- The Meltzer Report
A document valuable not for its conclusions or the logic of its arguments, but for what its internal contradictions tell us about the dilemmas of international financial management.
- Debating Mark Weisbrot on the IMF
His criticisms of the IMF are inconsistent: "the IMF isn't generous enough, so it should be eliminated so that countries in trouble get no aid at all"; this is the old joke: "The food is terrible! And the portions are too small!"
- Why We Need--and Why There Won't Be--a New International Financial Architecture
As U.S. Representative Barney Frank remarked during the debate over boosting the IMF's resources, the end of the Cold War has robbed economic internationalists of 50 votes in the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Lawrence Summers's Reflections on Managing Global Integration
His speech to the Society of Government Economists.
East Asian Schizophrenia by the Economist
The Economist published a very... odd--schizophrenic--lead editorial on the East Asian financial crisis, both approving and condemning IMF rescue attempts. My reaction
- Stanley Fischer on the IMF and East Asia
The best summary of the case that the IMF knows what it is doing in East Asia that I have seen.
- Reply to Bhagwati;
Jagdish Bhagwati accused me of being a banner-waving enthusiast for international capital mobility in the May/June 1998 issue of Foreign Affairs.
- Why I'm Not Fond ofAlfonse D'Amato
(and why I'm even less fond of Clay Chandler). My experience in Washington being on the receiving end of leaks...
- Other Related Things I have written:
- J. Bradford DeLong, "1998," Neue Zuercher Zeitung.
- J. Bradford DeLong, "East Asia's Crisis and the Limits to Economics," Economic Sociology List Editorials, Fall 1998.
- J. Bradford DeLong (1998), "Helping Countries Prepare for International Capital Flows," USIA Economic Perspectives (August 5, 1998).
- J. Bradford DeLong, "Crash and Learn," The Washington Post, February 12, 1998.
- J. Bradford DeLong, "What's Wrong with Our Bloody Economies?", Los Angeles Times, January 28, 1998.
- J. Bradford DeLong, "Review of Walter LaFeber's The Clash: U.S.-Japanese Relations Throughout History (New York: W.W. Norton, 1997).
- Christopher L. DeLong, J. Bradford DeLong, and Sherman Robinson, "NAFTA More Important After the Peso Crisis", The Los Angeles Times (July 25, 1996). [NAFTA and the Peso Crisis]
- J. Bradford DeLong, Christopher L. DeLong, and Sherman Robinson, "In Defense of Mexico's Rescue", Foreign Affairs 75:3 (May/June 1996), pp. 8-14.