HomePrivacy and Disclaimer
We respect your rights to privacy under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth)
) and we comply with all of the Act’s requirements in respect of the collection, management and disclosure of your personal information.;
1. What is your personal information?
2. What personal information do we collect and hold?
We may collect the following types of personal information:
- email addresses;
- mailing or street address;
- telephone number;
- facsimile number;
- age or birth date;
- profession/qualifications, salary range, occupation or job title; (for Mentoring Programme);
- Student ID, student type;
- details of the member events you will attend or have attended, or CAVAL products and services you have acquired from us or which you have enquired about, together with any additional information necessary to deliver those events, products and services and to respond to your enquiries;
- any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our websites or indirectly through use of our websites or online presence, through our representatives or otherwise; and
- information you provide to us through our service centre, customer surveys or visits by our representatives from time to time.
3. How do we collect your personal information?
We collect your personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. When collecting personal information from you, we may collect in ways including:
- through your access and use of our website;
- when you attend or register to attend any of our events;
- during conversations between you and our representatives; or
- provide you with a requested CAVAL product or service (Inter-library loans and document delivery, or request access to the CARM Shared Collection);
We may also collect personal information from third parties including:
- from your employer;
- from the university or TAFE that you are a student at; or
- from third party companies such as law enforcement agencies and other government entities.
4. What happens if we can’t collect your personal information?
If you do not provide us with the personal information described above, some or all of the following may happen:
- we may not be able to register you at our events, allow you to attend our events, provide you with the requested products or services, either to the same standard or at all;
- we may not be able to provide you with information about events, libraries. products and services that you may want to hear;
5. For what purposes do we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information?
We collect personal information about you so that we can perform our business activities and to provide best possible quality of customer service.
We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- Processing applications for employment or contracts with CAVAL;
- to organise and host events that you have registered to attend;
- to provide products and services to you and to send communications requested by you or your University/TAFE institution;
- to administer the Reciprocal Borrowing Program; to administer the CAVAL university and TAFE memberships; to administer the Reciprocal Borrowing Program
- to administer the CAVAL university and TAFE memberships;
- to answer enquiries and provide information or advice about existing and new products or services;
- to assess the performance of the website and to improve the operation of the website;
- to conduct business processing functions including providing personal information to our related bodies corporate, contractors, service providers or other third parties;
- for the administrative, marketing (including direct marketing), planning, product or service development, quality control and research purposes of CAVAL, its related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers;
- to provide your updated personal information to our related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers;
- to update our records and keep your contact details up to date;
- to process and respond to any complaint made by you; and
- to comply with any law, rule, regulation, lawful and binding determination, decision or direction of a regulator, or in co-operation with any governmental authority of any country.
6. To whom may we disclose your information?
We may disclose your personal information to:
- our employees, related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers for the purposes of operation of our website or our activities, fulfilling requests by you, and to otherwise provide events, products and services to you. Including disclosing to, without limitation, web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, and professional advisors such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants;
- suppliers and other third parties with whom we have commercial relationships, for business, marketing, and related purposes; and
- any organisation for any authorised purpose with your express consent.
We may combine or share any information that we collect from you with information collected by any of our related bodies corporate (within Australia).
7. Direct marketing materials
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about our events, products and services that we consider could be of interest to you. These communications may be sent in various forms, including mail, SMS, fax and email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Spam Act 2003 (Cth)
. You consent to us sending you those direct marketing communications by any of those methods. If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method whenever practical to do so. In addition, at any time you can opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by contacting us (see the details below) or by using opt-out facilities provided in the marketing communications and we will then ensure that your name is removed from our mailing list.
We do not provide your personal information to other organisations for the purposes of direct marketing.
8. How can you access and correct your personal information?
You can request access to any personal information we hold about you at any time by contacting us (see the details below). Where we hold information that you are entitled to access, we will try to provide you with suitable means of accessing it (for example, by mailing or emailing it to you). We may charge you a fee to cover our administrative and other reasonable costs in providing the information to you. We will not charge for simply making the request and will not charge for making any corrections to your personal information.
There may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the personal information we hold. For example, we may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality. If that happens, we will give you written reasons for any refusal.
If you believe that personal information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request us to amend it. We will consider if the information requires amendment. If we do not agree that there are grounds for amendment then we will add a note to the personal information stating that you disagree with it.
9. Do we disclose your personal information to anyone outside Australia?
We may disclose personal information to our related bodies corporate and third party suppliers and service providers located overseas for some of the purposes listed above.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipients of your personal information do not breach the privacy obligations relating to your personal information.
We take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is protected from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We may hold your information in either electronic or hard copy form. Personal information is destroyed or de-identified when no longer needed.
As our website is linked to the internet, and the internet is inherently insecure, we cannot provide any assurance regarding the security of transmission of information you communicate to us online. We also cannot guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the internet. Accordingly, any personal information or other information which you transmit to us online is transmitted at your own risk.
Our website may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third party website and we are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of any third party website. Third party websites are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices.
12. What is the process for complaining about a breach of privacy?
If you believe that your privacy has been breached, please contact our Privacy Officer using the contact information below and provide details of the incident so that we can investigate it.
We request that complaints about breaches of privacy be made in writing, so we can be sure about the details of the complaint. We will treat your requests or complaints confidentially. Our representative will contact you within a reasonable time after receipt of your complaint to discuss your concerns and outline options regarding how they may be resolved. We will aim to ensure that your complaint is resolved in timely and appropriate manner.
13. Contacting us
Please contact our Privacy Officer at:
Privacy Officer, CAVAL Limited
CAVAL has used reasonable endeavours to ensure that material contained on this web site was correct at the time the relevant page was created, modified and published. However, CAVAL gives no warranty and accepts no responsibility for the accuracy or the completeness of the material.
No reliance should be made by any user on the material, but instead the user should check for confirmation with the originating or authorising department or other body.
CAVAL reserves the right at any time to make changes as it deems appropriate.
CAVAL provides external links as a service to users of its web site. In providing an external link CAVAL does not accept responsibility for or endorse the content or condition of any linked site.