Egypt presidential poll bans on candidates upheld
17 April 2012
Khairat al-Shater, left, Omar Suleiman, centre, and Hazem Abu Ismail all lost their appeals
Ten candidates who had applied to run in the Egyptian presidential election have lost their appeals against disqualification, officials say.
A judicial panel found no new evidence was offered by the hopefuls, including ex-spy chief Omar Suleiman and Muslim Brotherhood leader Khairat al-Shater.
The ultraconservative Salafist, Hazem Abu Ismail, also lost his appeal. The three were considered front-runners.
The BBC's correspondent in Cairo says the decision reshapes the election.
A final list of candidates will be published on 26 April, when the election campaign officially begins.
Hundreds of supporters of Mr Abu Ismail are staging a sit-in outside the commission's headquarters in Cairo which is surrounded by military police and armoured cars.
When their candidate's rejection was announced, some of them threw stones and briefly scuffled with police.
Mr Abu Ismail also arrived at the building, telling supporters: "We are exposed to a conspiracy by parties that you cannot imagine. What is happening inside the committee is treachery to create divisions."
The first round of voting is scheduled on 23 and 24 May, after which there is expected to be a run-off between the top two candidates in June.
The ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, which assumed presidential powers after Hosni Mubarak was forced to step down by an uprising last year, is due to hand over to the new president on 1 July.
'Mubarak sympathisers'
On Saturday, the Higher Presidential Election Commission (HPEC) shocked many by announcing that it had disqualified 10 of the 23 candidates, including the top two Islamist contenders and Mr Suleiman.
The former vice-president, who was head of the General Intelligence Department under Mr Mubarak, was struck off the list because he failed to get enough signatures to endorse his candidacy.
Mr Shater, a millionaire businessman and deputy leader of the Muslim Brotherhood, was ruled out because of a disputed past conviction.
Ayman Nour, a former liberal MP who challenged Mr Mubarak for the presidency in 2005, was also banned under the rule.
Mr Abu Ismail was meanwhile disqualified because his late mother held US nationality, something which the Salafist strenuously denied.
There is deep unease about the impartiality of the HPEC, reports the BBC's Jon Leyne in Cairo.
The head of the commission, Farouk Sultan, is a former army officer and judge in the military court system, and the Muslim Brotherhood have said all his fellow judges on the HPEC are sympathisers with the old regime.
The law bans any appeal against the HPEC's final decision.
Those candidates said to remain include former Arab League chief Amr Moussa, moderate Islamist Abdel Moneim Aboul Fotouh, who broke away from the Muslim Brotherhood, and former prime minister Ahmed Shafiq.
Top Stories
State of emergency declared over US cyber-attack
The move to keep fuel flowing comes after its largest pipeline was hit by a ransomware cyber-attack.
1 hour ago
Afghan children buried as attack toll rises to 60
7 hours ago
Mental health: Can you tell if someone is struggling?
1 hour ago
Features
How Indian pilgrims became Covid super-spreaders
The tech helping emergency responders save lives
Seeking sanctuary for whale dubbed a Russian spy
How a scheme forged in war creates billionaires
Student who stood up to Hitler and inspires Germany
The forgotten wonder material that 'can withstand 75 nuclear blasts'
'Leaving prison after 68 years was like being born again'
A bizarre tale of cannabis boom and bust
Dead fish mystery in Lebanese lake
Elsewhere on the BBC
Football phrases
15 sayings from around the world
Most Read
State of emergency declared over US cyber-attack1
Elon Musk reveals he has Asperger's2
Scarlett Johansson joins Golden Globes backlash3
Six shot dead at Colorado Springs birthday party4
How Indian pilgrims became Covid super-spreaders5
Mental health: Can you tell if someone is struggling?6
Rocket debris lands in Indian Ocean, China says7
Rescue operation to help whale stranded in Thames8
Afghan children buried as attack toll rises to 609
Dracula's castle offers tourists Covid vaccine10
BBC News Services
On your mobile
On smart speakers
Get news alerts
Contact BBC News
Home
News
Sport
Reel
Worklife
Travel
Future
Culture
Music
TV
Weather
Sounds
Terms of Use
About the BBC
Privacy Policy
Cookies
Accessibility Help
Parental Guidance
Contact the BBC
Get Personalised Newsletters
Why you can trust the BBC
Advertise with us
AdChoices / Do Not Sell My Info
© 2021 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read about our approach to external linking.
BBC HomepageSkip to contentAccessibility HelpSign inHomeNewsSportReelWorklifeTravelFutureCultureMenuSearchHomeNewsSportReelWorklifeTravelFutureCultureMusicTVWeatherSounds
MenuHomeCoronavirusVideoWorldUS & CanadaUKBusinessTechScienceStoriesEntertainment & ArtsMoreHealthIn PicturesReality CheckWorld News TVNewsbeatLong ReadsWorldAfricaAsiaAustraliaEuropeLatin AmericaMiddle East