We believe that the private sector has a valuable role to play in international development and the development of emerging economies.
The BBC World Service Trust is an independent charity funded by external grants and voluntary contributions. We only receive a small amount of core support for our activities from the BBC (both in kind and cash).
The BBC World Service Trust welcomes engagement with companies who share our concerns:
We are particularly interested in working with companies operating in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Central Europe and the Former Soviet Union.
In any given year we engage and interact with more than 100 million people - in their local languages - in over 40 countries. We do this by creating innovative mass media campaigns - on television, radio, online, mobiles and village outreach - to reduce poverty, promote human rights and help others to build better lives.
We seek to work with companies in a number of ways:
Together we can use media and communications to:
- Provide vital information to the victims of natural disasters or conflict.
- Save lives and reduce human suffering by raising awareness and changing behaviour and attitudes towards critical health issues, including HIV and AIDS
- Support economic development by empowering individuals with information about market prices and business skills
- Help citizens hold their governments to account by enabling public scrutiny, dialogue and debate
- Empower women and girls to play an active role in society
- Educate children and adults who have been denied an education
- Help develop an independent, un-biased media that is free from government control
- Engage in dialogue at a national and international policy level through government relations and UN agencies
- Leverage your existing activities' in emerging and developing countries through media
- Offer your employees volunteering and secondment opportunities that develop and share expertise
For general corporate enquiries, please email Awo Ablo, Director of Business development at: email@example.com