OCTNOVDEC
15
201720182020
71 captures
15 Nov 2018 - 23 Jan 2021
About this capture
World
Europe
US
Americas
Asia
Australia
Middle East
Africa
Inequality
Cities
Global development
Jamal Khashoggi
Saudi crown prince shielded as death penalty sought over Khashoggi murder
Saudi prosecutor recommends death penalty for five suspects over killing of journalist in Istanbul consulate in October
Agence France-Presse in Riyadh
Thu 15 Nov 2018 06.49 EST
05.51 EST
Saudi Arabia’s top prosecutor is recommending the death penalty for five suspects charged with ordering and carrying out the killing of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi, in a move that appears designed to protect the country’s powerful crown prince Mohammed bin Salman.
A spokesman for Saudi Al-Mojeb told journalists in a rare press conference in Riyadh on Thursday that Khashoggi’s killers had set in motion plans for the killing on 29 September, three days before he was killed inside the kingdom’s consulate in Istanbul. Prince Mohammed was not implicated in the murder, he added.
The announcement follows growing international outcry over the killing of Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist and critic of the Saudi rulers who was last seen entering the consulate on 2 October to obtain paperwork for his marriage.
Khashoggi died after being drugged and then dismembered, a spokesman for the public prosecutor’s office said, in the first Saudi confirmation of how he was killed.
The deputy chief of Saudi Arabia’s intelligence, General Ahmed al-Assiri, gave the order to repatriate Khashoggi - and “the head of the negotiating team” that flew to the Istanbul consulate had ordered his murder, the spokesman said.
After repeated denials, Saudi Arabia finally admitted in mid-October that Khashoggi had been murdered at the compound, but blamed it on a “rogue” operation.
An official statement published by state news agency SPA said that a total of 21 individuals were in custody in connection with the killing, 11 of whom have been indicted with investigations to continue into the others.
On Wednesday Turkey called for an international investigation into the murder. Ankara has already shared voice recordings linked to the murder with a number of countries including Saudi Arabia, the United States and its Western allies.
Khashoggi’s killing has plunged the world’s top oil exporter into its worst diplomatic crisis since the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, in which most of the hijackers were identified as Saudi nationals.
After first insisting Khashoggi left the consulate unharmed, Saudi authorities said he was killed in an argument that degenerated into a brawl before finally accepting what Turkey had said virtually from the start - that he was killed in a premeditated hit.
Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has said the order to murder Khashoggi came from “the highest levels” of the Saudi government.
The global fallout over the murder has tainted the image of 33-year-old Prince Mohammed - the de facto ruler and heir apparent - despite persistent Saudi denials that he was involved.
Khashoggi’s murder has also led to increased scrutiny of Saudi Arabia’s role in the Yemen war, which has pushed the impoverished country to the brink of famine.
The journalist went into self-imposed exile in the United States in 2017 after falling out with Prince Mohammed.
Topics
Jamal Khashoggi
Saudi Arabia
Middle East and North Africa
Turkey
Journalist safety
news
Reuse this content
more on this story
'Appalling' Khashoggi audio shocked Saudi intelligence – Erdoğan
Turkish president keeps up pressure on Saudi crown prince, as pro-government paper publishes x-rays of hit team’s luggage
13 Nov 2018
Natural History Museum accused of accepting ‘blood money’ from Saudis
Museum received thousands of pounds to host Saudi embassy in wake of Khashoggi murder
13 Nov 2018
Trudeau says Canada has heard Turkish tape of Khashoggi murder
PM is first western leader to confirm Turkey has shared audio with other countries
12 Nov 2018
Crown Prince’s wings clipped as Khashoggi death rattles Riyadh
Fallout from killing has weakened Prince Mohammed and given second wind to old guard of elders
12 Nov 2018
Germany, France, UK, US and Saudi Arabia 'have Khashoggi tapes'
10 Nov 2018
Jamal Khashoggi’s sons appeal for father's body to be returned
5 Nov 2018
Jamal Khashoggi's body was 'dissolved', says Erdoğan adviser
2 Nov 2018
Jamal Khashoggi strangled as soon as he entered consulate, prosecutor confirms
31 Oct 2018
Most viewed
World
Europe
US
Americas
Asia
Australia
Middle East
Africa
Inequality
Cities
Global development
Support The Guardian
Contribute
Subscribe
Back to top
© 2018 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved.
 
switch to the US edition switch to the UK edition switch to the Australia edition switch to the International edition The Guardian - Back to home Contribute Subscribe Contribute Search jobs Sign in Public profile Account details Emails & marketing Membership Contributions Digital Pack Sign out Search News Opinion Sport Culture Lifestyle US news World news Environment Soccer US politics Business Tech Science The Guardian view Columnists Letters Opinion videos Cartoons Soccer NFL Tennis MLB MLS NBA NHL Film Books Music Art & design TV & radio Stage Classical Games Fashion Food Recipes Love & sex Home & garden Health & fitness Family Travel Money Make a contribution Subscribe switch to the UK edition switch to the Australia edition switch to the International edition Search jobs Digital Archive The Guardian app Video Podcasts Pictures Newsletters Inside the Guardian Guardian Weekly Crosswords Facebook Twitter Search jobs Digital Archive