AVIS28 – Inspiring Switzerland to be ready for the future
Think about the future to chart the right course today: that is the goal of Switzerland's 2028 Foreign Policy Vision. The report of the working group commissioned by Federal Councillor Ignazio Cassis was published on 2 July 2019 and is intended to act as a source of inspiration for the FDFA's development of Switzerland's foreign policy.
What will the world look like in ten years? Right now, no one knows. But it is important to think about such matters today – what trends might become even stronger in the future, and what consequences could this have for people and societies? For the FDFA too, a responsible foreign policy means asking the right questions in order to start working in good time on the framework needed for a future-oriented Switzerland.
Switzerland in the world in 2028
Switzerland's 2028 Foreign Policy Vision (AVIS28) is an important step in this direction. Between October 2018 and March 2019, the working group commissioned by Mr Cassis considered the question of how Switzerland should position itself globally in terms of its future foreign policy. The report is intended to provide new input to steer Swiss foreign policy in line with future challenges and opportunities. The report 'Switzerland in the world in 2028' was written by the working group, not the FDFA.
It analyses global drivers of change and draws conclusions for Swiss foreign policy in the medium-term. The report sets out a vision for Swiss foreign policy over the next ten years in six key areas.
Switzerland in the world in 2028 (PDF, 5.7 MB, English)
The working group on Switzerland's 2028 Foreign Policy Vision
The working group comprised senior FDFA staff, the president of the Conference of the Cantonal Governments of Switzerland and experts from the scientific community, business sector and civil society. The experts were appointed personally by Federal Councillor Ignazio Cassis to provide an outside perspective on global affairs and Swiss foreign policy and augment the internal views put forward within the FDFA.
Members of the AVIS28 working group:
- Dr Philipp Aerni, Director of the Center for Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability at the University of Zurich
- Pascale Baeriswyl, State Secretary, Head of the Directorate of Political Affairs, FDFA
- Dr Roberto Balzaretti, State Secretary, Head of the Directorate for European Affairs, FDFA
- Alenka Bonnard, Director and co-founder of staatslabor
- Dr Manuel Sager, Ambassador, SDC Director-General, FDFA
- Dr Markus Seiler, FDFA General Secretary (head of the working group)
- Peter R. Voser, Chairman of the Board of Directors, ABB
- Dr Thomas Wellauer, Group Chief Operating Officer, Swiss Re
- Benedikt Würth, Cantonal Councillor, President of the Conference of the Cantonal Governments of Switzerland
Secretary: Dr Daniel Möckli, Expert, FDFA General Secretariat
The aforementioned titles refer to the respective functions held at the time of nomination.
As requested by Mr Cassis, FDFA staff were also able to contribute their analyses, concepts and ideas. To this end, a number of sounding boards were created. The results of these discussions and inputs were passed on to the working group.
The FDFA online
Social media channels
Swiss representations abroad
Federal Administration online
Federal Department of Foreign Affairs FDFA