This page is being considered for merging & redirection. The information is redundant and this is documented elsewhere.
Wikimedia Cloud Services
provides tools, services, and support for technical collaborators who want to contribute to Wikimedia software projects.
This page outlines the accounts you will need and basic first steps, which will allow you to contribute to this wiki and Wikimedia's technical spaces, including:
You will learn how to:
- Join an existing project or begin a new project.
- Add members or admins to projects.
- Create and configure instances within a project.
- Find help and ways to participate.
To access and contribute to Cloud Services projects and tools, you will need the following accounts. Please note, these are two distinct accounts:
- Wikimedia account - this account is used to contribute to Wikipedia and its sister projects.
When you create your Wikimedia account, you will create a username and password.
- Wikimedia developer account - this account is used to log into this wiki, Toolforge, Cloud VPS, Gerrit and other protected Wikimedia Services.
When you create your Wikimedia developer account, you will create a username (sometimes called LDAP username), UNIX shell username, and password.
Get started with Toolforge
- Create a Wikimedia developer account.
- Create an SSH key and add it to your Wikitech account.
- Submit a Toolforge project membership request and wait for its approval.
Your request will be reviewed, and you will receive confirmation within a week. You will be notified through your Wikitech user account.
- Once you are added as a Toolforge member, you must log out and then log in again at https://toolsadmin.wikimedia.org/
Doing this is required for your membership to take effect.
- Create a new tool or join an existing Tool account
- Access the Toolforge project and manage files in Toolforge.
Get started with Cloud VPS Projects
- Choose a project to join with OpenStack browser.
- Request membership by creating a Phabricator task and assigning it directly to the project administrator(s).
You can find the list of project admins by going to http://openstack-browser.toolforge.org/project/<project-name>.
Add members and admin users to a project
This information is outdated.
Project admins can use the following steps to add new members or grant administrative permissions to members.
- Go to Special:NovaProject.
- Use Add member link to add new members.
- Use Add member link for the projectadmin role in the Role column.
Log at #wikimedia-cloud connect
that you added/granted admin to the member.
Learn about project instances
It is best practice to log changes to all instances of your project.
Wikimedia Cloud Services provides a Server Admin Log
for users to log their project server administration actions on.
You can add a log entry in the #wikimedia-cloud connect
channel on Libera Chat
by sending a message like: !log <projectname> <message>
Gerrit is Wikimedia's code review system.
Communication and support
We communicate and provide support through several primary channels. Please reach out with questions and to join the conversation.
Communicate with us
Last edited on 21 May 2021, at 00:26
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.