ages. Plan a full four days of activities, a single day or just sign up for a program or two!
Until then, spread the word! Send an e-card
to share your enthusiasm for John Carroll Weekend in San Francisco and encourage your friends to attend.