MAYJUNJUL
1 capture
09 Jun 2011
About this capture
Sign in

Help forumFeed
Help forum > Google News > Google News Publishers - Sitemaps > 3 Digit Number In URL Requirement & Google News Sitemap - Confusing
3 Digit Number In URL Requirement & Google News Sitemap - Confusing
Report abuse
The_Big_K
Level 1
4/4/11
Hello,

We've been looking to get our site included in Google News Sitemaps as we're one of the popular source of engineering news. We are however bit confused about the technical requirement that says article URLs must have 3 Digit Number. We've following questions -

1.Should the number be 3 digits or it can be 4,5,6 digits as well?

2. We currently don't have 3 Digit Number in our URLs. Can we still get accepted in Google News (provided we've satisfied other criteria)?

3. FAQ suggests that the 3-Digit Number requirement has been waived in Google News Sitemaps. However, unless we're accepted in Google news, we can't process news sitemaps. How do we go ahead now?

4. Our news site is powered by WordPress. Does it make sense to change the URLs by updating the permalink structure now? (We've hundreds of news articles already, linked by other websites).

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks!
K
Best answers
Joost de Valk
Level 1
4/6/11
Best answer - Harvey P. (Google Employee) Go to this answer
Hi Big K,

I don't work for Google, but I think these are your answers:

1: it can be any number of digits, or, if you give Google a Google News sitemap, no digits at all.
2: yes, if you provide Google with a Google News Sitemap.
3: Submit your site anyway and say that you'll be using a Google New Sitemap.
4: I wouldn't change your URLs for this specifically, just make sure you generate a Google News Sitemap, there are several plugins to do that and I'm actually working on one to accompany my WordPress SEO plugin.

Cheers
Joost
1 of 1 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
Replies 1 - 2 of 2
Joost de Valk
Level 1
4/6/11
Best answer - Harvey P. (Google Employee)
Hi Big K,

I don't work for Google, but I think these are your answers:

1: it can be any number of digits, or, if you give Google a Google News sitemap, no digits at all.
2: yes, if you provide Google with a Google News Sitemap.
3: Submit your site anyway and say that you'll be using a Google New Sitemap.
4: I wouldn't change your URLs for this specifically, just make sure you generate a Google News Sitemap, there are several plugins to do that and I'm actually working on one to accompany my WordPress SEO plugin.

Cheers
Joost
1 of 1 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
The_Big_K
Level 1
4/11/11
@Joost: Very good to have your response. I already use your WordPress SEO plugin and find it totally awesome. Thank you for your responses. I've submitted the site and waiting for a response from Google.

When are you planning to release the plugin add-on?
Did you find this answer helpful? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
Sign in to answer this question.
Subscribe
Receive email alerts when new replies are posted
Subscribe to the feed for this discussion
Go to:
Google News - Help with other Google products - Getting Started guide
© 2011 Google - Privacy Policy - Terms of Service
Help articlesHelp forumPost a question