Learning Experiences All Students Can Share. We’re working to make learning more accessible to everyone—because learning becomes a richer experience when every student participates.
Quality Learning Starts with Inclusivity
At Cengage, our goal is to deliver quality learning experiences to all learners.
Inclusivity is one of our core learning design principles. If a learning experience can’t be accessed by all learners, it doesn’t live up to our standard of quality learning.
Accessibility at Cengage
To us, accessibility means more than enabling every learner to use a product—it means being able to use that product in a way that delivers a meaningful learning experience and result.
Here’s a look at a few of the ways we’re working to make Cengage learning experiences accessible:
- Meeting internationally recognized standards for accessibility: We’re taking active steps to make sure our products adhere to WCAG 2.1 AA/Section 508
- Designing with inclusivity in mind: We’ve trained our teams to develop products with accessibility in mind by always considering the diversity of the learners we serve
- Going beyond accessibility audits and VPATs: We engage partners to continually review and evaluate the accessibility of our products
- Continued transparency: When it comes to accessibility, we’re transparent about where we’re at, what’s ahead of us and where we ultimately aspire to be
Here's How We Do It
Resources and Collaboration
- We have a team of accessibility specialists dedicated to supporting development teams and Disability Support Services Offices to help students and instructors who experience a barrier.
- We incorporate users with diverse abilities in our research and testing.
- Cross-functional working groups plan and implement accessibility initiatives.
Processes and Documentation
- We have created—and regularly update—guidelines and training material to support our teams in developing accessible learning solutions.
- We conduct accessibility checks throughout the development process.
- We have implemented processes in partnership with third-party vendors who assist in content remediation when accessibility issues are identified.
- We have engaged Perkins Access, a division of Perkins School for the Blind, to conduct accessibility evaluations of our key platforms, develop VPATs and provide ongoing consultation.
Let Us Know How We Can Help You Make Learning More Accessible
We’re not only working to make the newest Cengage products accessible to everyone—we’re working with you to help make our legacy offerings meet your needs.
Do you have a learner who is not able to access their course material? We have a team to support you.
We have partnerships with Access Text Network and NiMac to quickly provide alternate formats of our textbooks. If they are not available through our partners, we’ll provide them directly.
Services and Compliance
Cengage provides PDF or DOC files on demand, at no charge, to DSS offices upon request for qualified students with visual or hearing impairment.
Request Alternative Format
Get additional help with Cengage PDF or DOC files on demand for qualified students with visual or hearing impairment.
Request Additional Assistance
Cengage is in compliance with the National Instructional Materials Access Center (NIMAC) requirements for K–12 textbooks and related supplemental material.
Visit the NIMAC Website
Accessibility Requests, Questions, Comments or Suggestions
To request accessibility documentation, alternate formats or to notify us of accessibility barriers identified in our products, complete the Cengage Online Request Form: Cengage Online Request Form
If you have a general question about accessibility or a comment or suggestion related to accessibility, send an email to the Cengage Accessibility team: Contact Accessibility
See our Alternate Format Requests page for additional information about requesting alternate formats for students and instructors with disabilities: Alternate Format Requests
Voluntary Product Accessibility Templates (VPATs)
Review and download existing platform Voluntary Product Accessibility Templates (VPATs):
Rights & Permissions
If you need to request rights and permissions to reuse Cengage copyrighted material that is unrelated to accessibility, visit the Cengage Rights and Permissions page:
©2021 Cengage Learning, Inc. and its affiliates