THOMSON REUTERS NEWS & INSIGHT ONLINE PRIVACY STATEMENT
Your privacy is important to West, a Thomson Reuters business, and we go to great lengths to protect it. This Privacy Statement applies to the online collection of personal information via websites and mobile applications operated by West, a Thomson Reuters business, and its worldwide affiliated companies and subsidiaries. This Statement does not apply to information collected in any other way, including offline.
Our website may contain links to sites maintained by others. This Privacy Statement does not reflect the privacy practices of those sites.
What personal information is collected and how is that information used?
- We collect information about our users in three ways: directly from the user (for example, when ordering a product, registering an account, or signing up for a newsletter), from our web server logs, and through cookies.
- We use the information primarily to provide you with a personalized Internet or mobile application experience that delivers the information, resources, and services that are most relevant and helpful to you.
- We do not share with others any of the information you provide, unless we say so in this Privacy Statement, or when we believe in good faith that the law requires it.
How is my personal information protected?
- We have implemented certain appropriate security measures to help protect your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure.
- We store the information about you in a data center with restricted access and appropriate monitoring.
- We use intrusion detection and virus protection software.
- Despite these measures, we cannot guarantee that unauthorized persons will always be unable to defeat our security measures.
Who has access to the personal information?
- We will not sell, rent, or lease mailing lists or other customer data to others, and we will not make your personal information available to any unaffiliated parties, except our approved agents and contractors, or as otherwise described in this Privacy Statement.
- We rely on some of our affiliates for support of the products and services we offer, and we share some of our back-office functions with other Thomson Reuters companies; our affiliates are all required to preserve the confidentiality of any personal information they may access.
How may I correct, amend, or delete my personal information, or update my preferences?
- You may cancel your registration or update your preferences at any time.
- If you do not want to receive information about our products or services, please update your account preferences (where available), check the appropriate box when registering and/or utilize the "unsubscribe" mechanism within the communications that you receive from us.
- If you have any additional questions or concerns related to this statement and/or our practices, email us at email@example.com.
FULL PRIVACY STATEMENT
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DOES WEST COLLECT AND HOW DO WE USE IT?
We collect information about our users in three ways: directly from the user, from our web server logs, and through cookies. We use the information primarily to provide you with a personalized Internet experience that delivers the information, resources, and services that are most relevant and helpful to you. We don't share any of the information you provide with others, unless we say so in this Privacy Statement, or when we believe in good faith that the law requires it.
When you register for our services or order products via our site, we ask you to provide some personal information, for example, your name, address, phone number, email address, payment card information, and/or certain additional categories of information resulting from use of our websites and services, such as research requests. We keep this information in a contact database for future reference, as needed. We may use certain information you provide to offer you products and services that we believe may be of interest to you. If you don't wish to receive such offers, you may opt out (unsubscribe) as described below.
If you contact us for customer support, we may ask you to provide information about your computer or about the issues you are trying to resolve. This information is necessary to help us answer your questions. We may record your requests and our responses for quality control purposes.Some West websites make chat rooms, forums, message boards, or news groups available to you. Please remember that any information disclosed in these areas is public. You should exercise caution when disclosing personal information in these areas. Don't disclose information in these public forums that might be considered confidential.Additionally, West offers legal professionals the ability to provide personal information for inclusion in the West Legal Directory (WLD). If you submit your information, know that:
- It must be accurate, complete, and current. It will be distributed to third parties in multiple formats (including online), and you will not be compensated by West in any way for its use.
- West has no control over how third parties use your profile information; these third parties may contact you for any purpose, including marketing.
Web server logs
When you visit our website, we may track information about your visit and store that information in web server logs, which are records of the activities on our sites. Our servers automatically capture and save the information electronically. Examples of the information we may collect include:
- Your unique Internet protocol address
- The name of your unique Internet service provider
- The city, state, and country from which you access our website
- The kind of browser or computer you use
- The number of links you click within the site
- The date and time of your visit
- The web page from which you arrived to our site
- The pages you viewed on the site
- Certain searches/queries that you conducted via our website(s)
The information we collect in web server logs helps us administer the site, analyze its usage, protect the website and its content from inappropriate use, and improve the user's experience.
Third Party Services
HOW DOES WEST PROTECT THE PERSONAL INFORMATION THAT IT COLLECTS?
We have implemented certain appropriate security measures to help protect your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. For example, some of our websites are protected with Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology. Also, we store the information about you in a data center with restricted access and appropriate monitoring, and we use a variety of technical security measures to secure your data. In addition, we use intrusion detection and virus protection software. However, please note that we cannot guarantee that unauthorized persons will always be unable to defeat our security measures.Also, please note that we may store and process your personal information in systems located outside of your home country. However, regardless of where storage and processing may occur, we take appropriate steps to ensure that your information is protected, consistent with the principles set forth under this statement.Back to Top
WHO HAS ACCESS TO THE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We will not sell, rent, or lease mailing lists or other customer data to others, and we will not make your personal information available to any unaffiliated parties, except as follows:
- To agents and/or contractors who may use it on our behalf or in connection with their relationship with us (for example, we may use third parties to help us with promotional campaigns).
- As required by law, in a matter of public safety or policy, as needed in connection with the transfer of our business assets (for example, if we are acquired by another company or if we are liquidated during bankruptcy proceedings), or if we believe in good faith that sharing the data is necessary to protect our rights or property.
HOW MAY I CORRECT, AMEND, OR DELETE MY PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR UPDATE MY PREFERENCES?
You may cancel your registration or update your preferences at any time. If you don't want to receive information about our products or services, please update your account preferences (where available), check the appropriate box when registering, and/or utilize the "unsubscribe" mechanism within the communications that you receive from us.
PRIVACY STATEMENT CHANGES
If our information practices change in a significant way, we will post the policy changes here. This Privacy Statement was last updated on 5-1-2011.Back to Top
© 2012 THOMSON REUTERS