Sign in
Google - Google News

Help forum Feed Feed

Help forum > Google News > Quality of Google News Sites > Isn't this a violation of Google News?

Isn't this a violation of Google News? Report abuse

erku
Level 4
8/30/11
Question for quality control.

Hello Google News, Aren't sites required to have a physical address and a telephone number on their contact page? I think having a physical address and a telephone number on a contact us page is responsible journalism and responsible news reporting.

I found this site on Google news that has none of it.

http://bit.ly/c2wzye

Replies 1 - 3 of 3

Pop Writer
Level 1
8/30/11
The link you posted is the "Contact" not the "About" here's their about page.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/about/
1 of 1 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse
bobbygunn
Level 5
8/31/11
erku,
I agree that it is a suggestion to put all of your contact information in a site. I don't think it is a "requirement" though. I have helped numerous "newbies" this month and it runs about 50/50 with the actual address being anywhere on their site and phone numbers are even less. Just my observation there from the people I have communicated with here in the forums. If it was a requirement you would think that any site approved in the last month or so would have it.

I had big problems putting my physical address on my site for various reasons, one being we do get hate mail from time to time when we report some on certain stuff at my site. We got hate emails also before we were delisted of people bragging how they are taking us down. It is scary to think what some of these people would do if they were near me. i think a bigger problem is people using this forum without filling out an actual profile. If google made it so the "publishers" area was only for google news publishers there would be a lot less spam there. It would decrease the spam here also in the "quality" section. Years ago when we started in google news, this section had a lot of good discussions on quality. It still does but you have to wade through the people reporting, and I use that term loosely as it should be called bragging, about sites they think are spam. to me, there is no reason to report a site here in this forum. there is a submission form for that. You see some users here reporting the same site over and over again and in effect spamming the forum. Please don't think I am saying your post here is spam or inappropriate in any way. It is a valid question and deserves a valid answer.
LarryDarry
Level 2
9/5/11

That would be crazy to put up a physical address or phone number on a google news blog! I could understand if you have an actual building with tons of employees and your an actual corporation like LA times, but I remember a blogger had put his phone number and address  on his contact page and he was receiving hate messages and people crank calling his home. Crazy people who don't agree with editorial pieces could actually come to your home and physically do harm to you.

Sign in to answer this question.

Subscribe

Go to: