Blinken vows ‘collective response’ for ship attack blamed on Iran
Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the United States is confident that Iran carried out the attack on the Israeli-linked oil tanker.
BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/POOL/AFP via Getty Images
Al-Monitor Staff
TOPICS COVERED
Iran-US tensions
August 2, 2021
The United States is “confident” that Iran is responsible for an attack on an Israeli-linked oil tanker that killed two crew members off the coast of Oman last week, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Monday. 
“I want to condemn again the attack on Friday against the commercial ship. … We’ve conducted a thorough review and we’re confident that Iran carried out this attack,” said Blinken during a State Department briefing. 
The United States and the United Kingdom have concluded that one or more Iranian drones were used to target the MV Mercer Street, a Japanese oil tanker managed by a UK-based company owned by Israeli billionaire Eyal Ofer. Officials said a British sailor and the ship's Romanian captain died in the attack near the Omani island of Masirah as the ship was traveling from Tanzania to the United Arab Emirates.
“Iran continues to act with tremendous irresponsibility,” Blinken said. “We are in very close contact, in coordination, with the United Kingdom, Israel, Romania and other countries. ... There will be a collective response."
On Sunday, British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab pledged a “concerted response to this unacceptable attack.” His Romanian counterpart, Foreign Minister Bogdan Aurescu, on Monday vowed an “appropriate response” in coordination with partners. 
The UK and Romania responded to the suspected Iranian attack by summoning their respective Iranian ambassadors Monday; the Iranian Foreign Ministry then summoned the British charge d'affaires in Tehran. 
Iran has denied involvement in the attack, with Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh describing the reports as “baseless.” 
Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett also blamed Iran for the attack on the Mercer Street and described the Iranian government’s denials as "cowardly." The incident is one of several maritime attacks blamed on Iran in recent months, including a March missile strike on an Israeli-owned cargo ship in the Arabian Sea. On July 3, a ship previously owned by Ofer’s Zodiac Maritime company was attacked in the northern Indian Ocean.
MORE FROM AL-MONITOR STAFF
Jordan to reopen border crossing with Syria
Al-Monitor Staff | News Brief | Sep 27, 2021
Two dead after fire at Iranian military facility
Al-Monitor Staff | News Brief | Sep 27, 2021
Abbas warns Palestinian Authority will no longer recognize Israel
Al-Monitor Staff | Palestine | Sep 26, 2021
Subscribe to Our Newsletters
Sign Me Up!
POPULAR ARTICLES
Did whales originate in Egyptian waters?
Muhammed Magdy | Culture | Aug 31, 2021
Is Moscow using the S-400 against Turkey?
Semih Idiz | Turkey | Sep 3, 2021
Iraqi Kurdish leader helps ease Turkey-UAE tensions
Amberin Zaman | Turkey | Aug 31, 2021
Boxed in: Bennett, Abbas can’t win despite ‘goodwill gestures’
Week in Review | Israel | Sep 3, 2021
What Erdogan missed in skipping Baghdad conference
Fehim Tastekin | Turkey | Sep 2, 2021
RECOMMENDED ARTICLES
Iran, IAEA spar over access to Karaj nuclear site
Al-Monitor Staff | Iran | Sep 27, 2021
Iran introduces own version of maximum pressure
Mark Fitzpatrick | Iran | Sep 27, 2021
Iran's foreign minister says nuclear talks to restart 'very soon'
Al-Monitor Staff | Iran | Sep 24, 2021
Iran says 'remarkable progress' made in Saudi Arabia talks
Al-Monitor Staff | Iran | Sep 23, 2021
RECENT PODCASTS
Vivian Salama previews the Biden administration’s Middle East priorities at the UN General Assembly
Dana Weiss: Bennett’s government here to stay 
Europe, West threatened by atmospheric Jihadism and the entrepreneurs of wrath, says Gilles Kepel
Michael Oren: Israel must build case legitimizing possible action against Iran 
Iraqis fear worse chaos amid waning US presence, says Bilal Wahab
NEWSLETTERS
Subscribe
© 2021 Al-Monitor, LLC. All rights reserved.