aljazeera.com
News|Politics
Duterte’s chosen successor abandons Philippines presidential race
Senator Christopher Go, who had been given little chance of success, withdraws saying it is ‘not yet my time’.
Philippine Senator Christopher 'Bong' Go, right, entered his candidacy just two days before the deadline and few analysts expected him to do well despite Duterte's backing [File: Lisa Marie David/Reuters]
30 Nov 2021
Philippine Senator Christopher “Bong” Go, the preferred successor to incumbent President Rodrigo Duterte, has announced his withdrawal from the race to be the country’s next leader.
After days of speculation, Go said on Tuesday he was pulling out of the 2022 presidential campaign because it was “not yet my time”.
Go, a close aide to the president, entered the contest for the country’s highest office two days before the November 15 deadline, after previously registering for the vice presidential race.
His sudden exit narrows the field of candidates vying to replace Duterte, who is constitutionally barred from seeking a second six-year term. Duterte is running for the Senate instead with the country of 110 million also choosing governors, mayors and local officials in the May 2022 elections.
“My family doesn’t want it either so I thought maybe this is not yet my time,” Go told reporters, as he stressed his loyalty to Duterte.
Most analysts had given Go little chance of success in the election, although he was the most likely candidate to protect Duterte from criminal charges in the Philippines, and an International Criminal Court investigation into the so-called “drug war” that has left thousands dead.
“From the very start he has launched a lukewarm campaign and it’s very obvious that he was just thrust into that job by President Duterte,” said Jean Franco, a political science professor at the University of the Philippines.
It is not clear who 76-year-old Duterte will now support.
“I and President Duterte are ready to support whoever will truly serve and can continue and protect Duterte’s legacy towards a more comfortable and safe and prosperous life for our children,” Go said in a short speech streamed on Facebook.
The current front runner is the son and namesake of former leader Ferdinand Marcos, according to a recent survey by respected polling outfit Social Weather Stations.
He is followed by the incumbent vice president and Duterte critic, Leni Robredo, celebrity mayor Francisco Domagoso and boxing great Manny Pacquiao.
Duterte has been an ally of the controversial Marcos family, which had gone into exile in the United States after the patriarch’s downfall in 1986.
But recently Duterte has been publicly critical of Marcos Jr, describing him as a “weak leader … saddled with baggage”.
Sara Duterte, his daughter, had been widely expected to run for president.
But she has filed her candidacy for vice president, a position which holds very little power, and formed an alliance with Marcos Jr.
Go’s exit from the “tight election race” could strengthen the “political force” of Marcos Jr and Sara, said Franco.
But she doubted that Duterte would endorse Marcos Jr for his job.
SOURCE: AL JAZEERA AND NEWS AGENCIES
RELATED
Philip­pines Pres­i­dent Duterte to run for Sen­ate in 2022 vote
The move ends spec­u­la­tion that Duterte would run for vice pres­i­dent against his daugh­ter Sara Duterte-Car­pio.
15 Nov 2021
Duterte’s daugh­ter Sara to run for Philip­pines vice pres­i­den­cy
El­dest daugh­ter of Philip­pine Pres­i­dent Ro­dri­go Duterte files can­di­da­cy, end­ing spec­u­la­tion about her elec­tion plans.
13 Nov 2021
Ac­tivist re­calls 1971 Mani­la blast as Mar­cos Jr can­di­da­cy looms
Mar­cos-era ac­tivist longs to re­turn to Philip­pines af­ter decades in ex­ile but new po­lit­i­cal changes could spell trou­ble.
12 Nov 2021
Son of late Philip­pines dic­ta­tor Mar­cos to run for pres­i­dent
Fer­di­nand Mar­cos Jr served as gov­er­nor, con­gress­man and sen­a­tor, and lost his bid for vice pres­i­dent in 2016.
5 Oct 2021
MORE FROM NEWS
Ukraine says Russia recruiting mercenaries, sending arms to east
US Navy oil tanks dirty Hawaii’s water
AFCON: Low turnout, high interest and COVID checks
Oil industry board members summoned over climate ‘disinformation’
MOST READ
Russia, US voice hope for diplomacy over Ukraine
Baby among four found dead along US-Canada border
What next for Iran and Russia ties after Raisi-Putin meeting?
As costs mount, how long can China stick with ‘zero COVID’?
Follow Al Jazeera English:
© 2022 Al Jazeera Media Network
 
You rely on Al Jazeera for truth and transparency
We understand that your online privacy is very important and consenting to our collection of some personal information takes great trust. We ask for this consent because it allows Al Jazeera to provide an experience that truly gives a voice to the voiceless. You have the option to decline the cookies we automatically place on your browser but allowing Al Jazeera and our trusted partners to use cookies or similar technologies helps us improve our content and offerings to you. You can change your privacy preferences at any time by selecting ‘Cookie preferences’ at the bottom of your screen.To learn more, please view our Cookie Policy.