Search Parent24 for...
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Log in

Notification

Icon
Error

HELP - 9 Month old baby wakes every two hours - HELP
scott
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:24:16 AM(UTC)

Groups:

I am really hoping someone can give me some advice.
My little baby is just over 9 months old, he was 1 month prem so he really should be 8 months, not sure if this makes much difference.

Right, during the day he sleeps twice, for about and hour, depending on the day. Sometimes he will have 3 sleeps but again, its day dependant.
We put him down at 7, after a bath and feed, he only drinks about 150mls and then falls asleep. He then wakes up in an hour and guzzels down another bottle. This goes on every two hours, some nights he is drinking upto 3 250ml bottles.
He eats 3 meals a day with a snack(yogurt) during the day twice between meals. He however does not drink during the day, we have tried water, formula, baby tea, juice and he just is not interested in drinking during the day. He will have a sip or two but nothing substantual. Then at night he is obviosuly thirsty so I assume this is why he is drinking so many bottles. We have tried water aswell at night but he does not drink the same volume as he does with his formula.

He is also teething and some nights we give him baby nurofen or pando. We also give him tee gel and some teething tabs - but still is up every two hours.

Is this normal, what can I do to change this habit - my wife and I are desperate for a good nights sleep as I am sure he is....

HELP HELP HELP

Thanks
Scott
Helen_77
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:03:15 PM(UTC)

Groups:

I haven't had a problem like this, but perhaps I can give you some ideas.
Bathe the little one in Johnsons bedtime bath soap, the purple one, available anywhere really. Everything lavendar smelling.
Perhaps his clothing or bedding is irritating the little one, waking him up and then you put him back to sleep with a bottle? Remove all labels on clothing and bedding and make sure they are soft.
Try not to put him back to sleep with a bottle, this is habit-forming. Try just soothing him back to sleep, if you can or try a dummy rather than a bottle
Does he have colic? I always added some Telament drops to the bedtime feed.
I have a radio on in the room, adding some background, soothing noise.
I don't know what to suggest about drinking during the day, it seems you have tried everything already. Don't give up trying though, perhaps get him a nice sippy cup with his favourite cartoon character or something special to make it just his. Make drinking during the day interesting.
Good luck

Ridah Booley
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:39:58 AM(UTC)

Groups:

Previous poster is correct.

get the external factors covered before moving onto the primary (its a bit technical and methodical, but could help tons)

External :
Clothing. Is it washed with baby detergent then given an extra rinse? (do this to check and see, could be irritation to that).
Dress the clothing inside out. Thus the seams etc cannot be an irritant.
Do the same for bedding.
Ensure sleeping area is clean and dust free.
Foods, add the telement *spelling drops to the formula
Keep away from soy or *wind inducing foods
Noise, get a soft repetitive sound going.

Primary :
Wash baby in hypoallergenic solution or just a VERY mild water rinse *babies are not dirty btw.
If crying and lifting legs, check for winds.
Teething, once applied all solutions, keep track if baby sleeps after that. Some mild panado to regulate fever, if teethin causes it.
Check swollen glands on neck n ear area
Get a baby saline solution, if allergies, this would help a wee bit in keeping mucous lining just right.

This is a process of elimination, So keep mental notes, as this will narrow down any possible problems. Right now, its a process of elimination and finding what is making baby the way he is.

The feeding, if not much drink during the day, then the evening bottles would be understandable. Im not sure how much a 9month old should be drinking in a normal day, but just ensure its sufficient fluids as per weight/age.

Wish you all the best and hope it gets better.
Chantel
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:32:35 PM(UTC)

Groups:

HI Scott...I experienced the exact same situation with my daughter, from four months...I tried absolutely everything- even sleep training for a while. I took her to a sleep therapist and she told me she was hungry and we gave her more iron and protein during the day and this did help...but she also does not sleep when she teethes and did get better as she got older. The best advice I received from my paed is that you get two types of children- those who sleep and eat and those who don't...my daughter was a poor sleeper and still a poor eater....and I just accepted that it will get better and it did. Hang in there...it will get better and try what others have suggested.....
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply