🌏 Zoom International BookCrossing UnConvention 2021

Forum » Conventions and Meetings | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
For everyone missing their annual fix of Convention Fun and for anyone who has never yet experienced the camaraderie but would like to I bring you the next best thing - a Convention (mainly) by Zoom.
Bookcrossing groups from around the world will come together to present you with a weekend of online activities such as author talks, quizzes, book swaps, competitions and other Fun and Games.
There is no charge for the event although you may contribute if you wish by providing a raffle prize or by purchasing items from the Supply Store as prizes for the various games.
The date is Friday 16th - Sunday 18th April. Put it in your diary.
The theme of the weekend is "It's all about the books that you read and the people that you meet".
All details will be published here on The Conventions Forum. Watch This Space!

Here is the link to the NSS https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/573747

Thank you, miss markey

Love the idea!

so I don't know our plans yet. Probably biking around the Netherlands... If I'm not on a bike, 'd like to meet up on zoom. Is that too uncertain?

No, just drop in if and when you can. There will be a variety of things on offer over the weekend.

so I don't know our plans yet. Probably biking around the Netherlands... If I'm not on a bike, 'd like to meet up on zoom. Is that too uncertain?

here also! But I'll try to have a look on zoom. I hope to hear missmarkey call my name, i was already looking forward to that moment in Finland :-)

I'll be installing Zoom just for this! (And uninstalling it right after, hah.)

Krissa33 3 yrs ago
Great!
Thank you so much MissMarkey!

As it's virtual we will be able to meet BookCrossers from all over the world, around the clock! That's almost as good as the real thing. Minus the book buffet... which my husband is sure to be glad about.

Never used zoom...

Never used zoom...

I never did either before the pandemic but find it amazingly easy.

Never used zoom...

I never did either before the pandemic but find it amazingly easy.

Well, for us it wasn't without challenge, turns out my husband's Mac laptop is too old and can't load the audio portion. But curiously mine, the same model, can. But once you use it once or twice, yes, it's very easy.

I would suggest using it before hand first as the larger things can be a bit daunting. I am happy to set up a practice zoom meeting if this will help anyone?

A practice zoom meeting sounds a great idea. Please pm me if you’re going ahead with it if I'm not too late! Otherwise I will try to practice with my son.

Thank you! I will be there if I can!

mcsar 3 yrs ago
Lovely!
Now I can join an UnCon without travelling! Can't wait to "see" some familiar names. 8)

...as I'm pootling around on the BC site for the first time in so many months I've lost count. Apparently, I've spent the Covid-19 Pandemic period simply reading and let my BC actitivies utterly collapse. Beyond high time I reinvigorated my committments here - and what an incentive!

ALSO as kirjakko said
"I hope there will be idiot-proof guidance for dinosaurs...
Never used zoom..."

Me neither - so adventures ahead!

Great idea! I‘d like to join.
Thanks, MissMarkey, to put this up.

I had a trip to Reunion island on these dates but with the pandemic and its restrictions to travel, I am afraid I will be free this week-end so I could join you ! :-)))

As usual with a BC Convention attendees can pop in, pop out, join in, sit back, get their knitting out, heckle, banter, talk books, eat, drink (provide your own this year though;) enjoy each other's company or stick your nose in a book and no one is offended.
A programme is starting to come together.....more details in about a week.

Mil Gracias,es una gran idea.
Saludos

Oozy67 and I will pop in when we can too, looking forward to it!

Nataliec7 3 yrs ago
Amazing!
Definitely be popping in!

There are many videos on YouTube you can go take a look at, like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...

MLA 3 yrs ago
Nice
I have saved the dates.

Let's put some faces to screennames.

or I just use something else to join. Thanks for doing this. I'm missing the meetings!

or I just use something else to join. Thanks for doing this. I'm missing the meetings!

You could use a smartphone or tablet.

;-) I try

I‘m using zoom on my tablet - works nicely!
(And I even installed it myself - DEESSE, another digital dinosaur!)

I‘m using zoom on my tablet - works nicely!
(And I even installed it myself - DEESSE, another digital dinosaur!)

Us digital dinosaurs should start a support group lol! :O)

Digital dinosaur-that’s me! 😀😀😷

I'm so excited about this idea. Count me in!

wingApoloniaXwing 3 yrs ago
I'm in too
Looking forward to meeting everyone - at least virtually :-)

It would be good to see some familiar faces again and to put faces to screen names I haven't met :-)

It would be good to see some familiar faces again and to put faces to screen names I haven't met :-)

Me me, you can see me :)

Well, yes, long time no see, lass . . . good to see your name around the place from time to time :-)
But I would have thought the chances of spotting any one person, especially when they're in such a different time zone, are pretty slim :-(

Well, yes, long time no see, lass . . . good to see your name around the place from time to time :-)
But I would have thought the chances of spotting any one person, especially when they're in such a different time zone, are pretty slim :-(

Perhaps we can coordinate a time that is just slightly inconvenient for us both.

wonderful!

I'm in.
Thanks, MissMarkey.

I can't wait to see the lovely bookcrossers who are generous in sending out books to me when I was still a student. :D :D

I would like to join too.

It will be my first BookCrossing Convention.

Hi, Would love to take part (emergency haircuts not withstanding!).

It's the next best thing that I could think of to a Convention. You'll just have to imagine the hugs that you would have got had you been there in person. :)

This sounds great, and I'm sorry I won't be doing any presenting, but we have such a dodgy internet connection "out here". (For crying out loud, we're only 60 miles from Toronto!) We cannot even be on our Macs at the same time, unless we want to wait forever for things to open, and there's the endless buffering....believe me, Donfiction and I have contacted every source (Bell, Rogers, cogeco, xplornet...you name it) and until the WHOLE system is overhauled (one? two years?) we're stuck with lousy service. Anyway, I am really looking forward to seeing and meeting BX'ers from all over.

