LIVE
News|Space
Plunging back to Earth: Chinese rocket makes re-entry
China says debris of Long March 5B landed in Indian Ocean and most of it burned up in the atmosphere.
Debris from the Long March-5B Y2 rocket, which launched on April 29, fell back to Earth [File: China Daily via Reuters]
9 May 2021
Updated: 9 May 202110:04 AM (GMT)
Remnants of China’s largest rocket launched last month plunged back through the atmosphere on Sunday, landing west of the Maldives in the Indian Ocean and ending days of speculation over where the debris would hit.
“After monitoring and analysis, at 10:24 [02:24 GMT] on May 9, 2021, the last-stage wreckage of the Long March 5B Yao-2 launch vehicle has reentered the atmosphere,” the China Manned Space Engineering Office said in a statement.
KEEP READING
China says ‘extremely low’ risk of damage from rocket debris
WHO approves emergency use of China’s Sinopharm COVID vaccine
China slams New Zealand parliament’s motion on Uighur abuses
China emissions greater than all developed nations combined
It added most of the components burned up in the re-entry.
US Space command confirmed the re-entry of the rocket over the Arabian Peninsula, but said it was unknown if the debris impacted land or water.
“The exact location of the impact and the span of debris – both of which are unknown at this time – will not be released by US Space Command,” it said on its website.
Monitoring service Space-Track, which uses US military data, also confirmed the re-entry.
“Everyone else following the #LongMarch5B re-entry can relax. The rocket is down,” it tweeted.
“We believe the rocket went down in the Indian Ocean, but are waiting on official data from @18SPCS,” it added in a separate tweet, referring to a squadron of the US Space Force.
China now reporting https://t.co/dHSJVoItCY that the rocket reentered at 0224 UTC at 72.47E 2.65N which is right over the Maldives. If correct will be interesting to see if we get reports from there pic.twitter.com/NQovz33pqg
— Jonathan McDowell (@planet4589) May 9, 2021
US and European authorities had been monitoring the rocket, which was travelling at a speed of 13.7km/second (4.8 miles/second).
A difference of just one minute in the time of re-entry translates to hundreds of kilometres difference on the ground and earlier predictions had the rocket landing in several possible locations from the Mediterranean Sea to the Pacific Ocean.
According to experts, with most of the Earth’s surface covered by water, the odds that it would land in a populated area were low, and the likelihood of injuries even lower.
But uncertainty over the rocket’s orbital decay and China’s failure to issue stronger reassurances in the run-up to the re-entry fuelled anxiety over its descent.
China’s foreign ministry said on Friday the re-entry was highly unlikely to cause any harm.
NASA criticism
The Long March 5B – comprising one core stage and four boosters – lifted off on April 29 from China’s Hainan Island with the unmanned Tianhe module, which contains what will become living quarters on a permanent Chinese space station.
The rocket is set to be followed by 10 more missions to complete the station.
Visitors walk through a model of China’s Tianhe space station at an exhibition on the development of China’s space exploration last month [Tingshu Wang/Reuters]
Most experts said the risk to people from the re-entry was low.
“Given the size of the object, there will necessarily be big pieces left over,” said Florent Delefie, an astronomer at the Paris-PSL Observatory.
“The chances of debris landing on an inhabited zone are tiny, probably one in a million.”
In May 2020, pieces from the first Long March 5B fell on Ivory Coast, damaging several buildings. No injuries were reported.
“Spacefaring nations must minimize the risks to people and property on Earth of re-entries of space objects and maximize transparency regarding those operations,” NASA Administrator Bill Nelson, a former senator and astronaut who was picked for the role in March, said in a statement after the re-entry.
“It is clear that China is failing to meet responsible standards regarding their space debris.”
Debris from Chinese rocket launches is not uncommon within China. In late April, authorities in the city of Shiyan, Hubei Province, issued a notice to people in the surrounding county to prepare for evacuation as parts were expected to land in the area.
The latest remnants of Long March 5B make up one of the largest pieces of space debris to return to Earth.
The core stage of the first Long March 5B that returned to Earth last year weighed nearly 20 tonnes, surpassed only by debris from the Columbia space shuttle in 2003, the Soviet Union’s Salyut 7 space station in 1991, and NASA’s Skylab in 1979.
SOURCE: NEWS AGENCIES
RELATED
China launches key module of space station planned for 2022
Tianhe module is one of three key parts of permanent space station China is building to rival the ISS.
29 Apr 2021
ISS astronauts splash down on SpaceX craft
It was the first US splashdown in darkness since Apollo 8’s crew returned from the moon in 1968.
2 May 2021
‘The Starship has landed’: SpaceX nails reusable craft touchdown
All four earlier attempts to land the rocket, designed for travel to the moon and Mars, ended in spectacular crashes.
6 May 2021
Crypto crackdown, Doge mania, space tourism and a big divorce
We gather the numbers to know from the week’s biggest economic news stories so you can impress your friends.
7 May 2021
MORE FROM NEWS
EU sanctions Belarus over flight incident, alleged rights abuses
Hungary’s Orban defends LGBTQ law as EU anger rises
US seizure of Iran-linked websites ‘shortsighted’, analysts say
Pentagon translator jailed for exposing US sources in Iraq
MOST READ
McAfee found dead in cell after Spanish court allows extradition
UK, Russia escalate war of words over Black Sea warship incident
‘Horrific’: Another discovery of Indigenous graves in Canada
The Indigenous woman who survived a desolate Arctic island
Advertisement
About
Connect
Our Channels
Our Network
Follow Al Jazeera English:
© 2021 Al Jazeera Media Network
You rely on Al Jazeera for truth and transparency
We understand that your online privacy is very important and consenting to our collection of some personal information takes great trust. We ask for this consent because it allows Al Jazeera to provide an experience that truly gives a voice to the voiceless.
You have the option to decline the cookies we automatically place on your browser but allowing Al Jazeera and our trusted partners to use cookies or similar technologies helps us improve our content and offerings to you. You can change your privacy preferences at any time by selecting ‘Cookie preferences’ at the bottom of your screen. To learn more, please view our Cookie Policy.
Dismiss
Cookie preferences