FAQs - Tax Exemption
How does my organization become tax exempt?
Tax exemption is granted by the Internal Revenue Service.Your organization must apply to the IRS for tax exemption by filing IRS form 1023 with the IRS.That form is available on the Internet at​, and instructions for completing that form are posted at .
Does my organization have to apply for tax exemption in New York State?
New York recognizes the tax exemption granted by the IRS.However, in order to receive exemption from New York State sales tax, you must apply to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance for Form ST-119.1 (certification of exemption). Contact information for the Department of Taxation is posted at: .
Organizations seeking property tax exemption must consult the local tax authorities.

Home | Contact Us
© 2019 NEW YORK STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL. All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Accessibility Policy
About the Charities BureauComplaint FormFAQsGuides & PublicationsHelpful WebsitesPennies for Charity Search the RegistryStatutes & RegulationsOnline SeminarsOnline Registration UserguidesContact Us