aljazeera.com
News|Infrastructure
Hundreds ordered to evacuate ‘unsafe’ Miami condo building
City officials ordered residents to leave the 8-storey structure weeks after 98 died in a nearby condo collapse.
Weeks after a deadly condo collapse in Surfside, Florida, a nearby condo building is evacuated [File: Miami Dade Fire Department/Handout via Reuters]
10 Aug 2021
Six weeks after 98 people died in the collapse of a condo building in Surfside, Florida, residents of an eight-storey condo in nearby Miami were ordered Monday to evacuate after the structure was deemed “unsafe” by city officials.
Residents of the 138-unit building lugged belongings to their vehicles, news outlets reported. They were ordered to be out by Tuesday morning.
“My grandfather just comes in the house screaming that we have to leave immediately,” said a resident identified by WSVN-TV as Mya Ncastanedo.
“If this building is demolished, there goes our property … and all our memories from growing up here.”
The building was put on notice July 7 for several violations, including failure to obtain its 40-year recertification as safe to occupy.
“We felt the building occupants were not safe,” Miami Building Director Asael “Ace” Marrero told the Miami Herald.
On July 26, city officials met with residents who were concerned about the condition of the building, the Herald reported.
City staff inspected the building the next day and determined that the detached elevated garage had to be closed because of structural concerns, according to the newspaper.
Officials also told the building’s property manager that the damaged columns in the main building’s first floor “required emergency shoring”.
The city ordered the building’s officials to submit a plan to fix the issue immediately, but never received any plans, officials said. The building also did not apply for any permits to make repairs.
On August 5, city officials received a letter from an engineer saying the “building was safe for current occupancy while the emergency repair work continued”, the Herald reported.
The next day, an inspector from Miami saw work being done without a permit, and a stop-work order was issued.
On Monday, officials from Miami’s building department met with the condo association and the engineer. They found the columns to be “structurally insufficient”.
That is when the evacuation order was issued.
Police patrol outside of Crestview Towers, which was evacuated July 3 after an audit found the building structurally and electrically unsafe [File: Lynne Sladky/AP Photo]
City officials told the Herald they are working with residents to find temporary housing.
Since the collapse of Champlain Towers South in Surfside on June 24, residents from several South Florida buildings have been emptied as officials are becoming more cautious about structural concerns and building safety.
Residents of the 10-storey Crestview Towers in North Miami Beach and the three-storey Regent Palace in Surfside were among those evacuated last month.
SOURCE: AL JAZEERA AND NEWS AGENCIES
RELATED
Last vic­tim of Flori­da Surf­side con­do col­lapse iden­ti­fied
Last vic­tim brings death toll at the par­tial build­ing col­lapse to 98.
26 Jul 2021
Search for bod­ies in Flori­da con­do col­lapse of­fi­cial­ly ends
Po­lice and foren­sic spe­cial­ists are still con­tin­u­ing the work of iden­ti­fy­ing hu­man re­mains re­cov­ered from the dis­as­ter.
23 Jul 2021
Flori­da con­do col­lapse: In­ves­ti­ga­tors fo­cus on struc­tur­al fail­ure
Ev­i­dence of struc­tur­al dam­age be­fore the col­lapse emerges as search-and-res­cue op­er­a­tions en­ter a sixth day.
29 Jun 2021
MORE FROM NEWS
South American health networks struggling as Omicron cases rise
At least 26 killed as earthquake hits western Afghanistan
UN: Taliban attempting to exclude women, girls from public life
US airline CEOs warn of looming ‘catastrophic’ crisis over 5G
MOST READ
UAE pledges to retaliate after three killed in Houthi attacks
‘Deltacron’: Should we worry about new COVID-19 variants merging?
Tonga’s volcano eruption and tsunami explained in maps and charts
What is behind the Houthi attacks in the UAE?
Follow Al Jazeera English:
© 2022 Al Jazeera Media Network
You rely on Al Jazeera for truth and transparency
We understand that your online privacy is very important and consenting to our collection of some personal information takes great trust. We ask for this consent because it allows Al Jazeera to provide an experience that truly gives a voice to the voiceless.
You have the option to decline the cookies we automatically place on your browser but allowing Al Jazeera and our trusted partners to use cookies or similar technologies helps us improve our content and offerings to you. You can change your privacy preferences at any time by selecting ‘Cookie preferences’ at the bottom of your screen. To learn more, please view our Cookie Policy.
Dismiss
Cookie preferences