aljazeera.com
News
Deaths in Niger as protesters confront French army convoy
Nigerien government says two people killed and 18 wounded after the convoy, which is heading to Mali, ran into trouble in Tera.
The French military convoy is heading to Gao, a hub of France's Bakhane operation in the Sahel [File: Benoit Tessier/Reuters]
27 Nov 2021
Updated: 27 Nov 202108:50 PM (GMT)
A French military convoy heading to Mali has run into more trouble in a town in Niger after being delayed for more than a week by protests in Burkina Faso, with the Nigerien government reporting two deaths and 18 wounded.
The supply convoy, which arrived in Africa in Ivory Coast last week, had crossed Burkina Faso and on Friday entered Niger on its way to central Mali.
Its destination is a base at Gao, a hub of France’s Barkhane operation, which is shoring up allies in the Sahel region in the fight against armed groups that began in northern Mali nearly a decade ago.
But clashes reportedly broke out at Tera in western Niger on Saturday.
“The convoy of the French Barkhane force escorted by the national gendarmerie was blocked by very violent protesters in Tera in the Tillaberi region, where it had spent the night,” the interior ministry said in a statement.
“In its attempt to break free, it used force,” leading to “the deaths of two people and 18 wounded”, including 11 seriously.
The town mayor had earlier announced that three people had been killed, but later said he had been mistaken.
“No French soldier was wounded,” French army spokesman Pascal Ianni told AFP news agency. But “two civilian drivers in the convoy were hurt by stones and some civilian trucks were damaged”.
“The convoy halted last night at Tera. This morning, when they wanted to continue the road to Niamey, they were stopped by 1,000 demonstrators and a violent group among them tried to take over the trucks,” he said.
Nigerien gendarmes fired tear gas to disperse the protesters, he added.
Later, mid-morning, “tensions soared again” and the gendarmes and French soldiers “fired warning shots”, Ianni said before the more than 100-vehicle convoy was able to move off.
He denied “false information” posted on social networks that the French army had killed dozens of civilians at Tera.
After entering Burkina Faso last week, the convoy was slowed by protesters at Bobo-Dioulasso, the country’s second largest city, and then in Ouagadougou, the capital.
On November 19, several thousand demonstrators blocked the convoy at Kaya, about 100km (62 miles) north of Ouagadougou.
The following day, local sources said four people had suffered gunshot wounds in Kaya, in circumstances that remain unclear – French and Burkinabe soldiers fired warning shots and tear gas to disperse demonstrators.
Protest organisers said they wanted to expose flaws in Burkina Faso’s security accords with former colonial ruler France.
But rumours have also spread on social media – which were recounted by protesters in Kaya – claiming the convoy was, in fact, carrying weapons for rebel fighters.
Burkinabe Foreign Minister Alpha Barry dismissed the rumours on Wednesday and pointed to what he said was France’s long history of help at times of crisis.
On Friday, Niger President Mohamed Bazoum had expressed his “gratitude” to France and applauded its “sacrifices” in the Sahel.
SOURCE: AFP
RELATED
French army con­voy blocked by Burk­in­abe pro­test­ers reach­es Niger
Stop­ping of con­voy came amid ris­ing anger over fail­ure of lo­cal and in­ter­na­tion­al forces to con­tain es­ca­lat­ing vi­o­lence.
26 Nov 2021
How Deby’s death will af­fect the Sa­hel and be­yond
Chad’s neigh­bours and West­ern al­lies anx­ious about sta­bil­i­ty of na­tion cen­tral in fight against re­gion’s armed groups.
22 Apr 2021
From: Inside Story
Has France failed in the Sa­hel?
Paris is ac­cused of aban­don­ing Ba­mako in its fight against armed groups in the Sa­hel re­gion.
25:15
8 Oct 2021
MORE FROM NEWS
US rejects calls to immediately sanction Russia over Ukraine
Armenian president resigns over lack of influence
Is the bubble about to burst for Bitcoin?
Taiwan reports new large-scale Chinese air force incursion
MOST READ
Airbus cancels $6bn contract with Qatar Airways after paint fight
Omicron ‘sub-variant’ throws up new virus questions
Pfizer, Moderna boosters up to 90% effective against Omicron: CDC
The day the world went dark: Survivor recalls disaster in Tonga
Follow Al Jazeera English:
© 2022 Al Jazeera Media Network
You rely on Al Jazeera for truth and transparency
We understand that your online privacy is very important and consenting to our collection of some personal information takes great trust. We ask for this consent because it allows Al Jazeera to provide an experience that truly gives a voice to the voiceless. You have the option to decline the cookies we automatically place on your browser but allowing Al Jazeera and our trusted partners to use cookies or similar technologies helps us improve our content and offerings to you. You can change your privacy preferences at any time by selecting ‘Cookie preferences’ at the bottom of your screen.To learn more, please view our Cookie Policy.