Select your location to see local contacts and relevant information for your market
- for service administration purposes, which means that BBCW may contact you for reasons related to the service you have signed up for, as set out in section 5: When will BBCW contact me? below (e.g. to provide you with password reminders or to notify you that a particular service has been suspended for maintenance);
- to notify you of changes to our service;
- to contact you about a submission you have made to our websites or other publications, including any content you provide (follow the link to our Code of Conduct at the bottom of the main pages of our websites for more details about making online submissions);
- to personalise or improve the way BBCW content and advertising is presented to you online:
- BBCW may collect your IP address (an IP address is a number that can uniquely identify a specific computer or other network device on the internet) and place cookies (see our Cookies Policy) for the purpose of improving our sites and enhancing your user experience, sometimes including the display of selected ads which are appropriate to your browsing pattern. This information is not used to develop a personal profile of you;
- IP addresses may also be used to identify the location of users, the number of visits from different countries and also to block disruptive use;
- to analyse and improve the services offered by a BBCW website, e.g. to provide you with the most user-friendly navigation experience;
- to manage our competitions and contact the winners;
- to meet product orders or requests for services or information; to process payments; and to keep our records up to date;
- where you have specifically consented to be contacted for these purposes, to send you direct marketing by telephone, post or email about special offers and current or new products that you may be interested in;
- to enable other people or businesses to carry out work on our behalf; and
- where you have given us your permission, to pass your information to carefully selected organisations to allow them to tell you about their special offers or products and services that may be of interest to you.
- Where BBCW proposes using your personal information for any other uses we will ensure that we notify you first. You will also be given the opportunity to withhold or withdraw your consent for your use other than as listed above.
4. WILL BBCW SHARE MY PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH ANYONE ELSE?
Generally, we will only use your information within the BBC Worldwide Group of companies (including BBC Worldwide Group companies which are situated outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"), such as Lonely Planet, which is based in Australia) in order to provide the service/product you have requested. We will not pass your information to other members of the BBC Worldwide Group for marketing purposes unless you have consented to this.
We will only disclose your data to third party data processors with your consent or where we need to do so in order to provide a service. The data processors to whom we may pass your data will be BBC Worldwide Group companies and appropriately contracted third parties. Otherwise, we will keep your information confidential except where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies) or as described in section 7: Offensive or inappropriate content on BBCW's websites below.
BBCW will require all third party data processors to whom your information is disclosed to comply strictly with its instructions and BBCW will require that they do not use your personal information for their own business purposes.
Where we share your information with BBC Worldwide Group and third party companies which are situated outside the EEA we will ensure they treat your information with the same protection we do.
5. WHEN WILL BBCW CONTACT ME?
BBCW may contact you:
- in relation to the functioning of any service you have signed up for in order to ensure that BBCW can deliver the services to you;
- in relation to any contribution you have made to any BBCW website, message board or other service
- where you have opted to receive newsletters or other correspondence;
- to invite you to participate in surveys about BBCW services (participation is always voluntary);
- to carry out obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and BBCW; and
- for marketing purposes where you have specifically agreed to this (see section 6: Will I be contacted for marketing purposes? below).
© 1996 British Broadcasting Corporation