I've long fancied doing an International convention and always chickened out so really hope to be with you on Zoom.

I had spotted and intended joining the 24hour Readathon for this year but it may just be possible to actually do both - I may even give that a try!

I will obviously have to keep an eye out for what (or who) is specifically on and when.

I am familiar with Zoom as our local Book Club went virtual on Zoom from the beginning of April last year - our last 'real' meeting was March 2020, and weather permitting our next in April will be the first away from Zoom as we have lost some members during the pandemic so are down in numbers again - and hopefully, I expect I will have no problems with Zoom.

... for organizing this! So good that we have found a way to meet up in spite of the pandemic!

Looking forward to seeing everyone - even virtually :)

would be nice to see you again :-)

Hi Faizy, would be nice to see you again 😍

Like WillCaxton I always thought a BC convention sounded like fun but never had the time and/or money to go to one so having it delivered to my home sounds great.

even after the pandemic threat has eased. It could be a new way for us all to communicate even if we can't (afford to or are allowed to) travel to meet each other in person.

The date is in my diary :)

What a nice idea!
I will try to attend at least some of the things that will take place. Greetings from Greece!

What a nice idea!
I will try to attend at least some of the things that will take place. Greetings from Greece!

Sounds great, I’d love to join in please :)

If I’m free I’ll definitely Join.

fabulous idea. Do we need to sign up?

No, just use the ID and password that will be attached to each event to join via Zoom. The only thing you are asked to sign up for is a free ticket in the raffle (if you want it).

Great idea: I'm looking forward to it.

Cfreckle 3 yrs ago
Meet up
Thank you for letting me know. I'd love to join you all. I'll let my cousin know too.

I’m in! I think it’s a great idea.

Thanks, MissMarkey for letting me know about this.

What a good idea. I hope to attend some of the events, meet up (remotely) with people I haven't seen for a long time, and meet others from around the world.

I'm sure I'll be able to make at least one event, hopefully more.

Count me - thanks for pming me missmarkey.

What a big job to organize this, but thank you so much! I hope to participate, at least a bit. It was great to meet you on Zoom at the bcindc meetup!

leah152 3 yrs ago
So ok......
I just realised I can make it & my studies aren't going to interfere, yay!!!! I just signed up for zoom..... bit intimidated I have to admit, I'm used to skype lol! :O)

GinPoodle 3 yrs ago
Fantastic!
Thanks so much for doing this, I'd love to join in.

Thank you for your message and alert - I definitely want to stick my head round the door!

This actually crashes with the 2021 BookCrossing 24 hour Readathon, so I'll see what I have time and energy for...

lunacia - we are taking part in that twice on the Saturday. Take a peek at the itinerary. :)

lunacia - we are taking part in that twice on the Saturday. Take a peek at the itinerary. :)

Yes, but personally I can't do two things at the same time. ;) Also, Zoom is like Teams: it sucks energy. I have to be careful not to trigger migraines, so a day without "online meetings" is fairly important to me. But if I have energy left, I'll pop in on Sunday.

Where is the itinerary posted?

Where is the itinerary posted?

Right here: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/573911
Come and visit me in the Supply Store on Saturday!

abigailann 3 yrs ago
Thanks
Thanks MissMarkey for PMing me. I’ve not been active on the forums for a while now, so I’d have missed this otherwise. I definitely intend to take part in some of the things going on over the weekend

It will be our first weekend out of lock down since December, so I won't be available all weekend. But so looking forward to giving everyone a virtual hug

looking forward to testing my techno-skills and meeting everybody.

I'll try to pop in to say hi at least! RL is very busy atm though. But it'd be fun to catch some of you if I can :)

Hola.
Tengo k ponerme en esta interesante idea.
GRACIAS, por transmitir optimismo y cordialidad.

Great idea ! I'll try to join for a couple of hours on Saturday.

By the way, is this according to the normal Zoom-dress code? PJs and a flannel robe? No pants?

No pants?

I hope you mean pants as in trousers, not pants as in....pants!
Mind you, on Zoom no-one would know, would they!

No pants?

I hope you mean pants as in trousers, not pants as in....pants!
Mind you, on Zoom no-one would know, would they!

"My knickers were lost in translation"
- uhhhmmm, what did I mix up there? British vs. american english?
I meant pants as in trousers, well not _in_ my trousers, but _as_ my trousers. Do you say "jogging trousers", not "jogging pants"? This is getting complicated ....

Do you say "jogging trousers", not "jogging pants"? This is getting complicated ....

I know them as jogging bottoms!

Do you say "jogging trousers", not "jogging pants"? This is getting complicated ....

I know them as jogging bottoms!

Same here.

but hopefully I'll be able to make it (pants ON LOL). What a great idea!

Krissa33 3 yrs ago
Ouh guys
This is so exiting, I love it 🙃🙃🙃

may need to practice a little beforehand!

Look forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones!

Well done! It is always nice when we get catches during convention!

I had three catches this weekend, this almost never happens!

Convention vibes at work!
But I miss the Convention release walk, have to go on my own now - to drop some books at a bookfish. https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/838182

Convention vibes at work!
But I miss the Convention release walk, have to go on my own now - to drop some books at a bookfish. https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/838182

Had a look because of the bookfish. Very funny. Next time in Berlin ...

Next time in Berlin ...
PM me then - lots of cafés around where we could have a little meet-up (if that virus lets us)

Oh, I like the bookfish very much!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.