20 Oct 2008 - 16 Jan 2022
A Community of Independent Local Bookstores
What is IndieBound?A product of ongoing collaborations between the independent bookstore members of the American Booksellers Association, IndieBound is all about independent bookstores and the power of “local first” shopping. Locally owned independent businesses pump money back into the their communities by way of taxes, payrolls and purchases. That means more money for sound schools, green parks, strong police and fire departments, and smooth roads, all in your neighborhood. Independent bookstores have always occupied a special place in communities. Through IndieBound—and the Indie Next List
flyers and Indie Bestseller Lists
—readers find trusted bookseller curated reading options, newly discovered writers, and a real choice for buying.
IndieBound allows indie booksellers to communicate this vital role they play in their local economies and communities. It allows authors
to show their dedication to indies nationwide, easily done through linking to thousands of indie bookstores through IndieBound.org. And it allows consumers
to feel that their actions are a part of a larger picture—to know that their choices make a difference and that others are working toward the same goals.
Why support independents?
When you shop at an independently-owned business, your entire community benefits:
- Spend $100 at a local and $68 of that stays in your community. Spend the same $100 at a national chain, and your community only sees $43.
- Local businesses create higher-paying jobs for our neighbors.
- More of your taxes are reinvested in your community--where they belong.
- Buying local means less packaging, less transportation, and a smaller carbon footprint.
- Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money to beautify your community.
- Local retailers are your friends and neighbors—support them and they’ll support you.
- Local businesses donate to charities at more than twice the rate of national chains.
- More independents means more choice, more diversity, and a truly unique community.
What are the Indie Next List & Bestsellers?
The monthly Indie Next List, drawn from bookseller-recommended favorite handsells, epitomizes the heart and soul of passionate bookselling. The weekly Indie Bestseller Lists are most current snapshot of what’s selling in indie bookstores nationwide. View both lists online here at IndieBound.org, or check your local independent bookstore for printed versions.
Can I buy books on IndieBound.org?
There are two ways to purchase books through IndieBound.org: (1) The "Buy Now" button on every book page allows readers to purchase the book immediately, and the sale will support the entire network of independent bookstores. (2) By entering a zip code in the "Shop Local" box, readers will be able to choose from among the websites for a list of independent bookstores near them. They will then be transferred to the selected store's website to complete the purchase.
Through the IndieBound.org Affiliate Program, you can earn commissions by linking to specific books on IndieBound.org from your website. Find out more about linking to IndieBound.org here
What criteria does a store have to meet to be listed on IndieBound.org?All the stores that are listed on IndieBound.org are members of the American Booksellers Association.